• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Real Yuanan or Sichuan in S.G. Valley (LA)

dfunghi

I go to Hua's on Garvey and it has some of the hottest and strangest food Ive ever had. This is not like Hu's in culver city. This is the real deal. Was wondering if any others here have tried it and what they think and do they know others. Ive tried Chunking on Garvey and although it also was authentic and super hot it was a little oily and under cooked. Hua's gets it right and has excellent chef.

D

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Founder of http://finepalatefoods.com/

My husband and I might be in - just depends on the date. When were you thinking about going?

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Word. Thanks for showing up, everybody! Sorry, no pictures, but if memory serves (please correct me) we had:

Sichuan Rice Noodle Soup

Hot Pot Chicken

Spicy Twice Cooked Pork

Sizzling Squid with Black Pepper and Chilis

Shrimp in Sweet Garlic Sauce

Sauteed Snow Pea Shoots

~Tad

Thanks for the invite, Tad! I especially loved the noodle soup (good suggestion, Theresa) and the twice cooked pork. Very enjoyable meal, and great company :biggrin:

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Word.  Thanks for showing up, everybody!  Sorry, no pictures, but if memory serves (please correct me) we had:

Sichuan Rice Noodle Soup

Hot Pot Chicken

Spicy Twice Cooked Pork

Sizzling Squid with Black Pepper and Chilis

Shrimp in Sweet Garlic Sauce

Sauteed Snow Pea Shoots

~Tad

It was not Sichuan Rice Noodle Soup.

It was Yunan Cross the Bridge Noodle Soup.

Yunan Steamed Claypot Chicken.

Sorry, tissue - I was trying to read up on Yunan, but the books I had only referenced the Sichuan area, so I had Sichuan on the brain last night and this morning. And, I usually grab a to-go menu, but forgot. Thanks for the correction. "Yunan Cross the Bridge Noodle Soup" sounds like it would have a great story behind the name.

~Tad

It's about a scholar who was studying for his exams and his wife had to cross this bridge to get to the study area at the back of their property to bring him food. She found out out that if you put a thin layer of oil on the soup and keep things separate while she carried the noodles over the bridge it would be hot and fresh when he ate it.

That's why the waitress put in our noodles and stuff separately.

• 3 weeks later...