• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Zucchini bumper crop

jwagnerdsm

I skimmed through this topic and didn't see a link for this recipe site that has several very tasty recipes for using up excess zucchini

(and in my case eggplant because I have lots).

They work with other summer squash as I also have had a bumper crop of yellow crookneck and pattypan squash.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I recently read an article on squash blossoms, which made me think that using zucchini blossoms would be an effective means of squash birth control. I sure wish my dad had known about that back when he had his giant garden.

I recently read an article on squash blossoms, which made me think that using zucchini blossoms would be an effective means of squash birth control. I sure wish my dad had known about that back when he had his giant garden.

There have been years when the only reason I planted the zucchini was for blossoms. We would harvest good numbers of them and fry them up and share with the neighbors as a pre-dinner treat. In the years when I think I do want them, I am seduced by their vigorous growth compared to some of the other summer vegetables, and am loathe to pick too many flowers for fear I will not have enough squash. It's a very clever sqwuash :smile: The most effective "control" measure I have found as a happy medium is to vigilantly examine the beds and pick them at a young and tender age. As the season progresses, and the yield wanes, and interest also wanes, I may let one or two go to baseball bat size. Not for eating, but carved and lit ala Jack-o-lanterns...

This time of year we make a lot of zucchini and summer squash by halving them, scoring the flesh half, S&P and olive oil, and grilling them. Then I finish them with some acid and an herb: lime and mint; sherry vinegar and thyme; balsamic and basil. That sort of thing. No leftovers.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

4814369342_fffe285e54_b.jpg

Summer squash gratin

Sucrine salad with sherry vinaigrette

Gratin adapted from Alice Waters' recipe in The Art of Simple Food. I didn't make very many tweaks, apart from the fried breadcrumb topping and the use of red onions (b/c it's what I had on hand). Also used three different varieties of summer squash (globe zucchini, yellow zucchini and sunburst squash).

I like to use zucchini as a simple pasta sauce--first I sautee cubes in olive oil until there is some browning, then I add salt, red pepper flakes, and lots of garlic then let cook down until zucchini has lost its integrity. The salt will release liquid from the zucchini and let everything simmer until smooth. I usually start the water boiling for pasta right after I add the salt, and then the sauce is ready at the same time as the pasta. Taste at the end of cooking for seasoning--sometimes I add a bit of lemon juice or tomato for acidity, and, of course, cheese. Something sharper like pecorino is nice here, but Parmigiano-Reggiano is also good.

• 3 weeks later...

My 6 zucchini plants have gone into overdrive and after putting up 6 quarts of bread and butter pickled zucchini, I still had some in the basket and no room in the fridge.

I searched through my list of food blogs and came across this interesting recipe.

I got carried away with the grating and ended up with 4 cups so doubled the recipe. (I'm freezing the extras.)

I used my muffin rings to keep the fritters contained and neat appearing.

The results are delicious - I topped them with a yogurt/dill/lemon sauce.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I searched through my list of food blogs and came across this interesting recipe.

The results are delicious - I topped them with a yogurt/dill/lemon sauce.

Thanks Andie- I just found 2 biggies in a flower bed where I had stuck them just for their foliage and flower and forgotten about them. I saw that post about fritters long ago and had forgotten about his blog. I like the use of herbs which are also abundant now as well as the accompanying tzatziki since cucumbers are still producing. Great use of all the current produce.

the pickled ones from the Zuni Cafe book are simply to die for and super easy, I could eat those every day. Other than that I just cook them low and slow with olive oil and butter. First throw in an appropriate amount of onions, cook those until golden, add fitting amount of garlic, then the zuces and let it all simmer down into a nice tasty mush. Something I learned from my Italian uncle who lives in Regio Emilia, the center of everything that tastes good :-)

Ad s&p to taste, finish with some more olive oil and crushed pepperoncini and you're done :-)

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

• 4 years later...

Foolishly I planted five zucchini plants thinking I would harvest them when they were nice and small so therefore I would NEED five plants.  Wrong.  I get six+ little gems a day at the moment.

This was zucchini and arugula salad was delicious:  

1 garlic clove

3 oil cured anchovies
1 oz lemon juice
1.5 oz Fonterutoli extra virgin olive oil*
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

8 oz green zucchini (whole)
8 oz yellow zucchini (or yellow crookneck squash) (whole)
2.5 oz arugula

Serves 4 as a starter salad

Crush the garlic in a mortar and pestle. Add the anchovies and crush them too. Add the lemon juice and combine with the garlic and anchovies and then add the olive oil, stirring it all together to emulsify the dressing.
DSC00965.JPG
  • Like 7

Foolishly I planted five zucchini plants thinking I would harvest them when they were nice and small so therefore I would NEED five plants.  Wrong.  I get six+ little gems a day at the moment.

This was zucchini and arugula salad was delicious:  

1 garlic clove

3 oil cured anchovies
1 oz lemon juice
1.5 oz Fonterutoli extra virgin olive oil*
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

8 oz green zucchini (whole)
8 oz yellow zucchini (or yellow crookneck squash) (whole)
2.5 oz arugula

Serves 4 as a starter salad

Crush the garlic in a mortar and pestle. Add the anchovies and crush them too. Add the lemon juice and combine with the garlic and anchovies and then add the olive oil, stirring it all together to emulsify the dressing.

Those look like medium-sized zucchinis, really. 

Consider harvesting them when they are truly small, with or without the blossoms still attached.  They should  not be more than 2-3 inches (or maybe 4 at most) in length (excluding the blossom).  I've shown baby zucchini I've picked up from my local farmerrs' market, where the grower picked these babies while they were the lengths I mentioned.

I realize that some may think it wasteful  not to let every zucchini develop to a large size, but that is a different story from "harvesting small zucchini" for their own sake as well as having enough plants to provide a steady stream of 2 to 3 inch length baby zucchinis.

They are?   OK then.

I was going by the the salad bowl and fork/spoon -- which I guessed was like most such bowls, maybe 9-10 inches diameter - so that slice of zucchini prominent in the middle would be about 2/3 of the diameter, about 6+ inches long.

Perhaps just pick more when they are 2 inches long, then!

Back in my gardening days, this was favorite recipe for dealing with over-abundant zucchini: 

ZUCCHINI MOCK-APPLE PIE

Zucchini: 
6 to 8 c. zucchini, peeled, seeds removed, sliced
2/3 c. fresh lemon juice
1 c sugar
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon

Crust:
4 c flour
2 c sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3 sticks butter

Directions: 

Peel the zucchini, then cut in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Slice into appx. 1/3 inch thick slices as you would for an apple pie.  
Simmer in lemon juice until tender...20 to 25 minutes.  
Add sugar and spice and stir.  Set aside and cool completely. 

To make crust mixture: 
Combine dry ingredients, then cut in butter until pea size.

To assemble: 
Add 1 cup of the crust mixture to the cooled zucchini mixture and stir.  Set aside.

Put 1/2 of the remaining crust mixture into a greased 13x9 pan, pressing down to form bottom crust.  Bake 375 for 10 min.  

Remove bottom crust from oven, and top with the zucchini mixture.  Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp cinnamon.  Distribute rest of crust mixture over zucchini.  

Return to oven and bake at 375 for 35 to 40 min.  

Let cool at least one hour before slicing and serving.  
  • Like 2