• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lobster Roll and Belly Fried Clams

Bashful3

Holly Moore says you can't get either with class in PHilly. Well, I know about the belly fried clams--at the Sansom Street Oyster House, their appetizer portion is huge, at $7.50, and very very good.

Anywhere else?

And, how about those lobster rolls?

That is good to know. And very near to my business. Richard Bookbinder always calls me when he gets a batch in though they are usually too expensive this time in the summer because all the clam shuckers go pick blueberries.

Now if you can come up with a genuine lobster roll in Philadelphia I'll be really impressed.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Now if you can come up with a genuine lobster roll in Philadelphia I'll be really impressed.

have you seen bad ones in philly, holly?

i just haven't seen any.

only one i've had was brought back from boston, i have no clue where from.

was mediocre, i thought.

could just be the place, though.

does any place in boston make a good one? i imagine one of them should.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I would be happy with a close call. Too bad it does not happen.

Living hard will take its toll...

• 2 weeks later...

Well, need to come to Maine, "Reds" in Wiscassett for the Lobster Roll, paid $ 12.95 last Wed. Just Meat: One and onehalf tails from a 'Chick' plus tree claws and a few nuckles. Nothing else on a buttered and toasted Franks Bun. Mayo or drawn Butter on the side. (and Napkins)

Got to give it to them Mainers!

But don't ask for a real Italian Cold Cut Hoagie. What you get is an 'Italian' with some Bologna, Ham, maybe some cooked Salami and Am. Cheese, Lettuce, Tomato, all on a bun (undescribable) where the label needs a 'description'

So, don't feel bad, we got ours, you got yours.

Peter

The last time I was at Yann in CC, there was something approximating a lobster roll on the menu but it wasn't on a hot dog bun. kt

i popped in yann's yesterday.

is it on the menu?

it was rather late.

croissant was decent.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

The lobster roll at Yann was on a printed up paper menu, along with other salads and sandwiches. I went back for more gelato and it was $3.75 so I'm going to move on to trying some of the pretty looking pastries.

kt