• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cardiff

Quick update - went to the bay recently, was sad to see that Scallops had closed and been replaced by a cafe rouge, not that scallops was great but at least it was independently mediocre, if that makes sense.

Was also a pity to see that Brazz had closed, a bit late now but Brazz was an ok brasserie, but very overpriced on opera nights, its now replaced by a branch of Gilby's, which is not great at Culverhouse Cross, can't imagine its much better in the bay.

Everytime I go there it seems to be worse not better, however, two saving graces for the bay- the turkish place is decent with a great setting and Ba Orient...

I didn't try Garcon but went back to Ba Orient, have upgraded my view of the Dim Sum, was actually very good indeed, especially the lighter shellfish based ones, better than Royal China or Golden Palace in Harrow. Drinks were decent too. (NB noticed today, in the OFM awards as best bar in Cardiff, I like the drinks there but thats a bit of an indictment on bars in Cardiff if its as good as they get).

• 7 months later...

Does anyone know what the cardiff food scene is like at the moment, i've been keeping half an eye on Le Gallois. I need a fairly special place for an anniversary meal with the girlfriend. Hope you've got some recs for me.

Cheers.

Nothing?

Calum - Does it need to be Cardiff...?

Abergavenny isn't that far away and it is home to two great chefs: Shaun Hill at the Walnut Tree and Stephen Terry at The Hardwick. I think the Walnut tree has rooms, if not there will be plenty of cheap options in town.

I enjoyed my meals at both (after a trek from Bath). Stephen is slightly more "pubby (in a cheffy way) whilst Shaun is slightly more cheffy (in a pubby way). Go to The Hardwick for lunch then a long dinner at The Walnut Tree. Bliss.

In the past my research on Cardiff has only turned up luke warm recommendations so I stuck with Abergavenny.

We have a hotel in cardiff and wanted dinner so i'm afraid it would have to be, reason being we're going to a gig the night before the anniversary. Le gallois looked like the most suitable place, but if any of the lukewarm recommendations are better than that then i'd love to hear them.

We have a hotel in cardiff and wanted dinner so i'm afraid it would have to be, reason being we're going to a gig the night before the anniversary. Le gallois looked like the most suitable place, but if any of the lukewarm recommendations are better than that then i'd love to hear them.

According to the good food guide, there's been a chef change at le gallois. Anyone know what its like since that? I went back to Ba Orient again a few weeks back, it really is very good dim sum and its quite stylish so worth thinking about.

Yeah i noticed that when i checked the website, the new menu sounds quite interesting, certainly like theyre pushing for stars, and the chef has had a good background or so it seems at least.

Will definitely keep ba orient in mind, cheers.

According to the good food guide, there's been a chef change at le gallois. Anyone know what its like since that? I went back to Ba Orient again a few weeks back, it really is very good dim sum and its quite stylish so worth thinking about.

Oh, that's interesting... A quick look at the website reveals it to be Grady Atkins. The 'Degustation' menu doesn't really excite. Carte looks better though. We may pop along this weekend and let you know.

Oh, that's interesting... A quick look at the website reveals it to be Grady Atkins. The 'Degustation' menu doesn't really excite. Carte looks better though. We may pop along this weekend and let you know.

Yeah let us know whats going on there. I had a chance to gander in some food guides in waterstones today, It looks like Le gallois is the only place doing anything like this, but i did like the look of the a la carte menu.

• 2 weeks later...