• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite/Least Favorite Food "Celebrities"

erraticninja

I guess it really bugs me that people place evaluative judgments about others such as "bimbo" and "freaky" and "used to be a guy."  Now, what do these inane comments do anyway? 

I dunno...create some laughter because they're possibly true? As soon as these food newbies do something as monumental as Julia or Jacques in the food world I will make fun of their giant beach ball heads teetering haphazardly on their semi-anorexic bodies. "Never trust a skinny cook (with a big head) is my motto. :raz: Oh...I met Jacques in person in Boston and he looks like a large, happy worm. He has a "wormy" face. Great chef though, and I respect him!! :cool:

I still don't find the relevancy of comments as such as eG is much more than a place to "let's make fun of ______________" [fill in the black with whichever food celebrity] based upon their physical appearance.

That was my point.

Edited by beans (log)

• 1 year later...

Favs

michael smith- all around nice guy

james barber- first show i ever watched...all stemed from there

anthony bordain- no explanation needed

martin yan- so entertaining to watch and his knife skills are amazing

Least favs

christine cushing- i find her very pompus

anna olson- very dry on tv but much better in person

canadian Living ladies- should have stayed behind the pages

Edited by car85 (log)

Faves

Bourdain - Entertaining anti-christ who gets to the heart/gut of the matter.

Alton Brown - He's my visual McGee, I've learned more from McGee and Brown than from any others.

Oliver - Must admit, his simple no nonsense approach is perfect for a busy family with young kids.

Nigella - There's just something about her. She's so comfortable,

Not so Faves

Rachel Ray - Just doesn't do it - the $40 a day show is a horrible premise

Rocco - What a prima-donna

James Barber - Horrible sanitary practices - watch very closely and you'll see what I mean

Homer: Are you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?

Lisa: No.

Homer: Ham?

Lisa: No.

Homer: Pork chops?

Lisa: Dad, those all come from the same animal.

Homer: Heh heh heh. Ooh, yeah, right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal. (The Simpsons)

Favs:

Alton Brown

Tony Bourdain

Jaques Pepin

Julia Child

Mario Batali

Jean-Louis Palladin

Rachel Ray (just because I have a crush on her)

Rick Bayless (although he did loose points with me when he did that burger ad)

Dislikes:

Charlie Trotter (I think his buttoned collars are cutting off his circulation)

That woman from Everyday Italian on FOODTV(I can't even justify learning her name she bothers me so much)

Sanda Lee (no talent, too perky)

Michael Chiarello

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

Mr. MelissaH has maintained for quite a while now that Giada's head is too big. I haven't watched her much myself; something about that show makes me want to change the channel...or wait for the end of the half-hour.

Gotta second previous remarks about natural-foods Christina. We have a PBS station that devotes a good chunk of Tuesdays to food shows, and after watching hers one rainy day, I was about ready to (a) turn her off; (b) laugh till I wet my pants; and © change into a dry pair of asbestos underwear and fire off a letter to her. (Really, now, how on earth could sprinkling salt over carrot sticks in a bowl help break down cellulose and make them more digestible? And if you added as much flaxseed as she does, would you ever get off the john?)

That said, a few hours after Christina, we're blessed with a full hour of Julia, in various incarnations. Current selections are in her kitchen with "master chefs" and Baking with Julia. I never get tired of watching those.

I don't care much for the new Charlie Trotter show. (At least it's new to me.) The first Kitchen Sessions was OK and watchable, but I can't handle the new one. Any time I see someone standing in front of a dozen little pots, taking a dollop from each and constructing a plate, I yell at the chef on the screen to "Get real!" I don't know if the show's changed that much from the first season, or if my supply of patience for things that will never happen in my own kitchen has just been exhausted.

Although there was a moment in the first show that really grossed me out, thinking back on it: it was in the episode where he cooked fowl. The part that got me was when he showed us some-or-another whole raw bird, caressed it with his bare hands, and then immediately touched another whole roasted bird with his same bare hands, in the same continuous camera shot and without an intermediate stop at a sink with hot water and soap. :shock: After seeing that, I swore I'd never eat anything he laid finger on. Or have I just taken too many biochemistry classes?

I suspect Emeril might be much more watchable when he's not in front of a large audience with cameras rolling. The bigger turnoff about him, for me, is that he's messy in the kitchen. Maybe you quit caring about that when you get rich enough to hire someone to clean your kitchen for him.

Who would I like to see come to my TV? Flo Braker. Harold McGee, even in a cameo role on Alton's show. Someone doing Korean cuisine. Someone who can help me figure out how to get everything for dinner finished and on the table at the same time!

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Mr. MelissaH has maintained for quite a while now that Giada's head is too big. I haven't watched her much myself; something about that show makes me want to change the channel...or wait for the end of the half-hour.

I suspect Emeril might be much more watchable when he's not in front of a large audience with cameras rolling. The bigger turnoff about him, for me, is that he's messy in the kitchen. Maybe you quit caring about that when you get rich enough to hire someone to clean your kitchen for him.

Ah, that's who Lil' Big Head is!! Sorry, that's the only way I've ever known her. And no, I wouldn't snark on her if I liked her show, which is feh. It just doesn't grab me, and the camera work makes me dizzy. Same with Jamie and Nigella...seriously, I suffer from terrible motion sickness (I can't play a lot of video games because of this, sadly :sad: ) and I honestly need a Dramamine to be able to handle any of the wonky camera work on those shows. It doesn't matter how good the content is if it makes me want to throw up when I watch it.

And yes, I actually CAN handle Emeril in small doses when he's not pandering to a live audience. Well, I can have his Essence show on while I do housework and not have to stop dusting to change the channel, which may the closest I ever come to giving him and out and out endorsement.

I like Sara M., Ming Tsai, Alton Brown, and Bourdain most of the current personalities in terms of content and character.

I don't know about being a mama's boy, but Ming Tsai come across as being VERY dorky, and I saw him get really seasick on a show once, which sort of cemented my love. Ah, dorky motionsick mamasboys. :wub:

Sandra Lee is the only Food Network personality to whom I seriously object. I can see her having, say, a 2-3 minute segment sponsored by Campbells (or Cool Whip!) in between shows (in fact, I can see that being a terrific vehicle for her), but a whole 30 minute show really stretches her limits. Her kitchen hygiene is a microbiologist's nightmare, too. She never seems to actually wash her hands. Not that I ALWAYS wash my hands when cooking for myself or for my husband, but when cooking for my imaginary friends, I always wash thoroughly with warm, soapy water.

I'm just grateful I don't have a show. I have no industry experience, a white-girl afro, and my accent is bad enough that they would probably add in subtitles post-production so that people could understand me. But you know, if I was putting myself out there like that, I'd expect people to make fun of those things because well, people just do that. I'm just sayin'...

Edited by JennotJenn (log)

Gourmet Anarchy

• 2 weeks later...

The food network formerly was a chef and serious homecook based network but subsiquently now is a quick fix, for a generation of non-cooks from a a plastic pouch in the betty crocker isle.

Bourdain- he has good sarcasm; widely, however, unfavorably know.

some say a sellout, but he knows what he is talking about.

Julia Childs- I admire her passion for good food.

She would never eat in a dim restaurant,or she would demand more light; because she likes to see her food. I cried real tears of butter when she passed.

The Iron chefs shows, The whole kitchen stadium thing is a little off. No way they do that in only one hour. Facinating to see the ideas .

I cannot stand those cook a meal in thirty minutes, half homemade, 40 dollars a day, and of coarse emeril bambizzil:: wam::: He would not know how much oil an egg holds if it were not for his quote cards.

it is all nonsense for me. sometimes the easy way is best, but never the less i like homegrown meals best.

Animals eat, men and women dine, and men and women of good taste dine well"

Julia and Alton because I've learned so much from them.

Mario because his food always looks so damn good.

Bourdain because he's amusing.

I have to step up for Giada and say that a lot of the stuff she makes is really good. She's not pushing any boundaries, she's just making really good, really simple food. I can't comment on her looks (I think she's quite pretty. Some of you guys are ruthless. Please make sure I'm out of earshot when you discuss how I look, mkay? :wink:), but I CAN say I think she smiles too much in a really creepy Stepford Wife kind of way. Its a bit off-putting, but not enough to keep me from watching.

*Edited to add Nigella. I love her because she makes cooking look like foreplay.

Edited by Dani Mc (log)

Okay, this is taking things in a little different direction... but how about an evaluation of recipes and cooking techniques? I realize many people on this list don't use recipes at all, so that discussion might be a little difficult. Have any of you actually made any of the dishes you've seen made on TV, the way the program host has made them?

So my question is, what do you think these people *literally* bring to the table? Their job is to teach people to cook. Are they accomplishing that?

Here's an example. A few weeks ago, I was watching Giada's show. She was cooking pasta. She insisted the water had to be salted with sea salt... and lots of it: "Make it salty as the sea." My problem with that is, that there are very few (maybe none) people with palates sensitive enough to detect whether pasta has been cooked with sea salt, kosher salt, or any other kind of salt, as long as an appropriate amount of some kind of salt was added. So, in my opinion, the whole sea-salted-pasta-water business is just catering to a current fad, and it's not teaching people important information about cooking. Feel free to disagree.

I'd love to hear some evaluations of the actual cooking. Whaddya think?

I've made things from all of the chefs I listed above. Most dishes have come out wonderfully, and I would do them again. Julia taught me how to fix mayonnaise when it won't come together. Alton taught me how to make custards. As far as I know, Nigella doesn't really create her own recipies, but borrows from other sources and adds her own twist. I like that because thats what I tend to do. I'm just not at the level where I can create new things completely on my own. Nigella hasn't really taught me any basic techniques, but its through her books and shows that I've learned food doesn't need to be fussed over and precious to be good.

edited because I didn't read that the question was about SEA salt, and not just salt in general.

Sounds like a personal preference to me. I remember Alton saying something about any salt other than plain table being better, because the crystal surfaces weren't uniform, so it dissolved more completely. I may be recalling this incorrectly.

Edited by Dani Mc (log)

I cannot stand those cook a meal in thirty minutes, half homemade, 40 dollars a day, and of coarse emeril bambizzil:: wam::: He would not know how much oil an egg holds if it were not for his quote cards.

How much oil does an egg hold? And what does it mean to say that an egg "holds oil"? I thought that most eggs held, well, egg.

Giada is thin, but she clearly exercises because her arms are quite toned. I don't find anything "scary" about her--in fact, I think she's one of the most attractive women on FoodTV. I found some of the comments about her body rather rude and unnecessary. As for her show, it's not the best, but it's not terrible either. I like that all of her dishes are simple to prepare, and delicious-looking.

I love Anthony Bourdain, Mario Batali, Michael Smith, all the Iron chefs, Ina Garten (her food looks so rich and delicious!)

I dislike Rachel Ray's 30 Minute Meals show...she's cute and bubbly, but some of the phrases she repeats are a little annoying. I do, however, like her on $40 Dollars a Day--she seems more comfortable, and I love looking at the different restaurants she visits. Some of the worst shows on FoodTV Canada right now are the Surreal Gourmet, Martin Yan (I can't stand even 2 minutes of this show--he seriously annoys me to death), Party Dish, and Calorie Commando (his desserts look especially revolting.)

Once I really started to wrinkle my brain I found something I appreciated about all of these people. Be they unequaled bores, cheeze balls or stellar annoyances.

Perennial favorites-...Julia Child, Jacques Pépin and Martin Yan. I can watch them at work for hours.

Not so much-...Natalie Dupree. She reminds me of faded Southern gentility- thats her good point. Nick Stellino. Good food prepared by a gent with a circus ring-master personality- is that really an Italian accent, sir? Really? Caprial and John. Again, good food but a dangerously annoying couple. It was worse when they had a live audience. -cringe-

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

How much oil does an egg hold? And what does it mean to say that an egg "holds oil"? I thought that most eggs held, well, egg.

It's a little like holding your liquer, maybe. How much oil an egg can hold when making mayonnaise?

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

It's a little like holding your liquer, maybe. How much oil an egg can hold when making mayonnaise?

Aha, that makes sense. Thanks!

Love to watch:

Nigella - gorgeous. Met her at a booksigning. So gracious!

Jamie Oliver -must confess to my weakness for British men. Why, lord, why?

Tyler Florence - such a cutie! Met him at a booksigning. So cute and friendly!

Alton Brown

Rachel Ray

Barefoot Contessa

Tony Bourdain

(Ok, I must add that the naive part of me wants to think that hey, maybe Nigella and Tyler are nice but the cynic in me thinks that it could just be part of the job of being at a booksigning.) :smile:

Can't stand:

Bobby Flay -eegads, he's so rude and full of himself.

Sigh...I don't get the Food Network anymore, but when I did, I enjoyed:

Mario Batali - you have to get past his tone to see that he's making really great italian food. I'd also never heard of deep frying in olive oil.

Alton Brown - Can't imagine why people are so hard on a guy who makes perfect fried chicken and explains why it's perfect

Two Fat Ladies

Nigella...to a certain point

Surreal Gourmet - The "Bacon and Eggs" was pretty silly but I've made a few of his salads and liked them. In latter episodes I think he toned down some of the themed meals

Test Kitchen - Heresy to those who dislike bowtie man. He made scrambled eggs three, no four ways to find the best method. Plus the equipment reviews can be helpful, and a lack of no commercials since it's on PBS.

I dislike Emeril for reasons of personality...his recipes and spice mixes are quite tasty

Favorites: Bourdain (his cookbook is great)

Mario - I've learned more from this man about basic cooking technique than anyone else.

Paula Dean - say what you want, the lady can cook - go to her restaurant sometime.

Losers: ALTON BROWN - as a professional chemist, he offends me by professing to know anything about chemistry. The man is just a loser who's found a gullible audience. Do a little background check on him and his wife (producer) and you may be surprised at what you find.

Emeril - what a joke! Have you ever seen the meatloaf episode? If you have you know what I'm talking about. The man is a walking disaster.

There are a lot of other losers out there, but these are the cream.

From Dixon, Wyoming

Mario Batali --- love his cookbooks, his recipes, his restaurant, his philosophy about food and family

Tyler Florence --- except for the fact that he says "That's fun-tastic" about 1000 times during a given show :biggrin:

Paula Dean --- I am sucker for southern food and her desserts :cool:

Bobby Flay --- The food he makes looks good, and I like to see which places he goes to here in NYC

Giada De Laurentiis --- simple, basic recipes, but perhaps I am biased toward Italian food shows, as that's my favorite cuisine :smile:

NEUTRAL

Alton Brown --- Lots of good tips on his show, but I don't want to know the history of every single dish I make

Ina Garten --- she makes some good stuff, but her personality to me is blah

Emeril --- I hate the stupid catch phrases, but he does make some good food

Rachel Ray --- I hate 30 Minute Meals, but $40 A Day is cool

DISLIKE

Calorie Commando --- "Cut the fat, keep the flavor"...gimme a break...cut the crap

George Stella --- I'm not a big fan of the low carb thing...for me, everything in moderation

Jamie Oliver --- Just can't get over the accent and the lisp

Sandra Lee --- most of the stuff she "makes" (read: "buys") seems disgusting

Sara Moulton --- not a fan of her food or her personality