• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Napa, Sonoma Sept 03

bctraveller

We are going to Napa and Sonoma in a couple of weeks. We have toured several times before, and would like to taste at a few wineries that are by appointment only, as well as the usual suspects. We will certainly visit St. Jean in Sonoma, and in Napa, Silver Oak, Caymus, and Joseph Phelps. We would appreciate any reccommendations for wineries and/or restaurants. We would like to have one meal in Healdsburg and are looking for a restaurant there. In Napa we are considering Tra Vigne, the Cullinery Institute or Don Giovanni, but are open to suggestions. Thanks.

In Healdsburg, eat at the Dry Creek Kitchen, call ahead and get a reservation. Near there visit Rafanelli and Quivera.

Once your back in Napa, I'd skip the Culinary Institute and Tra Vigne. Terra is better than both for a similar price, La Toque is better (the French Laundry is the only place better in the valley) but it is twice the price of Terra/CIA/etc. Don Giovanni is excellent; ZuZu in Napa is also good. Bouchon Bakery is a great stop on the way through the valley for a cup of coffee (get a latte) and pastries.

As far as wine goes, see about visiting Pride on Spring mountain (between Sonoma and Napa). Quintessa is nice, but they charge $25/taste. Domaine Carneros has a very nice tour (focused on sparking wine).

How many days are you going to be in the area? What plans have you already made?

I had a great meal at Ravenous Cafe (420 Center St., Healdsburg) that was really well prepared with fresh ingredients and reasonably priced for the quality of the food. Fun and funky little place that was recommended to me by one of my wine purveyors. Interesting and eclectic wine list and food. There are tons of reviews on the place. Just punch it into Google and see if it's appealing to you.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

[Once your back in Napa, I'd skip the Culinary Institute and Tra Vigne. Terra is better than both for a similar price, ]

We have been to Napa and Sonoma several times in the past 3 years and while I can't comment on the other places mentioned, I have to say that our lunch at Tra Vigne was a real standout. The food, wine and service were excellent and the room is delightful.

[Once your back in Napa, I'd skip the Culinary Institute and Tra Vigne. Terra is better than both for a similar price, ]

We have been to Napa and Sonoma several times in the past 3 years and while I can't comment on the other places mentioned, I have to say that our lunch at Tra Vigne was a real standout. The food, wine and service were excellent and the room is delightful.

It's definitely possible to have a great meal at Tra Vigne, but they have been very inconsistent from visit to visit. I've had some great meals there and some awful meals there - the wine service has been at best acceptable and at worst offensive and their menu is more or less static, your unlikely to find the best local ingredients being showcased on their menu. I'd say you've got a 75% chance of having an excellent meal there on your first visit and that your opinion of the restaurant is likely to go down the more you eat there.

I'll go along with Melkor's suggestions and add a couple more...Angele and Celadon. Both right next to each other in old/new downtown area (near ZuZu's too)and on the Napa River. Don Gio's is the most consistent place I think I've ever eaten and I've eaten there a lot....and it's in a lovely spot too for being so accessible. I love the atmosphere at Angele and the food is pretty darned good too. You can check out their menus and wine lists if you like at (www).angele.us; (www).bistrodongiovanni.com; (www).celadonnapa.com; (www).zuzu.com; the parens are so that I'm not providing a direct link...some places don't allow direct links and I dont' want to piss anyone off. Have a great trip! :smile:

I want to thank everyone for your posts and sharing your wealth of knowledge. We will have 1 1/2 days in Sonoma, and 3 days in Napa. The plan so far is as follows:

Sonoma

wineries: St. Jean, Rafanelli and Quivera, Pride (Thanks Melkor) I see Parker has Rafanelli on his outstanding list for Zin!

food: Ravenous Cafe (Thanks Katie)

Napa

wineries: Silver Oak, Caymus, Joseph Phelps, Smith-Madrone, and ??? We will skip Quintessa as it is just too pricey, and Domaine Carneros as we are not sparkling wine fans. We would appreciate any other winery suggestions.

food: In the past we have had excellent meals at Tra Vigne, and 2 out 3 very good experiences at the Culinary Institute, and one great lunch at Don Giovanni's. We will try Terra and Celadon (Thanks NVNVGirl)which sound great. We will also have several picnics with food from Dean & Deluca's at the wineries. Any favorite picnic spots?

If you have time while in Sonoma, stop by and see me at Gundlach Bundschu -- I pour there on weekends and proudly wear my name badge. Regarding Katie's suggestion, realize that Healdsburg is quite a ways out of Sonoma and will eat up part of the day heading up there and getting back... unless of course you plan on staying up there for the major portion of the day.

Also, when exactly are you coming (you said, "a couple of weeks"). There are some upcoming events that might jibe with your visit, depending on the dates.

I'd visit Pride from the Napa side, they are less than a mile into Sonoma and nowhere near Healdsburg. Have a picnic at Pride, the view is great and the people there are incredibly friendly, just call ahead to schedule your picnic and tasting.

Grab some bread at Bouchon Bakery on the way up 29 in the morning (where you should also get some coffee and snacks). Stop at Dean and Deluca and visit Ricardo (at the cheese counter), tell him that you were sent to talk to him about cheese and that your having a picnic after you leave D&D, he'll go through tasting whatever cheeses might work with what you like and you'll leave with a nice selection. Finish collecting your picnic supplies at the deli counter at the back of dean and deluca. Drive up to Pride (it's about 15min west of St Helena) and buy a bottle of their Viognier to have with your picnic, they will supply glasses and the wine will be chilled for you. Their picnic tables are under a covered awning outside the wine cave overlooking the vineyards, and most of the time there is no one else out there.

We arrive in SF Friday Sept 5 and plan to drive to Sonoma. We are staying in Santa Rosa Friday and Saturday, and after that in Napa. We are visiting a friend in Healdsburg. We would love to drop by and say hello, Carolyn. Given you in the wine country, can you suggest any other wineries in Napa or Sonoma which are not on the usual visitor circuit that produce excellent wines and where we might be able to make an appointment to taste?

What area of Napa is Bouchon Bakery in? Melkor, great suggestions. Thanks.

Coming down from Santa Rosa, I recommend several wineries in "The Valley of Moon" region including Imagery and Arrowwood. Unsure about appointment-only wineries other than Auraujo (members-only), Tom Eddy, Opus One, etc. It looks as though you will be in Healdsburg and can hit that restaurant. Bouchon is half-way up the Napa valley in Yountville. Worth the stop, yes.

Here's a quick list of the Sonoma goings-on that weekend which I got from Sonoma.com:

September 5 -- Miner Family Vineyards

Jennifer Desmond of Miner Family Vineyards will be our guest. These high quality, hand-crafted wines are created with a definite focus on the vineyard habitat, an awareness of "en terroir". Don't miss this event at The Wine Shop, 331 Healdsburg Avenue in Healdsburg.

Fee: $10 for a flight of four wines Time: 6:00 - 8:00 PM Phone Number: 707.433.0433

* September 5 -- A Sense of Place - Literary Sonoma

A talk and a reading with Jonah Raskin, Kevin Brennan, Greg Sarris, and Jesse Shepard at the Sonoma County Museum, 425 7th Street, Santa Rosa.

Fee: No Admission Fee Time: 6 PM Phone Number: 707-579-1500

* September 5 -- The 6th Ever Legal Aid Golf Classic

Enjoy a great day of golf and support legal services for our neediest neighbors. A fun filled day of golf at Oakmont, contests, prizes, lunch, and awards reception is yours! Call Andrea at Legal Aid to arrange your sponsorship and 4-some. See you there!

Fee: $185 per player ($160 each for sponsors) Time: Shotgun start at 1:00 PM Phone Number: 707-542-6664

* September 6 -- Kendall Jackson Winery's 7th Annual Heirloom Tomato Festival

This annual celebration takes place amid the lush gardens and walnut trees at the Kendall-Jackson Wine Center, 5007 Fuller Road, Santa Rosa. Tickets are available by advance sale only. There are over 175 different varieties of tomatoes growing in our organic gardens, all of which may be sampled at the event. Also enjoy wine tasting, art show, live entertainment, cooking demonstrations and much more. Contact us for ticket information.

Fee: $40 per person - $30 Wine Club Members - Time: 11:00 AM - 4:00 PM Phone Number: 800-769-3649

* September 6 -- Cloverdale Classic Car/Motorcycle Show

Downtown Cloverdale Blvd's street is filled with beautiful classic cars and motorcycles. Entertainment, Raffles, Craft Booths, Demonstrations, Competitions, Pancake Breakfast, BBQ, Food Booths, and LIVE music. Fun-Fun-Fun in Cloverdale.

Fee: No Admission Fee Time: 10 AM - 4 PM Phone Number: 707-894-4470

* September 6 - 7 -- Celebrate the Harvest at Chateau Souverain

Join in the excitement and fun of harvest time in this annual Alexander Valley First Weekend event. Sip our delicious new releases and enjoy the anticipation of crush at the Chateau. Contact us for additional details. 400 Souverain Road, Geyserville.

Fee: No Admission Fee Time: 11:00 AM - 4:00 PM Phone Number: 888-80-WINES

* September 6 - 7 -- 27th Annual Jazz on the River Festival

Jazz on the River - World-Class Jazz Festival Features Al Jarreau, George Benson,Stanley Clarke, Norman Brown, Benny Green, Russell Malone and many more at Johnson’s Beach on the Russian River, in downtown Guerneville. Sample premium wines from some of Sonoma County's best wineries for an additional nominal fee. Contact us for additional details and ticket information.

Fee: $47.50 - $95 per day Time: Doors Open at 10 AM; Music Begins at 11 AM Phone Number: 510-655-9471

* September 6 - 7 -- 11th Annual Studio Discovery Tour

The North Coast Artists' Guild present 37 open artist's studio along the scenic Sonoma-Menocino coast from Jenner, Sea Ranch, Gualala, Anchor Bay to Little River. A huge variety of original artwork. Call for a free 24-page brochure & map of this fun-filled self-guided tour.

Fee: No Admission Fee Time: 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM Phone Number: 707-785-9513

* September 6 - 7 -- NHRA Summit Sport Compact Drag Races at Infineon Raceway

This series features eight-second drag racing action from cars including Toyota, Honda, Nissan and Acura. Fans will also be treated to events including a car show, DJ battle and Car Audio Competition, Model Expo, dance crew demonstrations and a breakdance arena. Infineon Raceway, Highways 37 & 121, Sonoma.

Fee: Varies with Event Time: Varies with Event Phone Number: 1-800-870-RACE

* September 6 -- Annual Kiwanis Harvest Festival

For an unforgettable day, come join us in the heart of Napa at the 20th Annual Kiwanis Harvest Festival. This event is the best of the Napa Valley - the best food, wine and music - all featured in one place on September 6th at the world renowned Charles Krug Winery. A benefit fund raiser for the youth of Napa Valley. Please call for more information.

Fee: $45.00 pre-sale / $50.00 at the door Time: 12:00 PM-4:00 PM Phone Number: 707-255-8506