• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I Was Eating ____

elyse

I have been wanting to try durian for years.  I really like stinky smells that taste wonderful.  Ummmmm...cheese.

Edited to say:  Let's not forget that the French call stinky cheese the feet of God.

The French are NEWCOMERS to offensive smelling food, you've got to go to the old countries for the real stink. Only thing that they are experts in is "BO", that's why Paris empties out of French during August because they can't stand to smell each other, during the hottest weather. Every travel on public transportation in Paris? Just to point out to you the difference in "AROMAISTICS", you insinuate that "Durian" smells like "Toe Cheese". Your wrong "Durian" smells like Rancid Kerosene. The smell of "Toe Cheese", was voted at a Brandy/Tasting by the Original Charlies Angels in Honolulu, to come from the delightful "Chinese Cerimonial Beverage" enjoyed by President Nixon during his visit to China, "Mou Tai", now that smells like "RIPE TOE CHEESE" with awsome alcohol content. As they say "Bottons Up for onesupmanship.

'

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

At a friend's house we were served what I was sure was a pork roast, I even ate seconds - turned out to be leg of lamb - and I  HATE lamb...

Is your friend sure he bought lamb???? :biggrin:

Oh yes - it was at his parent's house in Ireland and every sunday is leg of lamb day - no mistakes, every one else recognized it as lamb - which is odd, b/c I'm usually the first one to recognize even faint herbs and flavourings...

I was duped...

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

Oh yes - it was at his parent's house in Ireland and every sunday is leg of lamb day - no mistakes, every one else recognized it as lamb - which is odd, b/c I'm usually the first one to recognize even faint herbs and flavourings...

I was duped...

I found the lamb in Ireland to be exceptionally good, which may have made the difference. When I lived in rural Ireland I returned from a visit to NY to find my then-boyfriend has agreed (over many pints at the pub) to purchase an entire butchered lamb from Paddy the Sheep Farmer. I was only clued in when Paddy showed up to deliver it.

I didn’t like lamb at the time, but when faced with 40 pounds of it in the freezer I gave it the old college try. It was frankly exquisite. Delicate, herbal, and you could almost taste the fresh sea air. It was also interesting being so close to the food supply as we had watched those lambs play in the fields on our walks over the mountain to the coastline where Paddy grazed them.

I love lamb now :smile:

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

Elyse, where did you get the blueberry muffin? Maybe it had lard in it. If it was made with Jiffy Mix, it did. I suspect if Jiffy uses lard in their mix, a lot of other cheap muffin mixes do too. The toaster probably brought out that wholesome lardiness.

I don't know about your creme brulee, but if you ordered it from somewhere, who the heck knows what they splashed on it. It was probably sitting near some chicken soup fumes.

Dude, I made from flour, salt, baking powder, milk, eggs, butter, blueberries... I can't remember what else was in them. From scratch, my friend, from scratch! I have yet to incorporate lard in my baked goods. Makes selling complicated.

lol, you guys are wonderful :)  Thanks for the laugh(s)!

To clarify, I am a straight man, and I was most certainly speaking about female ass.

To clarify, the straight man doesn't make the jokes, he's the butt of them.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Cajun Pringles ... ass.  They taste like ass.  Apparently, I know what ass tastes like.

This didn't sound like a "yummy yummy ass!" ststement to me.

and some cheese tastes like feet. but when people use that phrase to describe the cheese, they're not saying is disgusting. although that's the opposite i think. :blink:

Edited by tommy (log)

It was actually to be taken as an indifferent statement. As Tommy mentioned, all ass is not created equal. I've had some good ass, I've had some bad ass. On the hole (pun intended) though, I'd eat ass again. So, it can't be that bad. I'd eat Cajun Pringles again too, but only if I'm lonely.

So I take it then that ass tastes like Cajun Pringles.

Or at least some ass.

I see.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

It was actually to be taken as an indifferent statement.  As Tommy mentioned, all ass is not created equal.  I've had some good ass, I've had some bad ass.  On the hole (pun intended) though, I'd eat ass again.  So, it can't be that bad.  I'd eat Cajun Pringles again too, but only if I'm lonely.

Tee hee!

Yes, Jin, ass would then taste like Cajun Pringles. :wacko: Eww.

All those laws about food manufacturers being able to sue people who insult their product -- like the whole apple thing -- are off the books, right? Oprah took care of that?

Yesterday I had (gas) grilled steelhead and the dark layer against the skin tasted like corn on the cob. Which wasn't also on the grill.

First time I ever tried wasabi, my first comment was: "Tastes like shoe polish." :shock:

How I figured that, I'll never know... shoe polish has NEVER been a staple in my diet! :wacko:

Edited by ErinM (log)

Erin

"American by birth, Irish by the grace of God"

First time I ever tried wasabi, my first comment was: "Tastes like shoe polish."  :shock:

How I figured that, I'll never know... shoe polish has NEVER been a staple in my diet! :wacko:

but the big question is,

do you STILL think that? :biggrin:

oh and welcome to egullet!

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

First time I ever tried wasabi, my first comment was: "Tastes like shoe polish."  :shock:

but the big question is,

do you STILL think that? :biggrin:

oh and welcome to egullet!

Thanks!

As for your question, yes, but only if I happen to get a really good hit of it. Tiny, tiny bits of it overwhelm me, but don't give me that same feeling.

Now, this will probably be committing a sacrilege of some sort but....I love sushi plain, no soy sauce, no wasabi. Plain ole spicy tuna rolls are HEAVEN! :wub:

Erin

"American by birth, Irish by the grace of God"

Last holidays, I had a bunch of pecan and walnut halves left over. I didn't want them to go to waste so I decided to season them and toast them for snacks. I did the usual butter, Worchestershire, seasonings that I have used dozens of times for pecans. The walnuts had a really nasty fishy taste! The only thing I can figure is that something in the walnuts reacted with the anchovy in Worchestershire.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

No canola oil? That always tastes fishy to me.

Yesterday I had a chocolate bar (sticks) which had a faint taste of either styrofoam gas (when you bite the rim of your hot chocolate cup?) or the gaseous aftertaste of Redi Whip.

No canola oil?  That always tastes fishy to me.

Yesterday I had a chocolate bar (sticks) which had a faint taste of either styrofoam gas (when you bite the rim of your hot chocolate cup?) or the gaseous aftertaste of Redi Whip.

Canola oil, yes. I agree.

Styrofoam and Redi Whip, I have no idea. Is that what Adria is doing at El Bulli these days?