• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Suzanne F - at the risk of shattering my image

Suzanne F

Yeah, I know a blog is supposed to be one-way, but Hey, I'm getting lonely here!  Doesn't anybody want to say anything?  Pretty please??  :unsure:

Well, I WAS waiting for hourly reports at the farmer's market, but no one came. :sad:

In defense of Maggi... Zarela makes a killer vinegarette that has Maggi in it. It is one of my staples. It is in her first book, Food From My Heart.

Maggi is The Devil's Head Oil.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

In defense of Maggi... Zarela makes a killer vinegarette that has Maggi in it. It is one of my staples. It is in her first book, Food From My Heart.

Maggi is The Devil's Head Oil.

Ah... But you would be surprised how often it shows up in "authentic" Mexican cooking. And I mean really authentic. As does evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, Knorr chicken base, and more. When I say "authentic" I mean the little cafe's, and the abuelitos kitchens. And that cooking is GOOD!

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Did you all miss me??

Let's see: another half a peach this morning (different peach, though) and a cup of instant Bustelo with skim milk, and vitamins. Then off to the Food Emporium on the other side of town. I hate that store since they started giving "bonus points" instead of discounts. I mean, do I really need a free meal at The Olive Garden, or some such place? :angry: No. I want lower prices, dammit!!

Once home, nibbling while putting stuff away:

- Terra Chips Zesty Tomato and Mediterranean, 2 new flavored versions of the veggie chips. Pretty darn good, the Mediterranean having a slight edge over the tomato, because the flavoring is sprayed on unevenly.

- a couple of pieces of cheddar cheese (nothing special).

- a couple of glasses of La Gitana, followed by a bottle of Bass Ale. :biggrin:

- and . . . and . . . ?? I think that's been it so far today. :shock:

But I started a big old pot of turkey stock, because they had some reduced-price wings: 4 huge ones, about 7 pounds, plus a couple of leeks, several carrots, celery stalks, parsley sprigs, whole peppercorns, and a dried bouquet garni that I'd forgotten I had. And the rest of the chicken broth I used for last night's pan sauce.

Now I've got to strain the stock and throw the bones back in while I reduce it some. Bye.

Lady T, if the turkey stock smells rather strange, it's because I made some "roast garlic stock" at the same time. When I went to puree the garlic cloves I roasted yesterday, I discovered they were rather well done, rather than done well. :sad: But with extra oil in the blender jar, they did become a tar-like paste. Usually I puree with the food mill, and have just a mush of skins left. But since the skins were still whole, and the puree so thick, I thought perhaps I would make "stock" by boiling the garlic clove skins. Then I could use the stock to thin the puree. The stock is now cooling, but I have yet to combine it with the paste.

While HWOE has been making the salad now, I've been enjoying an aperitif of Paumonok Festival Chardonnay (left from last night's sauce), followed by another white grape/peach spritzer. Gotta go now to finish my part of dinner: reheated penne from a couple of days ago, and "product" (frozen crab cakes, not homemade, alas).

PS: Elyse, the check is in the mail. :wink::raz:

Unfortunately, dinner was as warned:

- Leftover squid ink penne with a cuvee of tomato sauces (nuked)

- Mrs. Paul's so-called Crab Cakes

- French's "GourMayo" in supposed Wasabi and Chipotle flavors. Hey, I had coupons, so I figured I'd try them. And I can tell you now:DON'T BOTHER. Not as disgusting as Ranch Dip, but not worth the space they take up in the fridge.

- HWOE's salad w/olive oil and (supermarket) balsamic -- but about half the vegetables were from the Greenmarket, so it was still pretty good.

- Red Hook IPA.

When putting my leftover salad in the fridge, I found YESTERDAY'S l.o. salad I'd forgotten about. :unsure: No wonder there's no room in there.

I think I'll transfer the turkey stock to the slow cooker before I go to sleep. It needs to reduce more.

Put the stock in the oven on about 200. It will be fine until morning. So says the SSB.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

at the risk of shattering my image (thread sub-head)

Well, Suzanne, you have succeeded in doing so for me. :shock::laugh: I know you warned us...

"...don't expect any gourmet tap-dance."

But, still....

The one thing your blog and the others have done is make me feel pretty good about my eating habits. :biggrin:

Glad I could make you happy, Roz!! :laugh: It's kind of like those perennial "What do great chefs REALLY like to eat?" articles. Not that I'm anywhere near a chef, but. . .

Just a quick post for today:

"Jamon Serrano" from a company in Virginia on Balthazar baguette, with butter

1/4 of a not-very-good canteloupe

Cranberry cocktail spritzer.

Now we're off to the Aquarium. See y'all later!

A trip to the NY Aquarium must always be accompanied by a visit to Nathan's. That's just a given. Usually we stop there on the way home, which can wreak havoc with my ability to eat dinner. So today we stopped there first -- easy to do, since we had to take the subway to Stillwell Avenue, right where Nathan's is located (the stop closer to the Aquarium is closed).

So I had 1 hot dog with mustard, and a small order of fries with ketchup. And a sip of HWOE's root beer.

We had a terrific time at the Aquarium, as always. Ah, California sea otters! And they have a new exhibit called "Alien Stingers" on jellyfish, sea anemones, and coral -- my favorites!. But of course we were getting hungry by the time we left. Shall we have fish at Thalassa ($$$) or shore. ($)? Or stay in Brooklyn and eat somewhere by Sheepshead Bay (not Lundy's)? Or Middle Eastern on Atlantic Avenue near Court Street? We ended up deciding that 1 hot dog each had not been enough, so I would make hot dogs at home.

On the subway home, I had some water and a bite of fabulous Greenmarket peach; HWOE ate the rest of the peach and a half-awful, half great nectarine.

So dinner was Hebrew National Reduced Fat hot dogs, 2 each, one on a regular white Arnold hot dog roll, the other on an Arnold whole wheat hot dog roll (okay, but why bother?). With (not all on the same hot dog): Dijon mustard, grainy mustard, sauerkraut, sweet pickle relish, and pickled tamarind sprouts. Plus, of course, salad. And beer -- I had a Bass Ale. Followed by a little more of that Haagen Dazs coffee/chocolate ice cream with some coffee liquer and chocolate-infused tequila poured over.

It's about time I gave this up. How about . . .

fifi! :biggrin:

Edited by Suzanne F (log)

ARG! You forget. I don't eat. It is really pathetic.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Oh... I'll do it. Have to pay my dues.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Oh... I'll do it. Have to pay my dues.

Three days of corn dogs, here we come!! :laugh:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs