• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite/Least Favorite Food "Celebrities"

erraticninja

• 3 weeks later...

First hello (newbie here) and a thanks to Ronnie for posting that short slurp on Keith Floyd. Dayummm...I love that man. But not as much as I love Tony Bourdain. His comment on fish sauce was so dirty....but OH so funny! Unfortunately I was watching with my aged mother at the time, who wanted me to 'splain the girl/fish thing. Oy! :blink: Anyway my favorite foodies are:

Tony. :wub: Never thought I could fall in love with a celeb but...I did.

Keith Floyd (dang I wish I'd stolen that video of "Floyd on France" from the Boston Public Library before I split--the bloody wonderful thing is OOP now! :angry: )

Julia Child (met her in Boston...was so excited I cried)

Jacques Pepin (met him too. He's very nice looking in person but not as tall as one would think)

Nigella

Ruth Reichel (Tender At The Bone was just amazing

M.F.K. Fisher (as writer and as person...she rules)

Can't Stand:

Most of the crap on Food Network

Alton Brown (used to like him, now he totally grates on my last nerve)

Mothra Stewart (worked with her in '82 when she was still a nothing caterer. She thinks her poop smells like ice-cream... :rolleyes: )

Rachel Ray (annoying little bimbo)

EMERIL--absolute Neanderthal in the kitchen. Has all the class and finesse of a moose in ballet tights.

Rachel Ray (annoying little bimbo)

My 18 month old son is in love with Rachael Ray.

If I were 18 months old, I might just like her myself. :laugh: I guess I like more seasoned (pun intentional) food people. It seems so many of these TV Food Network "stars" have no real resumes under their belts. They're as green as the asparagus they're steaming. The choices on TFN are so limited now. Each time I tune it it's Emeril Emeril Emeril....or a show on candy making around the U.S. Have they taken off that abomination with the two women cooking low-fat vs. full fat foods? My GAWD that was painful to watch. Absolutely in the "what were they THINKING?" category. I actually liked TFN when it was in its infancy and practically all the shows used/shared the same kitchen. The shows were bare bones, but you actually learned something.

Edited by Pickles (log)

What do you people think of Andreas Viestad and his show New Scandinavian Cooking?

I've been very eager to view it myself, since purchasing and trying out "Kitchen of Light" (I have a Swedish fiancee, and I'm learning Scandanavian cuisine.)

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org

My 18 month old son is in love with Rachael Ray. He just sits spellbound whenever 30 minutes meals is on. She's so nice and smiley. :laugh:

Probably because they're on the same level cerebrally. :wink:

My faves:

Tony Bourdain (anyone this snarky gets my vote)

Christopher Kimball (throwback to my Mr. Wizard days)

Paula Deen (anyone who cooks with that much bacon...)

Tyler Florence (this is on looks alone)

Jacques Torres

My un-faves:

Sara Moulton (zzzzzzzzzzz (and I'm afraid of midgets))

Jaime Oliver (he's got to be one of the most asexual people alive)

Rocco

Anyone even remotely associated with Iron Chef

Emeril

Sherri A. Jackson

Ms. Ray's bio. seems she's done quite a bit more than me.

That's so sad, tommy.

As for Ms. Ray, candy counter clerk then food store manager and product buyer at a few places then becoming a "chef" as well and doing cooking classes that led to a TV show is far less experience than I thought she had. Which raises my estimation of her somewhat but not enough to be interested in watching her.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Oh. More in service industry.

That's good then. :smile:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Love:

Julia. She's a 6'2", 91-year-old goddess! I'd pay money to watch her sit and pick her teeth.

Joan Nathan -- especially her Eastern-European and Middle-Eastern stuff. (I'm turned on by culinary anthropology!) And while her earlier books weren't exactly well written (or tested) her later books have been great.

Alton Brown -- I like to learn. He teaches. I'm grateful.

Ina Garten -- I like her food. I wish she'd invite ME to the house for lunch!

Neutral

Anthony Bourdain. OK -- I know most women and a lot of men would give anything to b*** him. But I'm not of the "Unwrapped" generation. I want to see him cook. Maybe then I'll want to b*** him.

Can't Abide:

Giada. That head is FREAKY! And have you seen the size of those hands? I wouldn't be surprised if she used to be a guy!

Paula Dean: Please, for the love of God! Make her shut up! If she's not the most annoying thing to walk the planet, "...then grits ain't groceries in a poor man's basket!"

David Rosengarten: No one could possibly love David as much as David loves David. There is nothing wrong with him that a diuretic and a public whipping wouldn't cure. If I wanted to be talked down to, I'd call my mother-in-law, thank you very much. And has anyone seen his new "newsletter"? From the promotional flyer, it sounds like the World Weekly News of Food. What's the snobbiest way to say "sellout"?

Michael Chiarello: The Jack McFarland of Food TV. 'Nuff said.

Edited by Comfort Me (log)

Aidan

"Ess! Ess! It's a mitzvah!"

My two cents, for whatever it's worth. My expectations when dialing up the Food Network or PBS cooking shows is to learn. Basically, I subdivide the tv chef universe in three: substance with style; substance over style; and style over substance. I also find it the most piquant of ironies that they juxtapose The Barefoot Contessa with Giada DiLaurentis!

In my book, those from which I learn the most:

--Jacques Pepin: (bar none the best; occasionally tongue-tied, but a paragon)

--Julia Child: (a bit off her top game, but still informative)

--Alton Brown (often tedious, but very informative)

--Mario Batali: (rapid-fire talking, over-gesturing, slapdash approach can be offputting, but nobody has a better grasp of Italian regional cooking and traditional approaches to food)

--Sara Moulton (foursquare and technically solid; sometimes too cutesy, but still a valuable source of techniques)

--Lidia Bastianich (Italian gemutlichheit to the max; not as informative as Mario, but no slouch)

--David Rosengarten (somewhat smug, but very knowlegable)

In the ``style over substance" category: Emeril (his popularity is remarkable, considering the negative comments he's elicited here; probably more a performer than a chef); Bobby Flay and The Barefoot Contessa.

Giada. That head is FREAKY! And have you seen the size of those hands? I wouldn't be surprised if she used to be a guy!

So, what about her food?

I guess it really bugs me that people place evaluative judgments about others such as "bimbo" and "freaky" and "used to be a guy." Now, what do these inane comments do anyway? If you don't like a show, well then say so. No need to belittle that Food Network host on such a personal level.

I loathe Paula Deen's show (general dislike of the food she makes, i.e., "Chinese Salad" using the storebough Ramen Pride noodles and "seasoning" pack for dressing) and Sandra Lee's Semi Homemade because of the awful ideas of using kids lunch pudding packs to make tiramisu and sometimes incorrect instructions (making meringue by dumping both the sugar and whites into the bowl and whip). But I don't see any merit in making issue with one's accent, upbringing, etc.

I mean, we're all here to discuss food, right?

All IMHO. :rolleyes:

I guess it really bugs me that people place evaluative judgments about others such as "bimbo" and "freaky" and "used to be a guy."  Now, what do these inane comments do anyway?  If you don't like a show, well then say so.  No need to belittle that Food Network host on such a personal level.

that's a good approach. i try (and yes, sometimes fail), to only type things that i'd say to someone's face, or if i knew they were reading. it's quite easy to refer to someone as "fat", for example, and really hurt their feelings. anonymous or not.

i suppose the line is different for all of us though.

Edited by tommy (log)

Ina Garten -- I like her food. I wish she'd invite ME to the house for lunch!

Whoa, another Ina fan! :biggrin:

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org

I loathe Paula Deen's show (general dislike of the food she makes, i.e., "Chinese Salad" using the storebough Ramen Pride noodles and "seasoning" pack for dressing) and Sandra Lee's Semi Homemade because of the awful ideas of using kids lunch pudding packs to make tiramisu and sometimes incorrect instructions (making meringue by dumping both the sugar and whites into the bowl and whip).

Tell me about it...

Maybe they could run those 2 shows back-to-back and call it "Cracker Meals".

Fav:

----

Jacques Pepin - a true master chef. I always learn something useful from him.

Anthony Bourdain - what's not to like. I love his honesty and snarkiness.

Rick Bayless -- love his show

Chef must die soon:

---------------------

Rocco -- enough said

Bobby Flay -- condescending and a big jerk

Emeril -- just get off my fu*king screen. Enough already.

Ming Tsai seems like a nice guy, but he is such a mama's boy, I wanted to puke.

Edited by eknoo (log)

I guess it really bugs me that people place evaluative judgments about others such as "bimbo" and "freaky" and "used to be a guy." Now, what do these inane comments do anyway?

I dunno...create some laughter because they're possibly true? As soon as these food newbies do something as monumental as Julia or Jacques in the food world I will make fun of their giant beach ball heads teetering haphazardly on their semi-anorexic bodies. "Never trust a skinny cook (with a big head) is my motto. :raz: Oh...I met Jacques in person in Boston and he looks like a large, happy worm. He has a "wormy" face. Great chef though, and I respect him!! :cool: