• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Hand Mixers

Richard Kilgore

Bamix is pretty much the "go to" for a high end hand mixer.

Second that. I recall startled glances over to my wife's station, to see her using a Bamix on wet solids I'd only consider suitable for a mortar and pestle. Doesn't even get hot. She prefers light tools but doesn't mind the weight.

Per la strada incontro un passero che disse "Fratello cane, perche sei cosi triste?"

Ripose il cane: "Ho fame e non ho nulla da mangiare."

Point of clarification: are you talking hand mixer like the sort of thing you'd use to make a quick batter, or like an immersion blender aka blender-on-a-stick? I associate the Bamix brand with the latter, but to me "hand mixer" means something more like this: http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-KHM5APWH-5-Speed-Ultra-Power/dp/B000BVZ5X0/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1364316077&sr=8-5&keywords=kitchenaid+hand+mixer. We have a KitchenAid hand mixer, which I use when I don't need the oomph of a stand mixer but am too lazy to beat by hand, such as when I want to beat a few egg whites stiff. It's lasted through probably 15 years of intermittent use, so take that as you will.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I had an old KA hand mixer (not talkin' immersion type) that lasted 15 or 20 years, but then I had to replace it. The new one was awful--blades were lose and tended to fall out. The last Cuisinart I bought was also terrible. Last year I got a Viking, which came with two sets of different blades, digital control and is on the heavy side. Very satisfactory. I think it cost a little more than the other standard hand mixers, but it was def under $100. I don't own a stand mixer, so I use it frequently.

Five models of the Bamix are currently on clearance at The Foundary. I don't know how those prices compare to other retail outlets, but they're about 45-55% off list.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

• 9 months later...

This week my bread and baking experiments will start. I was thinking that a good hand mixer might be a worthwhile tool. I have no immediate plans to make big batches, or even small batches, of bread dough that requires kneading, so I don't need heavy duty or large capacity. Plus, I really don't have the space for a stand mixer.

I'd like a beater that will take a whisk attachment as well as use regular blades. Other mixing accessories might be nice, but frankly, I can't imagine what they might be right now.

I'd like a mixer that can do low speeds, such as when starting a mixing job, but that can get up to a nice speed for those times when it may be needed.

So, being almost a complete novice with these things (I've only used a low quality hand mixer once or twice with poor results, and until now I've been pretty satisfied with my old Ecko manual beater), what features should I be looking for, what brands or models are worth considering? What's your experience been with these tools? Thanks!

... Shel

I'm a bit confused, Shel, about why you'd like a hand mixer if you're going to start making bread. I've always either done bread in a stand mixer, or by hand. What breadmaking tasks are you thinking would be made easier with a hand mixer?

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

I use a hand mixer for kneading bread, partly because I'm impatient, and partly becuause I [almost] only ever work with rather slack doughs, which a re a mess to knead by hand. This works really well (although you can't just stroll away from it the way you can with a stand mixer), and it has the advantage of being a really versatile piece of equipment, and cheaper than a stand mixer.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

I'm a bit confused, Shel, about why you'd like a hand mixer if you're going to start making bread. I've always either done bread in a stand mixer, or by hand. What breadmaking tasks are you thinking would be made easier with a hand mixer?

I have no immediate plans to make big batches, or even small batches, of bread dough that requires kneading, so I don't need heavy duty or large capacity. Plus, I really don't have the space for a stand mixer. The breads I'm making can all be done with a hand mixer.

It's simply a matter of saving some time and energy over using my manual, 1960s Ecko beater.

... Shel

if you are familiar w any of the "Atrisan Bread in 5 min ... " books this hand mixer works great and is easy to store:

http://www.amazon.com/Danish-Dough-Hand-Whisk-Mixer/dp/B002U85906/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hg_2

Thanks for the thought and the pointer, however, I am definitely focused on an electric hand mixer.

Getting ready to make popovers today for the first time. The pan is scheduled to arrive today and I just returned from picking up the needed ingredients.

... Shel

• 1 month later...

My KA hand mixer quit working and I need to buy a new one. I went to a kitchen store today and looked at a Breville as I have some of their other stuff and find it to be very good quality. The salesperson said that in his opinion, Breville was better than the KA as the beaters are heavy duty compared to the KA. One person in this thread mentioned that they had the Breville and were very happpy with it. Does anyone else have the Breville and if so, do they like it? I see that Dualit, Viking and Waring also got positive mentions. Before anyone tells me to buy a stand mixer, I already have a KA one. Like Shel_B, I am looking for comments on hand mixers. Thank you!

• 4 years later...

The handle on our GE hand mixer just cracked, so after 40 or 50 years (this was my mom's hand mixer), we're in the market for a replacement. Anything new in the way of products or advice since the community last (February 2014, I see; btw, @ElsieD: did you ever get a replacement?) visited the issue?

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I have nothing positive to say in this one.  We were in Moab Utah, which is not the center of kitchen ware, when my old hand mixer went, and we had no choices except the Hamilton-Beach Speedburst.  It's lasted a few years already...now that's good...cause nothing lasts anymore...but I wouldn't buy another one.  As I recall it was pretty inexpensive though. 

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

We have one made by KitchenAid. My husband had it when he was a postdoc, before we got married, so it's over 2 decades old at this point. It doesn't get a lot of use, but it works fine for those things that are too small to bother with a stand mixer.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

51 minutes ago, Dave the Cook said:

The handle on our GE hand mixer just cracked, so after 40 or 50 years (this was my mom's hand mixer), we're in the market for a replacement. Anything new in the way of products or advice since the community last (February 2014, I see; btw, @ElsieD: did you ever get a replacement?) visited the issue?

I bought a Breville hand mixer and have been very happy with it.  Along with the regular beaters it comes with a whisk and a dough hook.  Both the whisk and the dough hook are useless, in my opinion.  I tried the whisk for the first time the other day to whip some cream and the regular beaters would have been faster.  As for the dough hook - it's kind of puny looking and I can't imagine it being useful.  I only mention it in case you go for the Breville thinking the other two parts might be useful.  One other thing, is that a fellow I know who owns a kitchen store told me chances are slim to none that you would ever get s replacement part for a KA should something break.  I found that out with my mini KA food processor.  He said Cusinart keeps lots of extra parts.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Dave the Cook said:

What do we think about whisks and dough hooks? Ease of storage? Wattage? Number of speeds? Warranty? Parts availability? Reputation?

Dough hooks for a hand mixer??

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

17 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Dough hooks for a hand mixer??

Oh yeah. They're not as common as whisk attachments, but lots of models come with them: here, here and here, for example. I'm pretty certain that I'd never use them (if I'm making something that requires a dough hook, I'm breaking out the stand mixer), or that whisk, either (if I've picked up the hand mixer, it's because a whisk can't do the job). For sure, I don't want to be paying extra for them. 

• Like 1

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.