• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite/Least Favorite Food "Celebrities"

erraticninja

the.Neeley's.must.go.

After all of the negative comments, I've avoided their regular show, but caught a few minutes of their "road show" last night........ I'm rarely speechless, but damn. Are they always like that? Are there always five hundred not-so-subtle references to boning? Do they always act like something as simple as opening a jar is rocket science?

I am of the firm opinion that UNLESS they are geniuses on the level of Andy Kaufman and their intent is to torture the general public with lunk-headedness that makes Rachael Ray look like Joel Robuchon, then they should be taken off the air and never be spoken of again. They will then become the "Lord Voldemort" of the food world.....their names shall not be spoken aloud.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

I can't take the Neely's. Not even 5 minutes into it the first time I watched sent me running! Course I can't take much of Rachel Ray either.

Saw Grill it! with Bobby Flay for the first time. It was alright. Very toned down from past shows and it could possibly grow on me, maybe.

My Favorites in no particular order:

Morimoto

Alton Brown

Bourdain

Tom Colicchio

Jose Andres - Made in Spain was great

Mark Bittman - His show is good, but he can be a little weird sometimes

Zane Lamprey - Pretty funny guy and it's nice to see food from other parts of the world

Batali

The whole cast from the original Iron Chef

Favorites because I think they are hot and I make no apologies for being a typical male pig  :biggrin: :

Giada - actually, I kind of like her show as well as her

Padma - I watch Top Chef anyway, she is just an added bonus

Ingrid Hoffman - I don't watch the show, but I like her

Least Favorite:

Neelys

Hippie Gourmet

Fieri - Look at his page on FTV.com and read his description.  What exactly are skateboarder shorts?  I grew up skateboarding, but apparently I was doing it all wrong because I didn't have the proper attire.  No one informed me that there were special shorts.

Thats all I can think of for now.

So who is the Hippie Gourmet?

I really enjoy Mike Colomeco's Food Show on PBS Sundays (NY/NJ). Now there's a guy who deseerves a wider audience.

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

faves - keith floyd,

nigella lawson (she's my fave),

kylie kwong - exactly the same in person as on her shows

jamie oliver - but only because of the 'jamie at home' show as well

anthony warrol thompson - in a 'the grandpa i never had' kind of way - sorry anthony

gordon ramsey - until he gets too competitive and insecure then he goes into the unfaves cat.

unfaves/highly annoying - giada (the italian cooking show? is that her)

emerelle (sp?)

the british 'ready steady cook' set

can't stand rachel ray, paula dean and rocco's face unnerves me.

love mario. floats like a butterfly....

"Gourmandise is not unbecoming to women: it suits the delicacy of their organs and recompenses them for some pleasures they cannot enjoy, and for some evils to which they are doomed." Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

MetaFooder: linking you to food | @foodtwit

Absolute Favs ~

Mario Batali

Gordon Ramsey

Marimoto (I can't spell his name but his food is slammin')

Alton Brown

Jamie Oliver - love his show, the food is so fresh and just looks good, his recipes are good too...

Ones I can live without

Sandra Lee (she can open boxes, should work in a warehouse, can't cook)

Rachel Ray

Paula Dean

Neelys

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

• 3 months later...

Oh come on, Kim, like you've never had potato puree mixed with vodka in a champagne flute. (With caviar for some reason.) Ha ha ha!

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

Favourites:

-Nigel Slater (maybe not so much on tv but his writing is like poetry; I love to read his books before bed)

-Nigella Lawson (I love watching her passion for food and her recipes are great. Beautiful woman too -always a plus)

-Jamie Oliver (I particularly enjoy Jame at Home since I love rustic cooking; he could do with less spluttering and spitting though...actually, it's kind of endearing hah)

-Dave Lieberman (very charismatic, is a BABE and his recipes are very approachable)

Dislike:

Sandra Lee (annoys me beyond anything; not sure how she landed her job -she doesn't COOK!)

EDIT: How could I forget Anthony Bourdain (I suppose I was thinking specfically of cooking shows)?! I adore him!

Edited by Ce'nedra (log)

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

I love:

- Nigella. I want her to feed me. I also always cook out of her books and it's always no fuss and it always works. I also love that she's genuinely greedy.

- Lidia. I like watching her cook, I always learn a lot from her. Again, she's genuine and sincere about the food.

- Madhur Jaffrey. To me, one of the classics.

- Tom Colicchio, he's awesome.

- Nigel Slater

- Hugh F-W.

I have a soft spot for:

- Anthony Bourdain. Sometimes he makes me cringe, but he's great.

- Jamie Oliver. Aw, bless. In his little heart I think he really does care about what people eat.

- Gordon Ramsay. A lot of what he does (the million shows, etc) is completely unnecessary - but I've eaten at his restaurant a few times and the food was great. I think on Kitchen Nightmares - the British not the American version - you can see that he really does know what the hell he's doing.

- Anthony Worral Thompson. Is he always drunk and slurring?

I don't like

- I actually love watching Ready Steady Cook... but Ainsley Harriot is the WORST. Why does everything he makes have to be in 'less than 10 minutes' or whatever? I swear to God once I saw him make a dessert in less than a minute and he glued two digestive biscuits together with honey.

- Delia. She makes me feel unloved and depressed.

- Rachel Ray. I've actually never seen her make anything that I wanted to eat. Also 'evoo' makes me want to stab myself in the head.

Edited by gingerbeer (log)

Speaking of Ready Steady Cook (Aussie version), I love Janelle Bloom! Most of the other chefs are the high-end restaurant types whereas Janelle is very domestic, which I actually prefer. Her food always looks gorgeous and warming for the soul.

Edit reason: typo argh!

Edited by Ce'nedra (log)

Ah yes, I forgot to mention another of my favourites (sort of a new discovery for me) is Ching He Huang. She aims to serve modern, fresh Chinese food (I can just about hear Chinese purists grinding their teeth hehe) and the results are always really good! Much of her cooking also reminds me of my own family favourites -actually, her viewpoint on healthy Chinese food is very much like my parents so I have a soft spot for her. Her first cookbook is excellent and I'm currently deciding on her second one...

You can find some of her videos on youtube.

Edited by Ce'nedra (log)

Good:

Mario Batali

Alton Brown

Anne Burrell

Jamie Oliver

Kylie Kwong - I could listen to her recite the congressional record

Bobby Flay - he's served his penitance

Anthony Bourdain - for his writings about some of the food "stars"

Bad:

Emeril

Rachel Ray

Paula

The awful cake show

The semi home made ummm whatever

the trend away from cooking shows that help me learn more about cooking.

Oh yes, thanks for mentioning Kylie Kwong. How could I forget? Personally, I don't think she has the kind of aura suitable for tv, but she's lovely in books. Her recipes are heavily reliant on all things fresh, which I deeply appreciate (and would love to get my hands on more).

• 11 months later...

I ate at Lupa friday. If Mario is full of it, I want to eat it. It was an insanely beautiful dinner. On screen he dances through the kitchen, big man that he is. I like him best on iron chef, where he's mostly just cooking, and happy. I like to watch him in action, but now that I've eaten his food, it may never be enough again.

[Host's note:  To avoid an excessive load on our servers this topic has been split.  The discussion continues here]

Edited by lesliec
Added host's note (log)

"Gourmandise is not unbecoming to women: it suits the delicacy of their organs and recompenses them for some pleasures they cannot enjoy, and for some evils to which they are doomed." Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

MetaFooder: linking you to food | @foodtwit