• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seattle Wedding Reception Sites

Hey all, If you have not read my bio recently, I come back from the Oregon coast an engaged man. Now we have the task of planning a wedding. yay!

Any suggestions for catering outfits or reception sites that an eGulleter would approve of?

We like the Lake Union Cafe so far... has anybody had an experience with them?

Thanks again!!!

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

wow! congrats Schielke :raz:

catering?! well I'm going to a wedding that's being catered on the 7th by.. by.. I can't remember. But I'll find out & I'll let you know if its any good. Both these folks are foodies too, so they chose their caterer with that in mind...

how was the coast?? where did you go? eat any good food? LOL

Born Free, Now Expensive

Congrats on taking the plunge!

You may want to get in touch with scrat as she was in the wedding planning biz in town for several years and has the 411 on many facilities and caterers. Of course you'll be wanting linens for the even....right??

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

From the PI:

"Minion and his wife, Angel, have formed Angel's Taste of Heaven catering company, which specializes in barbecue (253-941-5937); you can give them a try this Saturday at the Low & Slow. Angel Minion left her position at the University of Puget Sound to focus on catering."

Otherwise, I've heard great things about Lowell-Hunt Catering:

http://www.lowell-hunt.com/ven.htm

Best Wishes!

Schlieke: Please give I idea of what you, and more important your fiance would enjoy the most, then i'm sure we'd be able to respond thoughtfully to you wishes. IE: general location, time of year, day of week, whatever?

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

Congratulations Ben and Katie, you 2 cuties! Have you set the date yet?

Today as I was walking along the shores of Lake Union (eastlake, by Chandlers Crab House, etc.), a bit north of there, there was a large area with a huge white tent over it, next to the shoreline, with a very large deck area just outside of the tented area next to the lake... and I was telling hubby how perfect it would be for a wedding & reception. But of course I don't know about the catering situation at all, or what that space is even for. But it was a beautiful spot...

Tom Douglas's show today on KIRO radio was all about weddings. They touched on location (some people delay their wedding by as much as two years, they claim, to get reservations at the perfect spot) and caterers, among other things. Having a personal phobia for weddings :shock: I did my best to keep all the details from sticking in my memory.

Possibly Tom's show is archived on the net somewhere?

I've been to two weddings in Seattle; the last one was two weeks ago or so. One was on a cruise around Elliott Bay. The view was really amazing and the food was good. The one I went to two weeks ago was hosted at The Ruins, a private supper club at the edge of Queen Anne. There was no view, as The Ruins is in the middle of a warehouse, but the atmosphere and the food were both very good. The Seattle Times had an article on The Ruins on the ruins called Love Among the Ruins. My friends joined as members, but I think you can also book parts of The Ruins as non-members as well. I also ate with my the same friends a couple of months before their wedding and was very impressed by both the service and the food.

Congratulations both of you!

I'm also going to a wedding in the next couple of weeks hosted by some reastaurant biz folks. I'll see what they do and let you know.

The other recent wedding reception I went was also held at The Ruins. The atmosphere is very, er, eclectic and I remember the food being very good. But you probably wouldn't want to have it there if you are planning to get married during the summer. It's kind of dark and there are no windows to the outside world.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

Congrats!! That's great news!

A second nod for Lowell-Hunt.. the owners (Jonathan and Russell) are two really great chefs. AND they have an Eastside location in Woodinville (their other locale is on Lake Union).

Check this out: every year they take a bunch of people on an Elk Hunt excursion.. they set up a tent in the middle of the woods, go hunting, and then cook up the game in a giant tent and serve this huge fantastic sounding spread. Hey...... this could be an idea for your wedding reception :biggrin:

Also on the Eastside is my personal favorite caterer in the whole wide world -- Lisa Dupar Catering. Her food is fantastic. She's in Redmond. Click here: Lisa Dupar Catering

Good luck!

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

Thanks everybody. We are planning on the weekend of March 20th sometime. Not sure about Sat or Sun wedding...

It will be roughly 160-170 peeps, but maybe fewer depending on loss.

And Tighe, if we need linens, I know who to call. :wink:

Ben

-Freakmaster

-Mario

And Tighe, if we need linens, I know who to call. :wink:

Not IF, it's WHEN you need linens....

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

More general space info:

We would like a place with either a view or a very nice interior. Hopefully the location would serve as a ceremony site as well. It will have to be indoor considering the time of year.

We took a peek at "The Canal" in Ballard yesterday (it used to be Hiram's at the Locks) and it looks nice from the outside. Any thoughts on this place?

We got our info packet on the Ruins the other day...holy jebus! They are out to milk ya! 2k for location fee, 35-60 pp, no servers included, and 12-20 pp for alcohol. :shock:

-Freakmaster

-Mario

The catering company Ravishing Radish now has a facility on Lake Union. I've had their food a few times and find it well above standard catered fare.

The catering company Ravishing Radish now has a facility on Lake Union.  I've had their food a few times and find it well above standard catered fare.

I'll second this--some friends of mine who got married last summer used them, and they were quite tasty, and I believe also very reasonable. They were on a pretty serious budget.

Ann

"Shameful or not, she harbored a secret wish

for pretty, impractical garments."

Barbara Dawson Smith

*Too Wicked to Love*

A friend (former hotel catering director in Tacoma and Seattle) had her wedding at A Country Location and recommends using Pyramid Catering. And, she has tasted menus at many of Seattle's top catering companies as well as restaurants (many have expanded to off-site catering). You may want to borrow a copy of Bravo Seattle as well. Good luck, Kimo

The Chinese Room at the top of Columbia Tower is a fun place for a reception, though your party may be too large for the space. The view is dramatic. Lisa Dupar and Ravishing Radish are indeed good choices for caterers.

Speaking of Tom Douglas, he does catering, too.

Another option is to have the wedding at DeLille winery in Woodinville. They have this beautiful dining room above the cellar that has a gigantic, long wooden table. I attended a wine dinner there and it was quite lovely.

The Chinese Room at the top of Columbia Tower is a fun place for a reception

Maybe I'm wrong, but I've been to the Chinese Room and I could have sworn I was in the Smith Tower?

Agreed though that the Chinese Room has a MAGNIFICENT view. I got to walk around the balcony outside and what an experience that was.

It can probably accommodate 100 people (maybe), so that might not be an option for you :biggrin:

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

I got curious and went looking (to make sure I wasn't going nuts). The Chinese Room is in the Smith Tower. Here be a link:

Chinese Room

I've been to one wedding in the Chinese Room and thought it was a cool space. I've also been to events at the top of the Columbia Tower, where the Chinese Room is not, which was also nice, but in a completely different way at a much higher price. :wink:

Yeah, unfourtanetly those spaces are a weee bit too pricey. The chinese room does look cook, but it couldn't fit us.

Ravishing Radish looked very nice yesterday, but I am not sure how much more affordable that option is compared with some of the other ones we are looking at. It does look like they have a strong commitment to good food though.

Ben

-Freakmaster

-Mario