• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Evanston, IL Restaurants: Reviews & Recommendation

ianeccleston

Hello all,

I'm moving to Evanston next week, and I'm a little worried that it won't cut its snuff when it comes to your local restaurant. Chicago has so many hole-in-the-wall places that give a lot of bang for the buck; does anyone have any recommendations for their favorite mid-priced Evanston area eatery?

(and come on, the 'Dining Capital of the North Shore'? What's up with that shit)

Ian

:biggrin:

More stuff there than you'd think, actually. A brief sampler, starting from the top down, would start with Trio, $$$$ home of the cutting-edge chef Grant Achatz (known here on eGullet as 'chefg'). Jacky's Bistro is exactly that -- and very good value for the $$. Around a corner and a few steps east of Jacky's is Bluestone Cafe, somewhat of a young-yuppie hangout in the evenings, with a hemisemidecent wine list and a shifting menu of noshers, burgers, and pastas. Across the street from Bluestone is Symphony's, a neighborhood cafe trying really hard to do better quality, and managing oftener than one would think. If their servers ever get it together... Around a corner and half a block down from Jacky's is Prairie Joe's: quirky, eclectic, and astonishingly cheap (but don't go there if you feel contemplative; half the North Shore brings their uncontrolled brats there on weeknights. Ugh.)

Here's the punch line: Jacky's, Bluestone, Symphony's and Prairie Joe's are all within two blocks of each other. I didn't mention the Starbuck's, the Subway, and the China Cafe either -- still on those same two blocks.

(Edited to get my bolds and italics straight!)

Edited by Lady T (log)

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

Hm. Campagnola, on Chicago Avenue, does damn fine Italian. I can never keep it straight from visit to visit whether that's the pricier of the two restaurants, or whether that's Campagnola Cafe upstairs. Good eating in any case.

SOMEBODY remind me of that Nepali or Tibetan place's name on Church Street, west of Whole Foods! Something Garden? Dang! Beautiful $7 dollar or so buffet on weekends -- I'll look it up and have that for you Monday if no one else comes up with it by then.

Lupita's, on Main Street just west of the Metra tracks, comes up with real interesting Mexican -- the trick is to watch for the good stuff on the different-every-day specials list; the rest of the regular printed menu is the standard-issue Tex-Mex routine. Lupita goes back to Mexico for a visit every year, and every year she brings some neat ideas back.

That should get you started.

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

Just go to Trio. Dont go anywhere else.

I know you must be only joking, but...

I think I'd get bored even of Trio if it was the only place I went out to eat. Plus, even chefg says that it's about the experience, and not about satiation. When I just want to grab a quick bite of something tasty because I've had a bad day at work and can't face the kitchen, Trio is not going to fit the bill...

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Dave's Italian Kitchen on Clark (I know it's not actually Clark but I just don't get why they change all the street names when you get into Evanston) has real good Italian-American food, plus a really good and inexpensive wine list.

There are 2 Japanese resturants south of downtown, New Japan and Kuni's. Stay away from the horrible tapas place.

Unfortunately, downtown Evanston is being run over by a bunch of chains including Puck's Cafe, Chilis, and Corner Bakery.

Here's the punch line:  Jacky's, Bluestone, Symphony's and Prairie Joe's are all within two blocks of each other.  I didn't mention the Starbuck's, the Subway, and the China Cafe either -- still on those same two blocks.

Mind if I ask where this Magnificent Two Blocks is located? Sounds like some good stuff.

And I think I saw Dave's Italian Kitchen on "Check Please" a few weeks ago. The discussion was very positive and everything they showed looked great.

There are 2 Japanese resturants south of downtown, New Japan and Kuni's. Stay away from the horrible tapas place.

Love New Japan...had a very bad experience a few years ago at Kuni's and have not been back since.

Also on Main Street (near Kuni's) are Oceanique for fine-dining with a seafood bent (duh :wacko:) and Lucky Platter (across the street from Kuni's), 2 places that have a lot to offer. Another 'cheap eat' near there is Cross-Rhodes on Chicago Avenue just north of Main St.

And...back on the Central Avenue roster, no one mentioned 'upscale grocery' Foodstuffs. It's a bit hoity toity, but they have some decent sandwiches and their dips and breads are top-notch. And...a few doors west of there is Great Harvest Bread Co., not my fave types of breads, but highly regarded by many.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Lady T, was Mount Everest the Nepali/Tibetan restaurant you were thinking of? I spent four years at Northwestern and just graduated in June, but I have a notoriously bad sense of geography so I'm not sure if Mount Everest is on Church Street.

In Evanston, I like to go to JK Sweets for bibim bop. It's open late at night and the man who runs the place is incredibly nice. The other non-dessert items on the menu are quite hit or miss, but I've been happy with the curry chicken rice dish. For a city filled with restaurants, Evanston - and I'm referring mostly to the area around the Northwestern campus - is disappointing when it comes to good Asian food. But I'll take JK Sweets' curry chicken rice over Joy Yee Noodle Kitchen's overpriced entrees any day. (Oh, but do go to Joy Yee's for bubble tea. Do not get bubble tea at Dozka's.)

As far as chains go, I like Giordano's for deep dish pizza (Monday's are half price! Get there early) and Potbelly sandwiches. Chipotle burritos are another guilty pleasure. Chipotle is owned by McDonalds (agh!) but I'm still obsessed with their burritos.

I like, but have not been overwhelmed, by Dave's Italian Kitchen. And I like Tapas Barcelona, though I'm no tapas expert so perhaps I just don't know what I'm missing. The waiters at Tapas Barcelona also happen to be very good looking.

I think he's making some of the most interesting food in the United States today.

(Although subsisting entirely on Trio food would not be financially feasible for all but a few.)

Bruce

(and come on, the 'Dining Capital of the North Shore'?  What's up with that shit)

Ian

Ian,

yes, a little strong tag line. But Evanston is a good food town.

Middle Eastern:

Olive Mountain Restaurant

610 Davis St.

Evanston, IL

Phone: 847.475.0380

Lunch Mon-Fri 11am-3pm

Dinner Mon-Fri 5-9pm Sat 5-10pm Sun 5-8:30pm

Seafood:

Davis St. Fishmarket (Davis & Hinman, a few doors away from Trio)

Good raw bar items, rest of seafood is hit/miss, with my experience being far more hits than misses.

Jamaican/Jerk:

Spice Garden Cafe

2055 Howard St

Chicago, IL

ph: 773.262.7096

Belizean:

Flower Pot

2 blocks south of Howard on Clark

Desserts:

JR has a website: http://www.jrdessertbakery.com

The outlet store is located at 2841 W. Howard (Howard & California) in Chicago.

Phone: 773.465.6733

Belgian Chocolatier Piron

509 Main Street

Evanston, IL 60202

Phone: 847.864.5504

Darn good simple burgers:

Bill’s Drive-In

120 Asbury (Western Ave in Chicago becomes Asbury in Evanston)

Evanston, IL

Hours: 10am-7pm

Phone: 847.491.9844

A good cheesesteak (no really, it does exist in Chicago IMO)

Philly's Best Evanston

815 Emerson (next to Northwestern U campus)

Evanston, IL 847.733.9000

http://www.phillysbest.com/

Italian:

I’ve never been wow’ed by the “new” Dave’s Italian Kitchen

My vote goes for:

Va Pensiero

1566 Oak Avenue

Evanston, Illinois 60201-4234

Phone: 847.475.7779

Or as mentioned above, Campagnola

BBQ:

Some like Hecky’s, I loved it until I traveled and had “real” Q.

Best rib tips on the north shore are served at the Buffalo Joe’s location on Howard, just west Clark.

Misc:

Definitely Lucky Platter for breakfast or lunch:

http://evanstonillinois.net/luckysite/

Tommy Nevins Pub (not to shabby food either) Good live music

1450 Sherman Ave

Evanston, IL

Phone: 847.869.3930

OVERATED/STAY AWAY:

Dixie bait shop and kitchen

Merles

PS: you also have endless taqueria's/Latin in Rogers Park which is just south of Evanston.

Enjoy,

Willie

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be"

Tommy Nevins Pub (not to shabby food either) Good live music

1450 Sherman Ave

Evanston, IL

Phone: 847.869.3930

Had my first date ever with my (now) wife there :wub:

Love the Guiness on tap there...best place around for that.

Also, forgot about Va Pensiero...a really nice place too.

=R=

I know you must be only joking, but...

I think I'd get bored even of Trio if it was the only place I went out to eat. Plus, even chefg says that it's about the experience, and not about satiation. When I just want to grab a quick bite of something tasty because I've had a bad day at work and can't face the kitchen, Trio is not going to fit the bill...

I thought I was crazy.

Future Food - our new television show airing 3/30 @ 9pm cst:

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/tv/future-food/

Hope you enjoy the show! Homaro Cantu

Chef/Owner of Moto Restaurant

www.motorestaurant.com

I think he's making some of the most interesting food in the United States today.

(Although subsisting entirely on Trio food would not be financially feasible for all but a few.)

Bruce

Be one of the few, the proud.

Future Food - our new television show airing 3/30 @ 9pm cst:

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/tv/future-food/

Hope you enjoy the show! Homaro Cantu

Chef/Owner of Moto Restaurant

www.motorestaurant.com

And...a few doors west of there is Great Harvest Bread Co., not my fave types of breads, but highly regarded by many.

=R=

I prefer Bennison's Bakery which I think is on Davis just west of the El line. They also have a stall at the Farmer's Market.

Bruce

Be one of the few, the proud.

I'm ready.

Sometimes I dream of living upstairs and ordering takeout from him.

Bruce

Thanks! I appreceiate all of your input.

However, I probably won't be going to Dave's Italian Kitchen. Why should I pay good money to have pasta with burnt garlic red sauce? I can do better at home.

And, I'm sure I'll be branded as a heretic here at egullet, but I have very little interest in going to Trio (sorry

chefg). I can't afford to go to those kind of restaurants very often - maybe once or twice a year, if that. And for that, I'd rather go to Trotters, North Pond, Blackbird, etc. etc. From everything that I've heard about Trio it sounds like an amazing place - but it seems like there's a bit too much emphasis on innovation. I worry that the meal might be more intellectual, and less substantial (I'm not talking about portion size). I'm a fairly intellectual guy, but on those occasions that I go out, I'd rather have great inventive food instead of, you know, seaweed foam (I'm not going to make the pilgrimage to Adria either). If I had enough money to go to these restaurants more regularly, I might be more willing to give it a try. As it is I probably will go there eventually, but I'm not chomping at the bit. Anyone want to talk me into it?

I will try everything else though. I like the Platter, Campagnola (now Bistro Champagne), and have had Va Pensiero on my list ever since I stayed in the wedding suite at the Marguerita Inn (for my wedding night, in fact).

As a point of interest, Littlemisscrepe, the guy that we're buying the condo from in Evanston owns Tapas Barcelona, and my beautiful wife was a waitress there at one point. :)

Thanks again! I'd love to hear more from everyone - but this is already good enough to print out and go over with my wife. (a hidden benefit of having everything in boxes is the excuse to hit all the cheap restaurants in our old neighborhood before we split - Thai Super Chef, here we come!)

Ian

I prefer Bennison's Bakery which I think is on Davis just west of the El line. They also have a stall at the Farmer's Market.

Yum! I absolutely love their butter cookies...Julie used to work like 1 block from there. Oh, the hazards of the workplace :biggrin:

=R=

Moved in to the new place last night, woke up early and had breakfast at the Lucky Platter... I have a feeling it won't be the first time.  Thanks for all the suggestions!

Ian

The owners, Ken and Eric are friends of mine...tell them I say 'hi'...they once let me use the restaurant for a shoot back in '92 when they were closed on Mondays--just handed us the keys and left us on our own. Very nice guys. I used to live less than a block from there...I really miss it :sad:

=R=

Getting to this thread kinda late, but since I made the same move (from the city to Evanston) a while ago, I thought I'd add my 2 cents . . .

Homemade Pizza on Central next to Great Harvest has incredibly good cook-it-yourself takeout pizza (try the Savory Pie).

Pita Inn on Dempster in Skokie is a regular stop for hummas, falafel, etc. at incredibly cheap prices (my wife and I eat very well there for $11).

Jilly's Cafe on Greenbay near Central is charming, less expensive, and less pretentious than Jackie's (though Jackie's is definitely good).

Heavenly Hearth in Wilmette makes the best bread on the North Shore.

Know it's a chain, and there are some good independent coffeehouses in Evanston, but Peet's has the best cappucino I've ever had, anywhere.

Bagels at New York Bagels and Bialys on Dempster in Skokie are the real deal.

Though it's true that Downtown Evanston is clogged with chains and other mediocre food choices, here are two good ones: Stained Glass is very good when you're in the mood for a great glass of wine and a civilized dinner with a price tag far south of Trio. And Blue Sapphire is pretty reliable Thai in a setting that is less college-town-grungy than many of the ethnic choices in downtown Evanston.

Second the rec for Piron Chocolate, and also for periodic trips down Clark Street to some of the fabulous Mexican restaurants down there. Our faves included La Cazuela (great ceviche) and Dona Lolis (great squash-blossom quesadillas).

And I definitely envy your proximity to the Chicago-Main Newsstand!

Homemade Pizza Co

2122 Central St

Evanston

Pita Inn

3910 West Dempster

Skokie

Jilly's Cafe

2614 Green Bay Rd.

Evanston

Heavenly Hearth Bread

1101 Central

Wilmette

Peet's

1622 Chicago Avenue

Evanston

New York Bagels and Bialys

3500 Dempster

Skokie

Stained Glass

1735 N Benson

Evanston

Blue Sapphire

1709 Benson Ave.

Evanston

La Cazuela

6922 N. Clark

Chicago

Dona Lolis

6924 N Clark St

Chicago

Thanks Joe! I didn't know any places on Clark St., exept for the couple of generic taquerias I've been to, plus the tamale stands that Guajalote has suggested in other posts. Pita Inn is one of our favorites too - can't beat the price - it's got to be one of the best falafel places in the area. We want to try Kabul House sometime too - can anyone recommend it?

Ian