• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Krispy Kreme

Don't call them, they'll call us. Details of the opening event came through to me today from Gabrielle Shaw (NB: their exclamations and capitals) :

"Krispy Kreme's first UK store opens in Harrods Food Hall at 9am on Friday 3rd October. They are giving away A YEAR'S SUPPLY OF KRISPY KREMES to the one lucky person who is first in line! Packs of goodies for the first 12 in line, and limited edition Krispy Kreme T-shirts to the first 100 through the door! You might need your camping gear to be in the running!"

Finally, the US exports some GOOD junk food.

The Krispy Kreme donut is indeed junk. It's gooey, sloppy, sugary, cheap, and thoroughly delicious. The drier, staler, more mainstream Dunkin Donut pales by comparison with these Satanically heart-clogging, thigh-inflating pillows of pure pleasure. Their jelly donut is the paragon of cheap, who-gives-a-fuck self indulgence. At the original Krispy Kreme in Atlanta, obsessive admirers line up outside to eat them still hot and un-rested, the gooey carbo-bombs flattening and sagging like deflating tires as they sink their teeth into the barely cooked, sugar-covered dough. Unlike the two stages of the Dunkin Donut (fairly fresh and stale) the Krispy Kreme has three distinct stages of enjoyment:

a) Still screamingly hot (as above)

b) Fresh--sugar still maintaining its structural integrity.

c) soft, wet, and still delicious (the sugar having melted into a runny, sugary sticky mess)

All have their virtues.

If you don't like Krispy Kreme donuts? You're just not smoking enough weed.

abourdain

If they're following their previous drug-dealing marketing ploy from the US, usually they ask you if you've ever had one before (not too difficult a question in this case), and then when you - Bambi like - blink your eyes and shake your head, they hand you one hot, sticky, straight from the oven or fryer or devil's arm-pit and you bite down, and the hot sugar runs runs runs down your throat and you wonder you wonder if you'll ever make it home/see your family/make it to the bank in time to withdraw all of your money and give it give it give it to these BASTARDS who for just a single doughnut have made you sign your soul away yes there it goes out of the window wave 'bye bye' -

or - erm - maybe they'll give it to you in a box....

Edited by MobyP (log)

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

It opens at 9 yes? In the morning? What are the varieties reccomended by the experts?

According to Harrods they will be opening at 7am - separate entrance/window...

Chocolate glazed...

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

We've had Krispy Kreme almost as long as GA has (I'm in TN), so the novelty isn't there any longer. But honestly, a hot glazed right off the line is as close to heaven as you can get in that moment. Now I need one, and luckily there is a huge KK down the street, with a huge picture window so you can stand, transfixed, and watch the donuts go by on their little conveyor belt. Yum.

I'm sorry, but I just gotta say this. I tried my first Krispy Kreme donut (glazed) a couple of years ago. It was the WORST donut I've ever had! :sad:

It tasted like a bunch of chemicals were either in the batter or in the glaze. Very medicinal.

I gave my sister a piece and she agreed. We were trying to figure out why everyone goes crazy over them. :shock:

Iris

GROWWWWWLLLLL!!

oh - so has anyone gone to the opening yet? they are so much fun! i want pictures!

i am so happy for the londoners. i feel like we are finally reimbursing you all for giving the world graham norton! (a fair trade?)

"Things go better with cake." -Marcel Desaulniers

timoblog!