• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sous Chef/Chef de Cuisine/Line Cook Recognition

inventolux

Just thinking while readining the Pastry Chef recognition thread. I have to say, in todays world of book promotions, ad campaigns, chef personality development techniques and every other factor that makes life more challenging on the kitchen leaders due to a head chef's absensce, why dont we recognize the core team. After watching a taped copy of Trio on Into The Fire, I was ecstatic not only for the direction Grant is taking his food, but how he allowed the interviewing of many of his kitchen and waitstaff members to be a large focus of Trio as a team. In my opinion, it was the most cerebral half hour the food network has ever taped.

Recognition can come in many forms, saucing every plate perfectly all night long or ensuring every team member carries the same vision and goals. Making sure every team player goes home every night eagerly anticipating the next day of production. But that recognition is questioned when chefs focus more on the self promotion business rather than the making a greater restaurant business.

Thoughts, comments, am I nuts?

Future Food - our new television show airing 3/30 @ 9pm cst:

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/tv/future-food/

Hope you enjoy the show! Homaro Cantu

Chef/Owner of Moto Restaurant

www.motorestaurant.com

Yeah Invento, YOU'RE NUTS. But things could be worse right? You could be on television proving to everyone that you're not what your reputation belied. It's an affliction that was commonly known as Ubridaled Flayism but has come be known as Rocco's Achillian Meatball Syndrome. Why is the big push for celebrity so important anyhow? Don't tell me you're angling for the big deal too. Man, stay underground, hide from the camera.

invento, you're not nuts. You're toasted nut spuma.

I haven't seen the Into the Fire show yet (not on in Canada), but chefg (Grant) has always seemed to me to be very respectful and appreciative of his crew.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

At least we're not the ONLY industry that ignores the grunts who execute the Famous One's brilliant inventions day in and day out. Show me an industry in which one of its captains tells the press, "Yes, we had a great increase in profits last year because Joe Schmoe and his crew of Jane Bane, Steve Reeve, and Dale Pale did a fantastic job at our Podunk plant" and THEN I'll tell you you're nuts. Sure, a lot of companies give lip service to everyone being on the team (gah!) but you know it ain't so.

The other night I ran into one of the top managers from Myriad Restaurants. I have not worked for them since 1997 -- and back then not even at his particular restaurant -- but he remembered me. And when I see Drew Nieporent, he too remembers me; he seems to remember EVERYONE who ever worked for him. That to me is more important: that the folks who run the business know their employees and appreciate them.

Self promotion, next to killing lobsters, will get you nowhere when THE MAN is thumbing through your file.  Book store chefs are but "scabrous rectum kissers", cardboard cutouts of genius.

Im curious to know what you edited out from this post.

Future Food - our new television show airing 3/30 @ 9pm cst:

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/tv/future-food/

Hope you enjoy the show! Homaro Cantu

Chef/Owner of Moto Restaurant

www.motorestaurant.com

Self promotion, next to killing lobsters, will get you nowhere when THE MAN is thumbing through your file.  Book store chefs are but "scabrous rectum kissers", cardboard cutouts of genius.

Im curious to know what you edited out from this post.

Note that I. Reilly is inactive.

I doubt you'll hear. Furthermore, I'd doubt that you'd want to know anyway.

Forward rather than backward! :wink: