• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Raspberry Cafe

Rosie

Been there 6 or 8 times since it opened, and have enjoyed the food every time. Ms Frio can really cook, especially fish. It's pricy for the area - starters go over $10, most entrees over $20 - but not so much so that you resent it once you taste the food. One server is a bad amateur, the others seem to be enthusiastic amateurs who mostly get things right. The ny times NJ sunday section had a piece about the place earlier this summer that might be in their archives.

The Moonstruck owners sold it. I'm not sure what the ownership structure is, but the manager is a woman who said she'd worked in Philadelphia restaurants (she's been on site every time I've been there). I think she owns a piece, and I think another (or the other) owner is a woman who works in real estate.

It's BYO - in Ocean Grove it has to be - and if you eat outside they serve your wine in coffee cups to disguise it. Inside there are maybe 6 diner booths, and a counter with some stools. I've heard that their lunches are good, but have only had dinner there.

The last couple places where Ms. Froio worked I noticed portions were on the petit side (I'm not suggesting the bigger is always better thing, but literally a $20 entree that would have made an adequate appetizer). What is the case at Raspberry?

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak