• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Krispy Kreme

of all the truly regrettable exports this country could send yours,

krispy kreme stands at the very top of the list. they are the current

"nova" of must-have, hot-ticket food items and like all novas, will

burn brightly...but briefly.

to veteren doughnut aficionados, kk's are a real sham--unworthy

to share the box with hundreds of other better brands. this

"oh-so-sweet" image of ma 'n pa baking 'em in the basement

and running up the steps to turn on the "HOT NOW" sign is

just about as fluffy and saccherin-laced as their glazed raised.

on a cold winter's morning there are few things which compare

with a chocolate-frosted yeast raised cake doughnut and large

mug of freshly ground bean coffee from Dunkin Donuts.

i realize they're (kk's)all the rage at the moment and it's certainly

everyone's right to enjoy whatever doughnuts float their boat.

like so too many commercially produced items these days, kk's

are mostly all form and little substance. speaking of which, it's

time to make the doughnuts.

Ecce homo qui est farba

I think I'm more excited about the idea of Krispy Kreme invading Harrods than the actuallity of eating them. The incongruity of it is appealing, it's an act of thrilling subversion and as such far more important than Gordon Ramsay storming the barricades of the Savoy.

In addition, and to paraphrase and Woody Allen, I've never had a bad doughnut, even the worst one was pretty good.

on a cold winter's morning there are few things which compare with a chocolate-frosted yeast raised cake doughnut and large mug of freshly ground bean coffee from Dunkin Donuts.

Dunkin Donuts ?! Like you say, whatever floats your boat...but this seems to me a particularly condemed-tramp-ferry-favoured-by-pilgrims-just-before-another-Act-of-God-disaster kind of boat.

One of the more depressing aspects of my last trip to New England a year or so ago was the complete impossibility of tracking down a donut shop that was not Dunkin-dessicated-Donuts. Where to get Apple Fritters or Bear Claws ?

IMHO donut shops rank alongside cocktails as one of America's great contributions to world culture. But whilst we've embraced other American cultural exports further down my list (e.g. J-Lo) donuts have never secured a viable foothold on the beachhead of Blighty. DD are the only ones I'm aware of which tried (they had a short-lived branch in Villiers St.).

So whether or not Krispy Kreme are actually any cop (sic), if their current uber-donut image can help open the door to a more general donut invasion, I'm all for it !

Besides what better way to pass a pleasant morning than tucking into a maple frosted whilst sneaking a quick laugh at the Di and Dodi memorial ?

For a chain, KK is pretty good, but nowhere near great. I prefer cake donuts to these glazed sugary things (but not DD's version - ugh), so that may be part of it. The best donuts I've had are at the Doughnut Plant in NYC (Grand St on the LES) -- now those are truly great!

Besides, I can't believe that HOT NOW thing will make it here, as Londoners can't even be bothered to wait to have a sandwich made to order.

• 2 weeks later...

Noticed Krispy Kreme are opening their first ever UK branch... in Harrods. Hopefully they will infect more salubrious locations soon!

On a related note they were giving away free Krispy Kreme donuts at work yesterday! (only ones with plain icing). Grabbed a box of twelve to take home to the house. Presumbly a freebie to raise their profile amongst all the expat US bankers they have running around the place...

cheerio

J

PS donuts nice - seemed thinner crusted than the ones I've had before. Sweet.

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

Funnily enough, I met the managing director of Krispy Kreme UK. They're only opening the Harrods store in the UK this year. Then next year they're going to open a couple more sites in the London suburbs, before starting to roll out across the country the year after that (in 2005).

Also happen to have spoken to senior people at Allied Domecq, the drinks company that owns Dunkin Doughnuts. When I spoke to them a few months ago they said they had no plans to introduce DD to the UK. They reckoned that Brits didn't go for doughnuts like Americans did (for breakfast).

Although the MD of Krispy Kreme UK pointed out that there are already large numbers of doughnuts sold in the UK. You can do for them what Starbucks has for coffee.

On a positive note, the Harrods KK outlet will open at 7am, before the department store does. So if you live near Knightsbridge and want a sweet breakfast...

One last point... I asked the MD of KK if, given his expertise, he or one of his business contacts could set up a decent Mexican restaurant in London (I and others have said how one is needed on this board). But he didn't seem that impressed by the idea. Maybe, with the cost of authentic ingredients here, it really is that hard :-(

Although the MD of Krispy Kreme UK pointed out that there are already large numbers of doughnuts sold in the UK. You can do for them what Starbucks has for coffee.

Perfectly put. KK is exactly like Starbuck -- commerically reliable mediocrity, wrapped in attractive packaging.

Did dunkin donuts used to operate in this country?

Yes, I remember stores in Glasgow and London. In fact, the London store I recall (at Piccadilly Circus, almost next door to Burger King - oh what gourmet delights!) was there quite recently.

Allied Domecq did try Dunkin Doughnuts in the UK, I believe, in the early 1990s.

But the doughnut place in Picadilly Circus is not a Dunkin, or at least isn't now. It's a misconception that AD strive to correct!

KK cannot be as bad as the doughnuts served in a carvery in Devon. Travelling through "Gods own county", my elderly, blind, diabetic companion felt that he was going out of balance and needed some sugar. We popped into a roadside restaurant :wink: and saw that they had "Chocolate Dipping Doughnuts". These were ordered and served up one minute later. The dipping sauce looked like thin beef stock and the doughnuts were uncooked. We complained to the waitress who took them away, only to arrive back at our table with the doughnuts now steaming but still pale. The looked a little white but I picked one up to examine it more closely anyway. It dripped out of my hand onto the plate below. When this was pointed out to the waitress she could not understand what was wrong as she had "GIVEN THEM ANOTHER MINUTE IN THE MICROWAVE". I rest my case.

the last time i had a krispy kreme i was roughy one year ago in nyc, in their uptown store on 3rd or lex and while not the best doughnut i've ever had - the original glazed was incredibly good. given their recent growth, it would not surprise me if the quality were to drop, as it approaches more and more the painful starbucks model.

i'm definitely going to try one here in london.

-che

We have a bunch of Krispy Kreme's here in California. You get to see the doughnuts as they go through a see through proofing chamber, then on to the cooking apparatus, where you watch them fry, flip over, then fry again, then run under an icing waterfall. It's great fun for kids and they give everybody a free glazed doughnut.

The doughnuts are like a hot, sweet wisp of fried air. That is, they're not very substantial. My boyfriend doesn't really care for them, but I do like the maple glazed. It's more maply than at other places.

That said, I am tired of seeing American chains in other countries. When I visit other countries, I want to leave America behind. My nightmare is that our world will turn into one big ubiquitous mall where you see the same 5 mega-chain stores. *shudder* I can understand why the world hates the Americans, who invade their territory, and leave in their wake McDonalds franchises.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

We have a bunch of Krispy Kreme's here in California.  You get to see the doughnuts as they go through a see through proofing chamber, then on to the cooking apparatus, where you watch them fry, flip over, then fry again, then run under an icing waterfall.  It's great fun for kids and they give everybody a free glazed doughnut.

The doughnuts are like a hot, sweet wisp of fried air.  That is, they're not very substantial.  My boyfriend doesn't really care for them, but I do like the maple glazed.  It's more maply than at other places. 

That said, I am tired of seeing American chains in other countries.  When I visit other countries, I want to leave America behind.  My nightmare is that our world will turn into one big ubiquitous mall where you see the same 5 mega-chain stores. *shudder*  I can understand why the world hates the Americans, who invade their territory, and leave in their wake McDonalds franchises.

Although, as a Canadian who travels a lot, I am generally delighted to see McDonalds, especially, abroad--not for their fare, but for their washrooms.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

Krispy Kremes are Krack - and - uh - if any one could lend me a few quid to uh (sniff) buy one - I mean - I'll pay them back 'n stuff... no no, I've just had a cold recently....

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

• 3 weeks later...

this morning on my way to work - my traditional morning commute which begins at south kensigton - was converted from a forgetful occasion into an infestuous desire to arrive into the offie, thanks to the 24 doughnuts i was carrying with me...krispy kreme that is, original glazed.

in promotion for their new store at harrod's opening in october, they were handing out boxes of 12...having said i was an existing - albeit part-time - customer eagerly awaiting their arrival in london, they piled on another dozen. cold and all, they are incredibly good doughnuts, and yes they taste exaclty the same as they do across the ocean.

-che