• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Popovers!

cheeseandchocolate

Beccaboo -

Do you need to use fresh pumpkin "mush" or will canned work fine?

I usually use canned. I mainly make pumpkin popovers when I have some extra pumpkin around, like when I get a giant can because they're on sale, and don't need all of it for my pie. Fresh is good too, though, as long as it's not too wet.

My recipe takes 35 minutes.

For 8 popovers:      For 18:

1 C flour                  2 1/2 C flour

1 C milk                  2 1/2 C milk

2 eggs                    1 1/2 t salt

1/2 t salt                  5 eggs

1 T oil                      2 T oil

Beat everything together thoroughly--beat and beat, as this is the key to getting them to pop--then pour batter into well-geased muffin tins and bake at 425F for 30-35 minutes.

To make 18 pumpkin popovers, use 2 C milk, 1/2- 3/4 C pumpkin mush, 1/4t each cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg.  These don't pop as well, but taste nice.

Beccaboo -

I'm going to try to make 8 pumpkin popovers for Thanksgiving. Looking more carefully at your recipe, I have a few questions:

1) Can I use skim milk?

2) I presume that you still use the other ingredients (flour, eggs, salt and oil) in the same proportions as the original recipe.

Thanks.

Edited by Brent Kulman (log)

Beccaboo -

I'm going to try to make 8 pumpkin popovers for Thanksgiving.  Looking more carefully at your recipe, I have a few questions:

1) Can I use skim milk?

2) I presume that you still use the other ingredients (flour, eggs, salt and oil) in the same proportions as the original recipe.

1) I use skim milk, as that's what we have around.

2) Yes.

Be sure to either serve these immediately or cook them a little longer, or they'll collapse like little soufflés.

Edited by beccaboo (log)

• 2 years later...

Hi all,

I'll be making some popovers today. I looked in the "Joy of Cooking" and the recipe calls for greased and dusted (w/flour) muffin tins at room temperature with batter added (also at room temp (70 F)). However, I've been reading a few e-gullet threads, and most people seem to preheat the tins, then brush with butter, add no flour to the tin, and then add the batter. Some don't specify, but some have said to add it chilled.

So, my question is...how can two recipes vary so much? Anyone have any ideas why one would want to preheat the tin as opposed to not doing so, and why one would specifically want room-temp batter and another would want it chilled?

Thanks for any suggestions.

I don't have technical answers to your questions -- only my experience. I always have heated my muffin tins (don't have popover pans) with the fat in them and then poured in the batter and "popped" them quickly into the oven. They are lovely.

~ Lori in PA

My blog: http://inmykitcheninmylife.blogspot.com/

My egullet blog: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=89647&hl=

"Cooking is not a chore, it is a joy."

- Julia Child

I don't have technical answers to your questions -- only my experience. I always have heated my muffin tins (don't have popover pans) with the fat in them and then poured in the batter and "popped" them quickly into the oven. They are lovely.

Well, I just talked to someone I know who makes popovers often and she told me that they usually stick to the tin quite a bit. She doesn't preheat the tin, and I'm wondering if perhaps the preheating of the tins with the fat might somehow keep the popovers from sticking? Any thoughts on that?

I use a non stick high faluten dedicated popover pan with 6 large cups.  The recipe I've become accustomed to calls for preheating the pan with oil in each cup.  They have never stuck.  So.. I would say yes, preheat for no stick. 

woodburner

Well, that's what I'll try this time. I'll throw some butter in each non-stick cup and preheat. We'll see how it goes.

Update:

Well, the "Joy of Cooking" recipe turned out great. My wife, who had never had popovers before, loved them, and with the addition of butter in the tins, they had a great buttery flavor. They were also crisp on the outside and creamy and tender on the inside...what I consider to be perfect. Despite this fact, and the fact that I pre-heated the tin, they did stick on the bottom quite a bit. I wonder if adding even more butter to each cavity of the tin might improve things? I'll have to try it next time.

Update:

Well, the "Joy of Cooking" recipe turned out great.  My wife, who had never had popovers before, loved them, and with the addition of butter in the tins, they had a great buttery flavor.  They were also crisp on the outside and creamy and tender on the inside...what I consider to be perfect.  Despite this fact, and the fact that I pre-heated the tin, they did stick on the bottom quite a bit.  I wonder if adding even more butter to each cavity of the tin might improve things?  I'll have to try it next time.

Try oiling it instead. The water content and something else (can't remember what, but I'm sure someone will know) can cause your popovers to stick to your pain. I use oil, not butter, to grease the pans when I bake.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

• 7 years later...

Saw a cooking show yesterday in which a couple of popover recipes were made. Popovers look like something Toots would love, and I'm thinking a New Year's Day brunch with popovers would be a nice treat for her. However, I never made popovers before, so, some questions, and please be mindful of the fact that I'm not much of a baker, rarely have baked, and am ignorant of most baking techniques:

Is a popover pan necessary, or does the pan just produce "better" results, or different results?

What should I be looking for if I decide to buy a popover pan?

If adding herbs or other flavors to the popover batter, does the baking time, or anything else, need to be changed from whatever recipe I'm using?

I've got a few popover recipes from on line sources, but does anyone have a nice recipe or some techniques that they'd like to share?

Is a general, AP flour acceptable for popovers, or would some other type of flour be a better choice?

... Shel

I have a popover pan, which gives nice tall popovers with a "mushroom" top.

However, for smaller batches I have an antique enamel, cast iron muffin pan which produces lovely popovers.

As mentioned above, the pan has to be HOT before adding the batter.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Conventional wisdom says that you must start with a hot pan and hot fat. But I just read this in McGee's Keys to Good Cooking (p 450):

To save time and energy, start popovers in a cold pan and cold oven. Many recipes call for preheating the oven and pan to maximize the batter's rise, but it will rise surprisingly well without tricky handling of hot metal and fat.

So "hot and hot" isn't essential -- helpful and reassuring to know, if you're trying to work out other parts of a recipe first.

• Like 1

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I've tried it and for me it did not work. The popovers rose but the insides were gummy and the inner spaces smaller. I like for them to puff so there are large hollow spaces inside so I can fill them with either a savory or sweet filling.

They were also tough - they looked okay but to me the texture and flavor are more important than appearance.

These are mine, light, tender and with big open spaces inside.

popovers.JPG

• Like 6

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I've tried it and for me it did not work. The popovers rose but the insides were gummy and the inner spaces smaller. I like for them to puff so there are large hollow spaces inside so I can fill them with either a savory or sweet filling.

They were also tough - they looked okay but to me the texture and flavor are more important than appearance.

These are mine, light, tender and with big open spaces inside.

attachicon.gifpopovers.JPG

Recipe for those unbelievably gorgeous popovers :wub::wub::wub: ?

Please?

You're making me need a popover pan now! :raz::raz:

• Like 1