• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Steakhouse In New Jersey

Rosie

Now, I'm going to have to go to Richie's. How much is Richie's steak in comparision to The Strip House? I heard they were a little high end. Then again, they've said the same about my place but I think I personally offset any idea of high end. :raz:

Lreda, I've read a few of your posts, and I've seen you mention your place. I assume you're not trying to take advantage of this forum to advertise you're own place, but I've become curious. Which place is yours, and where is it located?

Edited by hitmanoo (log)

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

Lreda, I've read a few of your posts, and I've seen you mention your place.  I assume you're not trying to take advantage of this forum to advertise you're own place, but I've become curious.  Which place is yours, and where is it located?

To keep Lou from promoting his restaurant, I'll do it... :biggrin:

Click here!

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

Ah, an American Grill!

I've heard good things about your place. Congrats!

My friend had mentioned it to me several times, but we have not yet had a chance to check it out. I'm looking forward to it! :smile:

The extensive menu looks pretty darn good... I may have to make a couple of trips!

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Richie's is in Montclair, right near the Walnut St. train station.

This is from a steak-obsessed friend in Spring Lake:

The best steaks in NJ consistantly is :

Brennen's Steak House (No web site)

Address: 62 W Sylvania Ave, Neptune, NJ 07753

Phone: (732) 774-5040

I've been hearing a lot about this place, but just havent made the effort to visit.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Anyone have any experiences at The Chophouse in Gibbsboro? I hear they make a mean steak but don;t know anyone that's been there.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

anyone been to the park steakhouse in park ridge? we have a wedding in park ridge and are thinking of going there the night after for dinner. thanks

We just went there last Friday. They just opened up a martini lounge downstairs, which is where we wound up eating. There was some live music that I wanted to hear, so thats why we did that. The food was ok, the steak was pretty darn good. Cooked nicely, tender and flavorful. Not the best, but certainly above average. The weakest part of the dining experience was the very uninspired wine list. Full of boring bottles from lousy years, it wasn't worth the money, which is ironic since we wound up drinking our faces off... :biggrin: Thank goodness for designated drivers!

I don't know what else is in that area, so I have nothing to compare it to. It was a good place with friendly service. The music was fantastic. I don't think I would drive there from Wayne again, but for convenience I think it would be a good idea. And if there is live music, all the better!!

Anthony

Edited by adegiulio (log)

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

Nope, only the same three exist: Edgewater, Fair Lawn and Mahwah.  I really wish they'd open another closer to Monmouth  :sad:

I prefer the Park Steakhouse in Park Ridge. I find the FL Palm is overrated, lack of food presentation and poor wine service.

Bouquet du Vin

http://www.bouquetduvin.com

ameyer@bouquetduvin.com

I prefer the Park Steakhouse in Park Ridge.  I find the FL Palm is overrated, lack of food presentation and poor wine service.

I've never been to The Park. I first heard about it 5 years ago from a coworker. When I go to a steakhouse my primary concern is beef. However, nothing yet has enticed me to go to The Park for beef.

THNX,

:D

• 3 months later...

For an old-school NJ experience, Steve's Sizzling Steaks on Rt 17S is pretty solid. It's right before the exit for the Meadowlands. My only problem here is consistency. I have had some amazing steaks here as well as some average ones. I would recommend ordering them a little on the rarer side, because the steaks are served sizzling in a salty butter sauce, and will continue to cook on your plate. I am not a huge fillet person, but Steve's does a mean 12 ouncer (order it rare). Their strips are very good as well. When you catch Steve's on a good night, their steaks are truly excellent. I love the salty sauce they use!

The best Porterhouses for 2 that I have had in NJ can be found at the River Palm Terrace in Edgewater. However, considering the high pricing, I would opt to make the drive to Brooklyn and go to Lugers.

LOL, I've been to Steve's Sizzling Steaks many times. Definitely order rare if you like your steak medium rare. Salty as hell and the mushrooms are awesome. I always got the filet because it is the only tolerable cut for me there.

I do think the best steak I have had in NJ is at Fleming's in Edgewater/Fort lee area right on the end of that newer shopping center. I had the filet and it was perfectly meduim rare to rare. They served us champagne in tall glasses, not flutes and I loved that. Awesome meal there.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

The best Porterhouses for 2 that I have had in NJ can be found at the River Palm Terrace in Edgewater. However, considering the high pricing, I would opt to make the drive to Brooklyn and go to Lugers.

I agree (and I don't agree with the driving part)!

Edited by steakas (log)

• 3 weeks later...

It's time for South Jersey recommendations.....

The Chophouse is getting excellent reviews in Gibbsboro or Evesham. It's on the border. Maybe it's even considered Voorhees. It's very dressup. I haven't been, but several friends recommend it highly.

My favorite though is The Library II on Route 73 in Evesham. It's the best of the mini-South Jersey chain. You go up and tell them how much of what cut you want. Superb quality (not cheap), but well worth it because it IS the best salad bar in the universe...I don't know if it's the fresh fruit, cheeses, varieties of homemade bread, the veggies, all types of greens, prepared salads including Waldorf or everything together. It's included with any entree. They also make fabulous mixed drinks!! The beef is excellent!!