• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Steakhouse In New Jersey

Rosie

NJ steak places. Wow, a thread so near and dear to my heart -- and stomach.

Great thread. Besides different people liking different things, I think there is a great deal of insight on this thread. Be that as it may, I am a steak guy. Always have been, always will be. I live in Northern NJ so my usual spots are there. I do travel of course to enjoy fine dining and food but I find myself going to my usual spots in the default mode if you know what I mean.

I have always enjoyed the River Palm (Edgewater). Fair Lawn and Mahwah are nice, and certainly the steaks are good; and I am sure it's the ambiance or environment, but I just enjoy Edgewater more. I also very much enjoy The Assembly in Englewood Cliffs. When Jack (who is the co-owner) is cooking, watch out. Heading down "the hill" into Englewood, Smoke is another restaurant I have always liked very much. When I can combine two of my favorite things (steak and smoking cigars), that's already a huge edge in my book. Ninety Grand I very much liked when Jamie was there. It was also good after but there was some transition. I am very interested in seeing the new rendition of the River Palm -- that being the Ocean Palm. BTW, they are open.

Flemings in Edgewater is also very good. Very first there -- the chef, Scott, is a super nice guy, came out introduced himself, chatted with us for a bit, gave me his card, etc.

And -- laugh if you want, but I've had a couple of steaks at Segovia (over by the Meadowlands) that were excellent.

Anyway, there are others I like but I'll end there. I think that "what" a steakhouse "is trying to be" is one thing. Sure, their goal is important. I more look to whatever it is it is. I enjoy getting to the restaurant early. I used to love being able to smoke a cigar. Oh do I miss those days, LOL. I like going to the bar and sitting down. Ordering a martini (hopefully I was able to catch teh bartender making one for someone else, LOL). It's rare that you get a really bad bartender at a steakhouse. It's happened but they usually don't last. The experience to me is important.

But what am I going to make of it, the experience, the people, the food, the entire dynamic. It can be a loud, brash, rough waiter, etc. like at Luger's or it can be more downbeat and almost a bit more upscale (relative terms) like The Old Homestead or Smith & Wollensky. I've been to the "real man's" steak joint where you thought a fight was going to break out any second because everyone was just so macho. I've also been to the steakhouse that dropping your fork would be the talk of the night (this comparison was my so-so at best effort at humor and a bit of theatrics, LOL). Maybe it's just me but I find that mood, environement, people, etc. can add to and take away from the meal, the food, the entire experience. I guess I wouldn't make a good food critic.

So -- great thread and thank you to everyone.

Eric

An unbutchered porterhouse can be graded 'prime'. If it is butchered into a filet and a sirloin, would they each be considered prime?

now that NJ is smoke free, Lorenzo's is worth a visit...the cigar and cig smoke used to kill me.

Haven't been but I have heard it is very good. It's on my list. So many restaurants ......

I enjoy Morton's in Hackensack

Yes, there is another one I like. My office is nearby and I used to have business lunches there often. Unfortunately they are no longer open for lunch. I also used to go there after the business day -- meet clients, friends, etc. I used to enjoy having a drink and smoking a nice cigar. No more. LOL.

I am overdue for dinner there. Thanks for the reminder.

Eric

An unbutchered porterhouse can be graded 'prime'. If  it is butchered into a filet and a sirloin, would they each be considered prime?

I suppose so. and then you'd be paying top dollar for a grading of prime on a filet that likely wouldn't make a bit of difference in taste or texture anyway.

on a different note, if you are able to cut a porterhouse into a sirloin then you can work magic. :biggrin: i think that a porterhouse is generally a tenderloin and a strip. the terminology is abused and mis-used, but i think this is the widely accepted usage.

Edited by tommy (log)

• 1 month later...
I called and they said the PH for 2 dry aged 21 days.  Me must check it out :biggrin:.  tkd7, who does it rank over? Thanks!

The places we've been (in no particular order)

Sammy's

Peter Luger

Chophouse

Morton's

Roots

Ruth's Chris

My favorite steak was the Metropolitan Grill in Seattle.

What are your suggestions?

I moved my response b/c I thought this place was more appropriate.

In response, tkd7, I've always had consistent steaks at River Palm Terrace in Edgewater. River Palm serves what I think is the best steak at a steakhouse in NJ. I've also had excellent beef at Pete Lorenzo's in Trenton and Strip House in Livingston. My suggestion is you go to John's Market in Scotch Plains and cook your own steak. They are great.

Keep in mind that John's boneless steaks are wet aged. Their dry aged bone-in cuts are exceptional.

I always wanted to go to the Met. One day.

:Dave

ps: any good steaks someplace else lately? Anything new?? someone there??? thanks

:D

I've also had excellent beef at Pete Lorenzo's in Trenton

I'd have agreed with you about 8 years ago but I'm afraid this place has jumped the shark. We used to be regulars eating there at least 2-3 times a month but I feel the quality has totally been lacking while the price is rising.

I'd have agreed with you about 8 years ago but I'm afraid this place has jumped the shark. We used to be regulars eating there at least 2-3 times a month but I feel the quality has totally been lacking while the price is rising.

depressing... :(

depressing... :(

Truly so because after Peter Lugers, I thought it was the best dry aged steak anywhere

I'll have to try Pete Lorenzo's in Trenton.  One of the guys we go with lives in Haddonfield and we are looking for places in his neck of the woods.

If you're looking closer to Haddonfield then try The ChopHouse in Gibbsboro. A lot closer than Trenton and pretty much a straight shot down Haddonfield-Berlin Rd./Rt. 561.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Great thread. Every serious steak eater has a "favorite" so to speak. I also think that sometimes the favorite, in a certain context, might have to do with geographics (perhaps to an extent, even if not conciously). If a place is close to us, and we like it, we tend to go there more often.

The Northern NJ/Bergen county crowd raves about The River Palm et al, the Essex County meat lovers talk about The Strip House et al, and the Southern NJ crowd talks about Pete Lorenzo's (or at least they used to, perhaps these days it's The ChopHouse) et al. You will go to every restaurant on this thread and you will find yourself viewing your favorite as the benchmark. You can visit all the others, and even in the ones you like, of course somewhere along the line, you are going to get a steak that is not as good as the rest. Sure, maybe someone will never have a "bad" steak at one place. Maybe it's that place that is our favorite. Of course everyone's tastebuds are different and different tastes, qualities, nuances, etc. appeal to different people.

Anyway, I eat steak. It's pretty much what I eat. I rarely eat chicken. Extremely rare is veal, and it's always been veal parmigiana. Never pork or lamb. Other than sushi, a once in a blue moon lobster, I don't eat fish. I've been to pretty much every place mentioned on this thread. I've heard countless people rave about The Strip House. Been there, done that, many times. I like it. It's very good. I wouldn't say anything bad about it at all. I just don't rave about it. If I lived 15 minutes away, I'd be there often, but for a nice night out, I would rather drive 45 minutes and go to the River Palm (yes, the one in Edgewater).

My favorites are The River Palm and The Assembly. Now, the River Palm is a very common favorite. A top-notch steakhouse. My other favorite, The Assembly, is not nearly as common a favorite with most people. However, I will often opt for The Assembly. I know the people there, I like the bar, the atmoshere, etc. I have never had a bad steak there either. I also, for the most part, don't view the steak as any less quality, any less good, etc. there than at The River Palm. I've eaten at The Park dozens and dozens of times as I have friends who live in the area, like it very much, etc. It's not bad, but I don't like it anywhere near some others. I know others who love the place. I think Morton's (Hackensack) has a following although I don't know if they are there for the long haul. I've had some nice steaks at Sammy's (Mendham). I enjoy Flemming's (Edgewater)

Some of the places mentioned aren't even steakhouses per se. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with that and there are places that I get an enjoyable steak that aren't steakhouses. If you like it, go there and go there often. LOL. I've met with friends and been in the mood for a steak and had a very enjoyable steak at The Porterhouse (Montvale) and that is certainly not a high-end steakhouse. I used to like Smoke (Englewood) but some of the people I know (the chef, waiters, etc.) have left and the place seems to have become very club'ish. I've had lunch there a few times recently and the food is still good, but IMHO nothing like it used to be. I also very much liked Nintey Grand and have been a fan of the chef's (the original one) for some time. Laugh if you want, but I've had a very enjoyable steak at Segovia (Moonachie). It's not The River Palm, or like a NY steakhouse, but if I am there, I can order a steak and enjoy it.

Anyway, most of all, like I said, great thread.

Eric

• 3 months later...

I recently went to Sammys Ye Olde Cider Mill. I ordered the porterhouse for $50. It was very good, but not fantastic. Not for $50. I prefer Pete Lorenzos and think they do a better job of dry-aging as well.

Does River Palm dry aged their porterhouse, t-bone, and shell steaks?

It's next on my radar.

I recently went to Sammys Ye Olde Cider Mill.  I ordered the porterhouse for $50.  It was very good, but not fantastic.  Not for $50.  I prefer Pete Lorenzos and think they do a better job of dry-aging as well.

Does River Palm dry aged their porterhouse, t-bone, and shell steaks?

It's next on my radar.

Evangelos, I agree with you on Sammy’s & Lorenzo's. I really like Sammy's; their steak is up there but not the overall best. I really like Sammy’s - everything from soup to nuts and especially the Shrimp Scampi. Lorenzo’s is also very good but they have slipped over the years.

River Palm Terrace does dry age their porterhouse, T-Bone and strip steak. Their steak is probably the best in the State and very consistent. I personally like the Edgewater location best. RPT’s sides and appetizers never impressed me.

I heard they chain opened a seafood restaurant. This makes it their fourth restaurant. I haven't been to RPT in almost 2 years so I hope things haven't slipped and changed. Please give RPT a try and let us know how it was.

Best, Dave

Anyone been to the new place on Rt. 17S -- City Place Steakhouse -- where the North American Lobster Company used to be?

How about Steve's Sizzling Steaks? I haven't been there in years.

Eric

Is The Palm the same as RPT?  Different websites, but obvious similar names.

If they are different, anyone been to The Palm?

http://www.thepalm.com/index.cfm?fa=p&pid=293

Two totally different places. The River Palm Terrace (RPT) has three locations -- Edgewater, which is the original, Mahwah and Fair Lawn. They have added a new restaurant and theme -- The Ocean Palm, in Englewood (where Ninety Grand used to be).

"The Palm" is of the NY fame, which now has locations throughout the US. Their NJ local is in Atlantic City, at The Quarter in the Tropicana. I have not been to this specific location.

Eric

most importantly, perhaps, is that the Palm's various locations are not serving dry-aged beef. River Palm Terrace is, in my experience. The orginal Palm on 2nd ave in NYC seems to be serving dry-aged beef, along with the Palm II across the street. As far as the rest of the "chain" goes, i wouldn't bother.

As an aside, the Ocean Palm has been reamed a new one by a local publication twice, not once, but twice, since it opened. i'm guessing they cater more to people who spend gobs 'o money, rather than people who are interested in a great meal.

Edited by tommy (log)

most importantly, perhaps, is that the Palm's various locations are not serving dry-aged beef.  River Palm Terrace is, in my experience.  The orginal Palm on 2nd ave in NYC seems to be serving dry-aged beef, along with the Palm II across the street.  As far as the rest of the "chain" goes, i wouldn't bother.

As an aside, the Ocean Palm has been reamed a new one by a local publication twice, not once, but twice, since it opened.  i'm guessing they cater more to people who spend gobs 'o money, rather than people who are interested in a great meal.

Great point(s). I could be completely wrong, but in today's day and age, when it comes to steakhouses, I think that there is more competition and it's a bit "tighter" so to speak. If you were a Luger's guy, Luger's used to be so far and away the "best" and that was that. Today, while you may still be a Luger's guy, there are other places -- whether it's a change of pace, something else, whatever, I find that there are other places that have earned and deserve to be in the steak lover's rotation. At least that's the way it is for me.

On the "meat" side, I think we've all heard the stories, and many years ago I was told that back then certain places used to get first pick, better meat, whatever you want to call it. Maybe true, maybe false, who knows. Sure, that could be a factor, to whatever extent it might be true. Dry vs. wet, absolutely is a major factor.

I think there is an "intangible" here as well. I have been a meat eater all my life. It's pretty much all I eat. To me, when I go out for steak -- it's all encompassing. It very much is about the experience. I like sitting at the bar and having a martini. I love smoking a cigar! Can't do that any longer here in NJ except at a few places. I look forward to the appetizers and the salad. It's about all of it! However, the one thing that I think we all consciously or subconsciously look for, hope for, etc. -- is consistency. The steak is it for me, and I want it the way I want it and like it. To me, when my steak is done perfect, it's just incredible. You tend to get that consistency from the classics, at least the one's that you would consider the classics, LOL.

Thanks again for a great thread.

Eric

you should try the Porter House in Montvale for your steak and cigar fix.

i should qualify my previous statement of the Palm's aging process: it's what i've heard (and what i've experienced in my few visits to their non-original locations). i've not see their process first-hand.

Luger's has long standing relationships with meat purveyors and they presumably pay in cash. That will help them to continue to get the leg-up on competition. as far the rest of the steakhouses, they're often not serving USDA Prime even if they suggest they are. by "suggest" i mean putting the word "prime" on their menus.

i don't get too crazy over the USDA Prime thing, as i know it's not an exact science and I know that some Choice-graded meats are just as good as some Prime graded meats. The aging process, however, is most important to me. If it's not dry-aged then I'll get my animal fat and caloric intake from another source, most likely a burger. I'm silly for dry-aging. Just silly for it. And a dry-aged burger? Crazy silly for it.

you should try the Porter House in Montvale for your steak and cigar fix.

I go to the Porter House quite a bit -- whenever I am in the area, business lunches (unfortunately I usually don't get to enjoy a cigar), etc. I like the place. I wouldn't put their steak in the same class as some of the better known, better liked steakhouses, but it's good. I've certainly never had a "bad one" there.

The only other alternative is Smoke. I used to go there very often. It hesitate to say that it might have been my favorite. The it "jumped the shark" for me at least. The chef I knew and liked left. Managers came and went, bartenders came and went, and so did a few customers. It just changed for me.

I also used to go to Nintey Grand and take advantage of 90 Below (the cigar bar). I loved that place! I was so much hoping that when the Ocean Palm opened, they would keep the downstairs lounge open as well -- another hope and dream crushed! LOL.

I agree with the other points as well. Thanks again.

Eric

• 4 months later...

I had a T-Bone steak from Johns again. It's been almost one year. Prices are up to $24.95/lb. The new owner blamed the price hike on scarceness of prime beef. The superior quality and tenderness is still there but the dry aged, earthy, minerally flavor didn't exist. I can no longer wholeheartedly recommend John's like I did in the past. I’m not writing them off, they will get another shot. Maybe I will turn back to Lobel's.

Dave :sad:

Interesting about John's. I haven't had meat from there in a while. I see you are in Middletown. Where do you buy meat locally? My go to place is Citarella in Red Bank. They have been in business for over 100 years and they dry age as well. Check them out sometime. Jimmy Nelson is the man behind the counter you want to talk to. He knows his meat.

Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!

Thanks. Believe it or not, I really don’t buy meat anywhere around here. When I do stay local I buy it from Whole Foods. They’re pretty pricy though. You’re the second person to recommend Citarella. I stumbled upon it a couple months and saw the beef. It looked good but I didn’t buy anything. In fact until you mentioned it I forgot all about it. I will check it out. Thanks.

Interesting about John's. I haven't had meat from there in a while.  I see you are in Middletown. Where do you buy meat locally? My go to place is Citarella in Red Bank. They have been in business for over 100 years and they dry age as well. Check them out sometime. Jimmy Nelson is the man behind the counter you want to talk to. He knows his meat.