• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Forest Fire Smoke

Lounge Lizard

If anyone is not aware we in the Okanagan are suffering through the worst fire season in decades.

I am not aware of the names yet(information is spotty right now) but one or two wineries in kelowna were destroyed on Friday night.

My queston however is what will the smoke do to the grapes that survive? The air quaility has been rated as extremly poor for nearly two weeks, it smells like a campfire all the time.

Has this ever occured anywhere else that anyone knows of?

Yes it happened a few years ago when Carmenet Winery, formerly part of the Chalone Group and the name now onwed by Beringer Blass Wine Estates, had a devastating fire in their prime vineyards. All of their neighbors came to their rescue by selling them grapes at reasonable prices so they could have wine to make for that vintage. The vineyard had to be replanted if my memory serves me.

I have never met a miserly wine lover

A friend of mine is currently wine tatsting in Okanagan. He describes most areas as impossible to breathe.

They are praying for the rain to control this uleashed beast.

The wineries most probably hit buy the fire are Hubertus, CedarCreek and Summerhill. St. Hubertus, a delightful little winery that is probably hit the most.

I know of vines being hurt from different types of pollution but have no experince with fire.

I join the Okanagan people in their prayes for rain.

Edited by Andre (log)

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.

I looked into the matter of the effect of the fire on the vines.

Apparently, as long as the vines are not exposed to extreme heat, the ashes can be even good for the vineyard.

I recall, in places like Champagne, they intentionally burn branches and vine leaves to fertilize the soil.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.