• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I Was Eating ____

elyse

I just toasted a blueberry muffin (which I made) and it came out of the toasteroven tasting like pork. I did burn it a little, but I don't put pork in my toasteroven.

Another time, I ordered creme brulee, and it tasted like chicken fat.

Anyone get surprise tastes like this?

Pasteurised clover honey and butter taste like Vaseline smells. Is that what you mean?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I suspect the same evil force that is behind unexplained cravings for corn dogs. :laugh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

The only way I can describe the taste of store-bought kasha varnishkes (kasha, carmelized onions and bowtie pasta) is "band-aids."

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

At a friend's house we were served what I was sure was a pork roast, I even ate seconds - turned out to be leg of lamb - and I  HATE lamb...

Is your friend sure he bought lamb???? :biggrin:

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I find that the first wiff and quaff of Rolling Rock beer is just like a dish of ham 'n' beans. The peaches I used last night came out of the hot water I used to skin them smelling like used socks.

9 out of 10 dentists recommend wild Alaska salmon.

Anything with rosewater tastes like cold cream. So do some Alsatian wines :angry::angry:

Tequila tastes the way I imagine gasoline does. :sad:

And I did once get some butter cookies that unexpectedly tasted of cayenne, but I know how that can happen (besides, I liked it!)

I had a cold last week and I kept smelling/tasting rotten fish. I made dinner for my family, took one bite, and was convinced I had done something horribly wrong. I was appalled until they all assured me that I am, in fact, crazy. It was all fine, my tastebuds were just confused.

My best friend thinks cilantro tastes like soap, but so do a lot of people.

and on the flip side, nuoc cham smells like, well, the other side, on your fingers.

Yeah, pretty much. I often stumble over the best description of its aroma, even among relatively close friends, for fear of seeming..... crude. But it's true.

Also, while eating chocolate fondue with a female companion, I was informed that ground cherries (hozuki, japanese lantern fruit) taste like semen.

and on the flip side, nuoc cham smells like, well, the other side, on your fingers.

Yeah, pretty much. I often stumble over the best description of its aroma, even among relatively close friends, for fear of seeming..... crude. But it's true.

salty, sweet, acidic, and fishy.

On a visit to Boston a couple of years ago, I experienced *meat-toast,* as I now think of it. The night before I'd had an unusually large amount of beer (for me, that is), so I was feeling a little off-kilter in the morning. I wanted a good, solid, simple breakfast, so my cousin (who I was visiting) and I headed out to one of her favorite spots. I ordered two eggs over-easy with some "grilled sourdough toast," as the menu appealingly called it. When the server set my toast down on the table, I noticed an oddly meaty smell (think hamburgers, clouds of smoke over the barbeque) but ignored it...that is, until I took a bite. :shock: The toast tasted like a hunk of grilled meat, but with the familiar crispy, airy texture of toast. Meat-toast. It was like licking the oily-drippy underside of a grill (if my imagination is on target), which is probably not far from what I was actually doing by eating the stuff. [shudder.]

She blogs: Orangette

Meat-toast. Mmmm.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Cajun Pringles ... ass.  They taste like ass.  Apparently, I know what ass tastes like.

What is nuoc cham? And what exactly is "the other side?"

Cajun Pringles ... ass.  They taste like ass.  Apparently, I know what ass tastes like.

elyse, do you find that you pretty much don't understand anything? :rolleyes:

Oh dear, guess I need to teach the stevedore more stuff.

Nuoc cham = nuoc mam = nam pla = fish sauce

Got it yet?

Or, to tell the grossest joke I ever heard: Why are a woman's anus and vagina so close together? So that when she gets too drunk, you can carry her home like a 6-pack.

I hope I haven't offended too many of you out there.

elyse-

nuoc cham = fish sauce

the other side - think about your animals nickname

course you are being facetious

ignore the tommy - he is busting you

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

elyse, do you find that you pretty much don't understand anything? :rolleyes:

Well, since Special Ed's a guy, and tommy is a guy, the other side would be dick in my book. Can I say that here? And I wanted to know why these two guys who I thought were straight boys thought this stuff tasted like dick. Fair? And fish sauce? How the hell would I know the foreign names of fish sauce?

tommy's a pain in the other side of nuoc cham.