• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Steakhouse In New Jersey

Rosie

It's time for South Jersey recommendations.....

The Chophouse is getting excellent reviews in Gibbsboro or Evesham. It's on the border. Maybe it's even considered Voorhees. It's very dressup. I haven't been, but several friends recommend it highly.

My favorite though is The Library II on Route 73 in Evesham. It's the best of the mini-South Jersey chain. You go up and tell them how much of what cut you want. Superb quality (not cheap), but well worth it because it IS the best salad bar in the universe...I don't know if it's the fresh fruit, cheeses, varieties of homemade bread, the veggies, all types of greens, prepared salads including Waldorf or everything together. It's included with any entree. They also make fabulous mixed drinks!! The beef is excellent!!

I've been to the Chop House 3 or 4 times. I have had 3 or 4 great meals. The beef, the sides, the dessert and the service were all excellent.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

• 10 months later...

Does anyone know if there is a current thread on the park in park ridge, if so can you please let me know where it is, I have been unable to find one. Thanks!

????  Where do you go for steak? We love The Park in Park Ridge, River Palm in Fair Lawn and Sammy's in Mendham.

Does anyone know if there is a current thread on the park in park ridge, if so can you please let me know where it is, I have been unable to find one.  Thanks!
????  Where do you go for steak? We love The Park in Park Ridge, River Palm in Fair Lawn and Sammy's in Mendham.

The Park thread

Even though it's been mentioned several times, Sammy's in Mendham is exceptional. Not only do they have fantastic food, but it is an interesting experience. Basically, you order your food on arrival and then you are sent down to the basement/barroom to wait for your table. There you can have a few cocktails, there are arcade games for the kids, bumper pool, shuffle board bowling, etc. When your food and table are ready, you are called upstairs, and the meal is served immediately.

This system has been in place for decades. In fact, the restaurant has changed hands at least once in my lifetime, and the new owners have been smart enough not to change things. If it ain't broke don't fix it. The only real changes that have been made over the years are a few additions to the menu. Just about everything is the same.

Aside from the entrees, much of the food is served family style, depending on what you order to accompany the meal, including french fries, pasta, salad, etc.

While it is a bit pricy, you get a fantastic meal, and an experience that differs from most other restaurants.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

• 1 month later...
It's time for South Jersey recommendations.....

The Chophouse is getting excellent reviews in Gibbsboro or Evesham. It's on the border. Maybe it's even considered Voorhees. It's very dressup. I haven't been, but several friends recommend it highly.

My favorite though is The Library II on Route 73 in Evesham. It's the best of the mini-South Jersey chain. You go up and tell them how much of what cut you want. Superb quality (not cheap), but well worth it because it IS the best salad bar in the universe...I don't know if it's the fresh fruit, cheeses, varieties of homemade bread, the veggies, all types of greens, prepared salads including Waldorf or everything together. It's included with any entree. They also make fabulous mixed drinks!! The beef is excellent!!

Boy do I miss this place. The best salad bar in the state. Does anyone know if they still serve cheese spread and crackers at the bar? While I loved the place, they could dust those books more often. :wink:

Greenhouse Cafe, in Wayne has an excellent Florentine Steak - served sliced over a bed of rosemary.

Well worth a visit.

My husband and I like the grilled shell steak at the Pine Tavern in Old Bridge. I get it plain. It's delicious!

Janice G.

What a great picture! I have been wanting to go to Frankie and Johnnies for some time now but the parking in Hoboken has been keeping me away. I have heard that it is very good. Where else do you like to dine in NJ?

Franklin Steak House in Nutley, NJ......And if you want a really great hamburger, try their sirloin steak burger. Excellent. (My only criticism...they have to do something about the cigarette smoke.)

Edited by Mommy Dearest (log)

this thread has lots of great ideas for places that have "really good steaks". however, does anyone think that any place in NJ is serving the quality of USDA Prime dry-aged beef that the better restaurants in NYC (and elsewhere) are serving?

it's pretty clear that 95% of the places mentioned here most certainly aren't (and i can buy better beef than they're serving at Whole Foods or a good butcher). some will argue that the River Palm does, but i just don't think that's the case. i'm hoping Sammy's does, and am planning a trip soon. but i'm not holding out much hope. is anyone else serving the minimum baseline, which, to my mind, is dry-aged USDA Prime (or at least angus or something approaching Prime) beef? i'm of the opinion that no steak is great if it's not dry-aged. it might be "good", but you can do better at the market and cooking it at home.

Edited by tommy (log)

this thread has lots of great ideas for places that have "really good steaks". however, does anyone think that any place in NJ is serving the quality of USDA Prime dry-aged beef that the better restaurants in NYC (and elsewhere) are serving? 

Prime butcher in Ft.Lee has the best dry aged I have come across in NJ, and they now offer dinner by apointment at a small bar/kitchen area that seats eight(communal) that they have set up in the store. One of their inhouse dry aged steaks, salad, dessert, BYO. I will get more details next time I stop in. Other than that I see no viable options, other than ones own kitchen.

As far as steak restaurants go, I’ve found fantastic dry aged prime beef at River Palm Terrace Pete Lorenzo’s Café in Trenton, though neither is as good as Peter Luger’s.

Manhattan Steakhouse in Ocean Township has Manhattan prices but their steak does nothing for me - their steak is mediocre at best and certainly not worth the prime price. I feel the same way about Sammy’s, whose steak is overrated. What makes Sammy’s great is their food and unique ambiance.

So far, I’ve found John’s Meat Market in Scotch Plains to have the best prime beef in NJ. I like my own salt & pepper seasoning and a charcoal-fired Weber grill for cooking. So, in conclusion, the best steak in NJ is served at a privately owned dwelling in Middletown. Reservations are required and dress is casual.

Seriously, the best steakhouse in the area is not in this state.

Edited by steakas (log)

:D

it's pretty clear that 95% of the places mentioned here most certainly aren't  (and i can buy better beef than they're serving at Whole Foods or a good butcher).  some will argue that the River Palm does, but i just don't think that's the case.  i'm hoping Sammy's does, and am planning a trip soon.  but i'm not holding out much hope.  is anyone else serving the minimum baseline, which, to my mind, is dry-aged USDA Prime (or at least angus or something approaching Prime) beef?  i'm of the opinion that no steak is great if it's not dry-aged.  it might be "good", but you can do better at the market and cooking it at home.

I can't disagree with your take on quality steak. However, I do disagree that you can do a better job cooking it at home. Not to knock your cooking skills which I know nothing about, but most of us don't have the apparatus to cook a steak at home the way they can in a steakhouse. I certainly don't have a high end oven/broiler that can reach the temperatures they can acheive in a steakhouse.

I guess the question is, which is better--a high quality steak cooked in subpar cooking apparatus, or a non high-end steak cooked in top notch cooking apparatus?

On an unrelated note, I hope you do try Sammy's. I haven't been in several months, but I have been a great number of times, and it is exceptional.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

I think Frankie and Johnnie's in Hoboken comes close....don't know if they dry age though.

I guess the question is, which is better--a high quality steak cooked in subpar cooking apparatus, or a non high-end steak cooked in top notch cooking apparatus?

there's nothing subpar about this. of this you are assured. i get great results on a standard weber grill in 40 degree temps in NJ.

I think Frankie and Johnnie's in Hoboken comes close....don't know if they dry age though.

pete. i've been a fan of frankie and johnnies for years. mostly since i lived in hoboken for so long. but, i'm of the opinion that if you can't detect the by-products of dry-aging (the minerally, intense flavor), then you're not getting what i would consider great dry-aged beef. point being, if you can't tell if they're dry-aging at F&J, then it's not a contender.

Yes...I forgot about F&J's. I've only been there once. They do dry age their beef and their steak is excellent. I just hate driving in Hoboken. I'd rather drive to Williamsburg

there's nothing subpar about this.  of this you are assured.  i get great results on a standard weber grill in 40 degree temps in NJ.

That's a delicious looking steak!

there's nothing subpar about this. of this you are assured. i get great results on a standard weber grill in 40 degree temps in NJ.

pete. i've been a fan of frankie and johnnies for years. mostly since i lived in hoboken for so long. but, i'm of the opinion that if you can't detect the by-products of dry-aging (the minerally, intense flavor), then you're not getting what i would consider great dry-aged beef. point being, if you can't tell if they're dry-aging at F&J, then it's not a contender.

Point taken. Nice blog, by the way.

As far as steak restaurants go, I’ve found fantastic dry aged prime beef at River Palm Terrace Pete Lorenzo’s Café in Trenton, though neither is as good as Peter Luger’s. 

Manhattan Steakhouse in Ocean Township has Manhattan prices but their steak does nothing for me - their steak is mediocre at best and certainly not worth the prime price.  I feel the same way about Sammy’s, whose steak is overrated.  What makes Sammy’s great is their food and unique ambiance. 

So far, I’ve found John’s Meat Market in Scotch Plains to have the best prime beef in NJ.  I like my own salt & pepper seasoning and a charcoal-fired Weber grill for cooking.  So, in conclusion, the best steak in NJ is served at a privately owned dwelling in Middletown.  Reservations are required and dress is casual.

Seriously, the best steakhouse in the area is not in this state.

I agree completely with your assessment of Manhattan Steakhouse. I have however enjoyed a very nice steak at the Strip House.

• 4 weeks later...

FYI: This past weekend I spoke to the manager of John's Market in Scotch Plans. All their boneless steaks are wet aged. Only bone-in strips, rib steaks and TBone/Porterhouses are dry aged.