• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite/Least Favorite Food "Celebrities"

erraticninja

For all you New Yorkers out there - have you seen Floyd the Food Guy who does the food segments on NY1?  He annoys the hell out of me.  Who is this joker?

If we're talking locals, I simply adore the Vegetarian Indian lady who does the show on Cupertino public access cable. Can't get enough.

Paula Dean (ARGHHHHHHHHHH)

I hate to admit I was watching her show today--she was making s'mores. S'MORES--graham crackers, chocolate bar, marshmallows. SIMPLE. EASY. Why was she showing this? She was saying pearls of wisdom like, "The graham crackers split in two at the peripheral edges." No shit.

Kelli

My fav's have been discussed already so on to the "Nay" vote:

-The "Test Kitchen" guy...far too snobby (what is it with bow tie wearing snobs?) & he nevers cooks.

-Jane Butel really, really shouldn't be on TV - looks like she's always pissed at someone.

-Rick Bayless - I'm sure he knows his stuff but he sounds like Peter Lorre teaching spanish.

-Bobby Flay and Jacqui Malouf...though I understand he's ditched poor Jacqui...who is now forced to watch their past relationship over & over again on the FN. She's found her hell and it's the FoodNetwork.

And finally:

-I could never stand it when Jeff Smith's "assistant" (we won't go there :wink: ) Craig appeared on "The Frugal Gourmet". Pomposity-in-training. I actually threw stuff at the TV screen when he was on.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

So, say that we had a Q&A with Emeril Lagasse, nobody would appreciate it?

Theoretically speaking.

I think that would be neat. So many people here have put him down that he should have an opportunity to respond to whatever questions are put to him.

Judy Rodgers would make another good Q&A.

My $0.02:

Eminently Watchable:

Julia

Jacques Pepin

Iron Chef - with or without dubbing (I don't speak Japanese)

Bourdain

Nigella

Emeril - pre-Food Network (such a different guy back then)

David Rosengarten

Great Chefs - all business

Shirley Corriher

Joan Nathan

Much Respect, but Hard to Watch:

St Mario - especially the season with the sidekick guy. For the current show, why put him with a live "audience" if he hates being interupted while cooking?

Rick Bayless - clearly knowledgeable and passionate, but...

Ming Tsai - his parents were the best asset

Tyler Florence - seems to know his stuff, but Ultimate recipes don't seem like they'd be better than the originals

Emeril - newer studio shows are bearable, but I cringe when he says something in italics

Todd English - really great food, just not a TV guy

Alton Brown (the Bill Nye of cooking)

Wolfgang Puck

CIA and CCA shows - b l a n d

Burt Wolf

Gray & Rogers - Italian

Informative, But Looks Like Everything Would Taste the Same

Martin Yan

Roy Yamaguchi

Michael Lomonaco

Food Probably Tastes Just Okay, But Show and/or Persona is Hard to Take

Sara Moulton (I'm a jerk, I know)

Food Probably Tastes Good, But Show and/or Persona is Absolutely Unbearable and Could Not Even Stand to Have a Beer With:

Bobby Flay (seems to me like he should know the Spanish word for flavor)

Wayne Harley Brachman

Michael Chiarello

Martha - great guests, though

Show and/or Persona is Absolutely Unbearable and Could Not Even Stand to Have a Beer With:

Nick Stellino - just embarrasing

Ainsley Harriot

Home on the Range

Only Good as Eye Candy:

Padma

Losing Respect By the Minute:

Rocco

Rachael Ray

Got No Love For:

Emeril - any live audience setting

Tommy Tang

Surreal Gourmet

Donna Dooher-Cookworks on FoodTV -condescending

Jamie Oliver

Keith Famie

Gary Rhodes - That English Guy Who Hosted Masterchef

George Hirsch - "take and put your steak..."

John Ash

Joanne Weir

Side note: I was lucky enough to attend the Aspen F&W Classic this year, and it became clear that the majority of foodies who had the means/interest to attend such an event want entertainment first, expertise second. People with lots of schtick and easily encapsulated information get cheers, those with thick accents and recipes with more than 5 ingredients are received with vacant, glazed eyeballs.

Thanks for reading.

~Tad

Side note:  I was lucky enough to attend the Aspen F&W Classic this year, and it became clear that the majority of foodies who had the means/interest to attend such an event want entertainment first, expertise second.  People with lots of schtick and easily encapsulated information get cheers, those with thick accents and recipes with more than 5 ingredients are received with vacant, glazed eyeballs.

Thanks for reading.

~Tad

You just hit on the reason some of the programming is what it is. The audience here is NOT like the rest of the world. And you were at a festival that supposedly "serious foodies" pay big bucks for. At least you would think they are serious given how big the bucks are. And yet you saw that kind of reaction. Hmmm...

It still doesn't explain all of those inane "unwrapped" shows, though.

BTW... I enjoyed your post. I found it very thoughtful.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Side note:  I was lucky enough to attend the Aspen F&W Classic this year, ....

I kept looking at the ads before it happened thinking it might be worth going to. But, having little money and not liking to travel more than a couple of hundred miles for something unless it's extraordinary, I didn't.

Maybe start a thread that reviews your impressions (and maybe others that went will chime in) for those of us that didn't make it.

Oh man, I love WayneHarley Brachman. Now that guy has a history.

Other faves:

Jamie Oliver (Yes, I know. :rolleyes: )

Tony Bourdain

Alton Brown, especially when Shirley Corriher is on.

the Two Fat Ladies

Julia & Jacques

Rick Bayless

Jacques Torres

Not so faves:

Bobby Flay. Every time he opens his mouth I want to slap him.

Ainsley Harriott

Mario Batali. Great food. I just wish he would lose the pedantic tone.

Joanne Weir, although her recipes are really good.

Martin Yan

Christopher Kimball

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I don't think anyone has mentioned Jeffrey Steingarten.  LOVE Jeffrey Steingarten.  Now there's a man who is *driven* by food.

*nods emphatically*

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

i don't think i've ever seen a more dorky personality than Rachel Ray.  first of all, anyone who giggles at their own inane "jokes" should be tarred and feathered.

the thing is, she's a cute girl, but the personality makes my stomach turn and makes her way less attractive than she should be.

I'll bet she rehearses all those histrionic hand gestures before taping and the crew keep their distance lest they're inadvertantly knocked out. It comes across as someone signing on crank.

PJ

"Epater les bourgeois."

--Lester Bangs via Bruce Sterling

(Dori Bangs)

It comes across as someone signing on crank.

PJ

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

So that is what it is that bugs me about her!

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

It seems to be universally agreed - Bobby Flay is irritating. Very. Amanda Hesser mentioned him in one "Food Diary" column, where she talks briefly about the "smirk" on his face. I can see that quite clearly.

I like Tony Bourdain and Alton Brown a lot. As much as I like Bourdain, I don't see what he meant about Alton Brown's "holier than thou" speech. I don't get A&E, but I saw part of Alton's acceptance speech on the internet (http://www.jamesbeard.org/awards/awards.php?year=2003) and it wasn't that bad. It was sort of self-deprecating, actually. Alton Brown may have just been surprised by being greeted by Tony Bourdain and not known how to respond that quickly and Bourdain just misunderstood. I think I'm being objective in saying this, having done the same thing myself many times - I was a completely socially inept dork for much of my life. :smile: I really find it hard to believe that he's a jerk - I've read MANY nice things from the people who have gone to his book signings. He'll sign anything, take pictures, and stay until the last person leaves. (Or the store kicks him out, I guess.)

I like Tony Bourdain and Alton Brown a lot.  As much as I like Bourdain, I don't see what he meant about Alton Brown's "holier than thou" speech.  I don't get A&E, but I saw part of Alton's acceptance speech on the internet (http://www.jamesbeard.org/awards/awards.php?year=2003) and it wasn't that bad.  It was sort of self-deprecating, actually.  Alton Brown may have just been surprised by being greeted by Tony Bourdain and not known how to respond that quickly and Bourdain just misunderstood.  I think I'm being objective in saying this, having done the same thing myself many times - I was a completely socially inept dork for much of my life.  :smile:  I really find it hard to believe that he's a jerk - I've read MANY nice things from the people who have gone to his book signings.  He'll sign anything, take pictures, and stay until the last person leaves.  (Or the store kicks him out, I guess.)

welcome to egullet, alton. :laugh:

-Jane Butel really, really shouldn't be on TV - looks like she's always pissed at someone.

-Rick Bayless - I'm sure he knows his stuff but he sounds like Peter Lorre teaching spanish.

Jane Butel. What is that stuff? Who can't do that? Why is she showing us that she can do it too?

Rick Bayless is great. I love his body of work. A great contribution. But his voice seems to go to a higher pitch with each episode. I can't watch him anymore.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I like Tony Bourdain and Alton Brown a lot.  As much as I like Bourdain, I don't see what he meant about Alton Brown's "holier than thou" speech.  I don't get A&E, but I saw part of Alton's acceptance speech on the internet (http://www.jamesbeard.org/awards/awards.php?year=2003) and it wasn't that bad.  It was sort of self-deprecating, actually.  Alton Brown may have just been surprised by being greeted by Tony Bourdain and not known how to respond that quickly and Bourdain just misunderstood.  I think I'm being objective in saying this, having done the same thing myself many times - I was a completely socially inept dork for much of my life. :smile:  I really find it hard to believe that he's a jerk - I've read MANY nice things from the people who have gone to his book signings.  He'll sign anything, take pictures, and stay until the last person leaves.  (Or the store kicks him out, I guess.)

welcome to egullet, alton. :laugh:

Heh.

I think Bourdain just mistook Brown's geeky dorkosity for a snub. Alton prolly just bugged his eyes out and set his jaw while think, "Oh no. It's Anthony Bourdain. Jeez, he looks like a mean guy. I better get outta here."

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Side note:  I was lucky enough to attend the Aspen F&W Classic this year, ....

I kept looking at the ads before it happened thinking it might be worth going to. But, having little money and not liking to travel more than a couple of hundred miles for something unless it's extraordinary, I didn't.

Maybe start a thread that reviews your impressions (and maybe others that went will chime in) for those of us that didn't make it.

Thanks for the suggestion, Nick. Will do.

fifi - thank you. I was kinda surprised by that reaction as well - more in that new thread.

~Tad

I think Bourdain just mistook Brown's geeky dorkosity for a snub. Alton prolly just bugged his eyes out and set his jaw while think, "Oh no. It's Anthony Bourdain. Jeez, he looks like a mean guy. I better get outta here."

I can see that. I see tony as a cool kid, leather jacket smoking behind the gym wheras alton is more of a chess club type of guy. in this situation i can totally see alton being intimidated by tony esp. if alton has see a cooks tour.

as far as rick bayless i had forgotten about him. i like his passion, and some of the food and knowledge he exhibits is awsome but damn the entertainment factor is nil. the man is unwatchable. i want to read some of his books hopefully those are better. i feel the same way about mario and ming. i like their philosophy but can't watch them.

as far as rick bayless i had forgotten about him. i like his passion, and some of the food and knowledge he exhibits is awsome but damn the entertainment factor is nil. the man is unwatchable. i want to read some of his books hopefully those are better. i feel the same way about mario and ming. i like their philosophy but can't watch them.

I am into Mexican cuisine and Bayless is one of the best. I put him right up there with Zarela Martinez and Diana Kennedy. I agree that he is hard to watch but I still do because I am so interested in what he has to say.

I really enjoy his books. I recommend them. He includes a lot of helpful background information. I also like the way he offers alternatives and other approaches to a recipe. That is how Mexican cooking is really done.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

-Bobby Flay and Jacqui Malouf...though I understand he's ditched poor Jacqui...who is now forced to watch their past relationship over & over again on the FN.  She's found her hell and it's the FoodNetwork.

I'm sorry, but Bobby is nuthin' without Jacqui. In the original Hot Off the Grill, she did all the talking and most of the prep work, while Bobby stayed in the background, flipping whatever it was he had on the grill. When they changed formats and ol' Bob got all buff and lost his little man-titties and took center stage, supported by assorted mafioso-type food purveyors like "Joey the Fish," I stopped watching. He just doesn't have enough personality to go it on his own; witness the dull Boy Meets Grill.

Granted, he did do a good job when he substitute-hosted for Sarah Moulton on Cooking Live Prime Time. He seems to be better on-camera when he's not scripted.

That said, here are my favorites, in random order:

Bourdain

David Rosengarten

Alton Brown

Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall (had a short-lived series on Food TV back in 1999 called TV Dinners and I was sorry to see it go)

the Two Fat Ladies (hubby and I dressed as them one Halloween!)

Jacques Torres (swoon)

un-favorites:

Aaron Sanchez (can't watch Melting Pot at all, in case he's on)

Rachael Ray (gag)

Sarah Moulton

Justin Wilson

Kathy

Minxeats
http://www.foodloversguidetobaltimore.com/'>Food Lovers' Guide to Baltimore

Favorites include:

Alton Brown

Jacques Torres :wub:

Mario Batali

undecided:

Emeril (the guy is growing on me)

Martha Stewart (the jury is still out on this one)

un- Favorites:

The Naked Chef

The Barefoot Contessa

(I'm beginning to see a pattern here....maybe these people should just keep their clothes on)

"If we don't find anything pleasant at least we shall find something new." Voltaire

From my interaction with Alton, (small ones on a discussion forum) he seemed like a nice guy.

My favorites:

Alton

Julia

Two Fat Ladies

I can't stand Emeril or Bobby Flay and (don't shoot me for this) don't particularly like Mario Batali. His attitude annoys me, I don't care what he knows about food.

:wub: Faves:

• Bourdain (duh)
  • St. Jacques (given)
  • St. Julia (ditto)
  • Jacques Torres
  • Caprial Pence
  • Bob Blummer (for the silliness)
  • Mario Batali
  • Alton
  • Two Fat Ladies
  • Todd English
  • Ducasse, Malgieri, Desaulniers, Keller, Trotter (they're celebs, no?)

:smile: Lukewarm:

• Emeril
  • Ming
  • Bobby Flay
  • Rick Bayless -- respect his passion and knowledge, just couldn't stand his personality on an old Martha Stewart featured segment.
  • Wolfgang Puck
  • Jeff Smith
  • Sara Moulton

:blink: Neutral:

• Ina/Barefoot Contessa
  • Giada
  • Tyler Florence
  • Martin Yan
  • Jamie Oliver

:angry: Dislikes:

• Paula Dean
  • Rachael Ray
  • Martha Stewart

Edited by beans (log)

Tyler Florence - seems to know his stuff, but Ultimate recipes don't seem like they'd be better than the originals

His "Ultimate Beef Stew" is incredibly good....though I would add more veggies. And his "Death Defying Shrimp with Tasso Ham and Crab", while not an "ultimate" recipe, is a real crowd pleaser whenever I've made it. I would never kick him out of my kitchen or off my TV.

It still doesn't explain all of those inane "unwrapped" shows, though.

The "here's how the corn gets from the field to your table" films they used to show in my grade school fascinated me so I don't mind the "Unwrapped" shows. I always enjoy seeing how my Zagnut was made. :wink:

Unmentioned FAVE since it doesn't involve a celebrity chef and I couldn't care less about the host, Tori Ritchie, but I love the premise:

"Ultimate Kitchens" on Food Network

Showing me things I will never ever have in my kitchen but I still love watching every minute of it.

There was an episode showing a kitchen with a built-in wok surrounded by a water moat (to flush away anything that fell out of the wok while stir frying) just made me want to cry happy tears. Who thinks of these things?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver