• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Krispy Kreme

Went today - freebie donuts to anyone who gets in the queue - the classic glazed - warm and fluffy and oh so soft - also tried a chocolate glazed - just as good as in the States...

But also, just as in the States, they do sit like little bombs in your tum for a while!

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

why on earth are people so keen on horrible american donughts. Dunkin Donuts et. al are just horrid dry things, not a patch on traditional english(maybe they were once american in origin but never seen them in the states like this) jam filled juicy sugary coated balls of lovliness. You can get them at any bakers and its pretty rare to get a bad one.

Better still are the Italian donughts (bomboloni) filled with custardy creme anglais on the beach... delicious!

...horrible american donughts. Dunkin Donuts et. al are just horrid dry things, not a patch on traditional english..

Whatever your opinion of the average American donut (and most are distinctly average) the classic Krispy Kreme is entirely different and superior product. You have to taste to believe. Get 'em while they're hot!

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the opening of Krispi Kreme donuts at harrods.........standing in the queue next to us chatting on his mobile phone was King Constantine of Greece's son (my companion was Greek, otherwise who knew?)

yes we ate way too many doughnuts. but i've got a suggestion if you every find yourself with way too many krispi kremes: they DO freeze pretty darn well.

Oh, and you must drink Union Roasters coffee with them.

The Finest coffee on this whole damned island!

marlena

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

To answer my own question, acoording to the Virgin Atlantic website, the second place for KK's to be available in the UK will be the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse for Upper Class passengers at Heathrow T3. I expect this will be donuts shipped from Harrods and not a new bakery.

why on earth are people so keen on horrible american donughts. Dunkin Donuts et. al are just horrid dry things, not a patch on traditional english(maybe they were once american in origin but never seen them in the states like this) jam filled juicy sugary coated balls of lovliness. You can get them at any bakers and its pretty rare to get a bad one.

Better still are the Italian donughts (bomboloni) filled with custardy creme anglais on the beach... delicious!

Oh, please! I love it when Brits comment on American food, basing everything on the worst possible examples available. It would be like judging all English food on the worst take away you can buy. Nobody eats Dunkin Donuts, for God's sake. Good US doughnuts are fantastic, and Los Angeles, oddly enough, is the doughnut capital of the country. Krispy Kreme are nothing compared to Bob's doughnuts, Primo's, or Stan's.

LA doughnuts rule!!

:raz:

Finally made it there yesterday and was not disappointed. The "hot now" sign was blazing and I was offered a free original glazed, right off the production to munch on whilst I queued to buy another. I chose just one chocolate iced custard filled and a Kaffe Kreme (espresso, steamed milk and original kreme flavour) to go with it.

Both doughnuts were delightful, the hot original glazed disappeared like candy floss in my mouth as I bit down on it, whilst the topped and filled cold version had more substance and was a little less sweet. The Kaffe Kreme however was a big mistake, so sickly that I was in danger of toxic shock from all that sugar.

Prices are not bad at 90p for a glazed, £1.10 for a topped and filled. By far the best deal are by the dozen however, including an assortment for £7.95. Can't wait to take the kids.

• 2 weeks later...

I love Krispy Kremes.

I would really recommend buying two glazed ones as an introduction. They must be hot for maximum impact, though cold is fine, just fine, yes thanks, I will.

I have never eaten any other kind than the glazed. The thought of choosing a different kind when the King of Donuts is right there flipping off that conveyor was just beyond me. When you know how good it is why would you?

• 1 month later...

I was in Harrods today, getting a haircut. They have one of the best old-fashioned barbershops in the UK. Its in the basement, complete with original 1930 style Art Deco fittings. They are stuck with it, since the interior is now listed.

Passing through the food halls I noticed that Krispy Kreme is where they used to sell Poilane <sigh>. Much of the sacred food halls are now franchises or tourist tat. alas. Not particularly busy. A young lady proffered me a free glazed doghnut. Being curious, and not being one to refude free food, despite Atkins I accepted.

You mean people actually eat this stuff? Very light, slightly limp, overly sweet pap.

Not a bad doughnut I suppose if you like artificial flavours and sugar, but the oil it had been fried in was stale. The rancid oil taste lingered, and I was forced go and breathe deeply near the white truffles on sale at £4000/kilo