• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen Scale Recommendations (2003 – 2010)

Risotta

I recently bought a Dretec 2kg scale for about GBP10...entirely because it was a little cheaper than Tanita.

It's working fine, and is much more useful than the digital scale I bought years ago, which turned itself off after a minute or so.

I use larger scales for larger items - usually I make a son stand on the scales and hold the item in question so that I'm measuring in the middle of the range, not at the lowest end.

My mother was a pharmacist, and always had 2-3 sets of scales, calibrated from "grains" to "oz/lbs" to "stones"...so I've never been in the habit of weighing precision ingredients on scales designed to deal with 5-10lbs.

Forgot to say that this digital replaced a small spring-blance, which turned out to be much less accurate and robust than I had hoped.

eGullet thread on kitchen scales

Edited by helenjp (log)

I have a Salter, Model 4001 digital scale. It's max is 5# and it has a good switch for metric and will display to the gram. But in ounces, it only goes down to 1/4 ounce, which isn't very precise. I'd like one that goes to 10# and measures to 1/8 ounce at least, which shouldn't be too hard if it can go to the gram.

This one also turns off a little too soon for me and that can't be adjusted.

I also have the Salter, and actually didn't realize the 1/4# problem until I've had it for a while. Since that's the case, I don't mind that too much. It's a nice machine.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

it's not cheap, but Soehnle's Triple is almost as cool-looking as it is effective.  i find it hard to live without now. (my 2004 review of it here.)

ooo, i do like that one.

i have a salter aquatronic, up to 11 lbs in 1/4 oz increments. like russ, i'm not a baker so that's good enough for me.

from what i can figure, its liquid measuring ability is just a simple arithmetical gimmick, since 1 cc of water = 1 ml = 1 g, and from there it's just a matter of multiplication or division to get fluid oz, etc. i guess it could be useful for some, but i don't find it that great, and hope that whoever got it for me as a gift a few years ago didn't pay extra for it.

I have this Soehnle scale. It's cheaper than the triple but has many of the same features. It's accurate too (100 mL from a graduated cylinder weighs exactly 100 g).

edited: to add that, should you drop it from a great height and break it, it's easily taken apart and fixed (not that I would know about something like that :rolleyes: )

Edited by Mallet (log)

Martin Mallet

<i>Poor but not starving student</i>

www.malletoyster.com

I have the Siemens (Porche design), which I love and use constantly. It's not cheap, but I got this one (besides the fact that it looks really cool) is:

It has a shallow, removable bowl which I can use as a mixing bowel, or easily hold a large saucepan in

Can measure up to 4lb+ (i've never gone above 1.5 kg, so I haven't tested the upper limits)

It is very accurate at the low amounts...important since I'm often measuring less than 20gram quantities.

I would suggest looking on eBay for a laboratory 2000 or 6000 g lab/kitchen scale that has an internal calibration mechanism.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

I have the Salter Aquatronic (glass top) also. I needed the 11 pound top limit as many of my bread recipes go well beyond the 4 or 5 pound limit of the other scales.Salter scale

I had the older "Baker's Dream" scale but the window was difficult to see if I put something large on the platform.

I just ordered one of the newer "Plus" scales with an elevated readout.

Salter Aquatronic Plus

I also have one at the office for mail as we mail a lot of packages of medical records.

You can order any of these scales through Amazon

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

i also have a cheap-o salter scale (probably the same 5# max one as above). unless you expect to break it, get a more expensive one. the one i have is endlessly frustrating. it auto-offs really quickly and the on button is also the tare button. so everytime it turns off, my tare is reset just by turning it back on. and it's actually turned off while i'm measuring out flour. arrrgh.

so, at least, get one with separate tare and on buttons.

i've got this one too and it does everything i ask of it. of course, i'm not a baker, so the 1/4 ounce is fine for me.

Yeah, that's what I have too. I am a baker (amatuer, that is) but it is close enough for punk rock, as they say.

This is the scale I have (and the vendor I bought it from): iWeigh 3001.

I've had it about 6 months and I LOVE IT. I use it for everything, everything, everything. It has tare, it has counting functions, it totally rocks for $30.

Andrea

http://tenacity.net

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

This is the scale I have (and the vendor I bought it from):  iWeigh 3001.

I've had it about 6 months and I LOVE IT.  I use it for everything, everything, everything.  It has tare, it has counting functions, it totally rocks for $30.

Andrea

http://tenacity.net

I purchased a slightly different model from the same web site. After returning a "fancy" scale to William Sonoma because it was clumsy to use and difficult to read, I read the previous egullet thread on scales and bought this model. .

I've been using it for more than a year and I LOVE it too! I was looking for a large capacity scale (15#) with a small footprint (I have limited counter space), tare weight feature, lbs., ounces, grams. This scale has all of those features plus an easy to read backlit display that lights up in red and can be set to stay on. I purchased the optional AC adapter and don't have to worry about running out of batteries. The scale comes with the plastic container and a separate holder for weighing letters. The price was right, service was excellent and there's an excellent warranty.

Ilene

What Andiesenji's scale is doing, if I'm following the description correctly, is converting from weight to volume, which is how liquid measures are usually given. This can be done easily if the density of the liquid is known. My guess is the scale assumes the same density as water

has anyone said "a pint's a pound the world around" yet?

Edited by pork (log)

• 2 months later...

I am in need to buy a real scale, i have been working with a scale that Iam ashme to say doeasnt measure grams .

I am looking for a scale that can help me with mesuraments on bread making and cakes as well as chocolate making .A scale that wouldnt be extremely expensive but maybe more on the professional side.

Any suggestions? please? :biggrin:

Thank you :smile:

Edited by Desiderio (log)

Vanessa

Funny, I just bought a scale this morning. Following a tip on Cooking For Engineers, I went to Old Will Knot and bought a KD-7000 made by My Weigh. The article actually recommended the i5000 model, but I wanted something with more capacity and spill proof. Two hours after placing my order I received an e-mail that it had shipped - impressive response time!

• 3 weeks later...