• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Hand Mixers

Richard Kilgore

CanadianBakin' - another dumb question: what do you mostly use the dishers for?  To me they look like a bunch of different sized cookie batter scoops.

I'm not CanadianBakin' (but I am Canadian and I do bake!), but I use mine for scooping cookie dough, but also muffin or cupcake batter, and I use the smaller ones for truffles. I also use them for portioning out certain savoury foods, like mashed potatoes.

May - I like to bake cakes the most, sometimes cookies and bread, eventually will get around to pies (as previous couple of attempts have not been successful - too leaky).

Do you have a lot of springform pans? They're a little more difficult to get in Japan, and I don't remember seeing a lot of them in Singapore (though I wasn't looking specifically for them). So if you don't have some already, you might consider getting one or two for cheesecakes or other cakes.

Jasie - thanks for the reminder about the voltage.  Had forgotten about that.  Had an unused waffle maker lying around for years exactly because of that  :angry:  The hand-mixer will have to be something available here then.

Maybe you can use some of your gift money to get a step-up converter?? Then you could get more electric household goods from the US, and actually use them!

From your list, I'd get rid of the peel unless you have extra money to use up, especially since you do mostly cakes and cookies right now.

Since you like doing cakes, have you considered a full-range of cake-decorating supplies? Or at least the ones you don't already have?

Edited to add: I would also add some expensive ingredients to the list, that I wouldn't normally buy myself. Like very good quality chocolates to use for baking, or pearl sugar (so I could finally make Chufi's Sukerbole recipe).

Edited by prasantrin (log)

May - I like to bake cakes the most, sometimes cookies and bread, eventually will get around to pies (as previous couple of attempts have not been successful - too leaky).

Do you have a lot of springform pans? They're a little more difficult to get in Japan, and I don't remember seeing a lot of them in Singapore (though I wasn't looking specifically for them). So if you don't have some already, you might consider getting one or two for cheesecakes or other cakes.

Ah, not true. I've got eight and 10 inch ones--and they weren't hard to find at all. Mine came with the bundt and chiffon inserts too.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

CanadianBakin' - another dumb question: what do you mostly use the dishers for?  To me they look like a bunch of different sized cookie batter scoops.

I'm not CanadianBakin' (but I am Canadian and I do bake!), but I use mine for scooping cookie dough, but also muffin or cupcake batter, and I use the smaller ones for truffles. I also use them for portioning out certain savoury foods, like mashed potatoes.

Thanks prasantrin! I use them for similar things. I'm a bit anal about things being all the same size and I love using the dishers for this purpose. Once you've got them in the house you find many other things besides cookies to use them for. I've also used them for individual meringues and then you just push the center in a bit with a spoon to make a bit of a bowl. You can also use them for dishing fillings into small tart shells.

Another thing I've found useful is a big bag of disposable piping bags. And since you're into cakes you'd definitely use them. Although again, once you've got them you find a million things to pipe through them, savoury and sweet.

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Sweetside - great comments about the silicone rolling pin... I was wondering if it was worthwhile.  I think I might add one to the list.  I was using a Silpat for kneading and rolling my breads a while back... I really liked it.  I've only ever used rolling pins with handles.  Do the non-handled versions take some getting used to?

Instant pen thermometer - if I don't make candy and such, or roasts, what would I use it for?  Is it good for syrups - like for frostings... which I haven't gotten around to, but will soon?  Is a pen one better than one you'd clip to the bowl?  I was looking at some and they looked kind of too long for any of my bowls.

LittleIsland, they do make SilPat rolling pins with handles. I just don't like them as much as non-handled ones and since I already have a maple one with handles, I didn't duplicate it. No handles does take getting used to -- all personal preference. Others seem to like the pins they have, but I didn't have a handle-less pin, tried one of these, and LOVE them. Don't replace something you may already have and like.

As for the pen thermometer -- it is good for anything you need a thermometer for like syrup for buttercreams, or for curds and pastrycreams or bread pudding. Reads accurate in like 5 seconds and goes up to over 500F. Has a very thin probe and is accurate with only a small insertion unlike others that you have to insert like 2 inches. I hate waiting around for an "instant read" one to creep up and stop moving. Plus it's digital. Here's a link: Baker's Catalogue

Dishers are a must if you make anything in single portion sizes.

Happy Shopping!

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

Sweetside - great comments about the silicone rolling pin... I was wondering if it was worthwhile.  I think I might add one to the list.  I was using a Silpat for kneading and rolling my breads a while back... I really liked it.  I've only ever used rolling pins with handles.  Do the non-handled versions take some getting used to?

Instant pen thermometer - if I don't make candy and such, or roasts, what would I use it for?  Is it good for syrups - like for frostings... which I haven't gotten around to, but will soon?  Is a pen one better than one you'd clip to the bowl?  I was looking at some and they looked kind of too long for any of my bowls.

LittleIsland, they do make SilPat rolling pins with handles. I just don't like them as much as non-handled ones and since I already have a maple one with handles, I didn't duplicate it. No handles does take getting used to -- all personal preference. Others seem to like the pins they have, but I didn't have a handle-less pin, tried one of these, and LOVE them. Don't replace something you may already have and like.

As for the pen thermometer -- it is good for anything you need a thermometer for like syrup for buttercreams, or for curds and pastrycreams or bread pudding. Reads accurate in like 5 seconds and goes up to over 500F. Has a very thin probe and is accurate with only a small insertion unlike others that you have to insert like 2 inches. I hate waiting around for an "instant read" one to creep up and stop moving. Plus it's digital. Here's a link: Baker's Catalogue

Dishers are a must if you make anything in single portion sizes.

Happy Shopping!

Thanks for the review on the silpins. I need a new rolling pin desperately and have been looking at the silpins but didn't know if they were a good option. Also good to know about the pen thermometer. Quite expensive but I have about 4 different cheaper ones in my drawer and the only one I find reliable is the old glass and mercury one. My "instant reads" are terrible. I'll have to add that to my list of "wants". :)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

• 5 years later...

I need a place to rant. November of 2008 I bought through Amazon the Cuisinart 9-speed, so top rated by everyone. I have never mistreated it and it has increasingly made weird noises. Well, just now it quit. Over guacamole.

So what did I do? Well, we never discarded our ugly, old...very, very old...antediluvian almost...cracked, 3-speed Sunbeam. Two beaters, no whip. Found it in the back of the cellar. Plugged it in. Works like a charm. I know it's at least 40 years old.

DH says the best plan is to buy a Canadian Tire cheapie and just be prepared to throw it away in a couple of years. No rant, no tears, minimal money lost.

Any more useful, and less cranky, thoughts on the subject?

Thanks. :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I had an old Kitchenaid hand mixer that worked at high speed but low speed not so much and it needed replacing.

I recently bought the Waring Pro WHM100W Professional 10- Speed and it has plenty of low-end torque and whips well at high speeds.

It seems to have a bit more "ooomph" than the others I was able to try at the store. (seeing how rapidly they changed speeds and got to the highest speed - running with no load, of course.

I've used it for whipping egg whites (too small an amount for my 6-qt KA) and for whipping small amounts of cream.

Also used it for blending potato soup where I didn't want to liquify everything.

They do have it at Amazon and it ships to Canada.

Or Waring Canada could help with their store locator.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I recently bought the Waring Pro WHM100W Professional 10- Speed and it has plenty of low-end torque and whips well at high speeds.

Thanks Andie. I found a local store which handles Waring and I shall think on it.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Darienne, I had a Braun Multi-Mix for many, many years, that I just loved. It had a body like a hand mixer, and beaters/whisks you inserted into the body, but was light enough that it wasn't a PITA to use. It also "morphed" into a stick blender and a mini-food processor. I LOVED THAT THING !!!! Just adored it. Sadly, after about 20 years of use, it went to appliance Heaven. Even more sadly, the Braun Multi-Mix is no longer sold in the States. I was DEVASTATED. I even thought about buying it overseas and bringing it into the States, but the electrical configuration wouldn't work. So I was "hand mixer-less" for about 4 or 5 years, and didn't think I missed one.

About a year ago, I was *gifted* (through a contest win on "another website" [Food 52]) a lovely top-of-the-line Viking hand mixer. I didn't think I needed a hand mixer, I have my sacred KA, after all. But the Viking sort of won me over. It's a beast of a machine, way powerful, and really, in terms of creaming butter could put my KA to shame. Great for whipping cream, beating egg whites, light batters, all the things you'd pull out a hand mixer for. It's also sexy, ohhhhh, so sexy to look at. And I have used it a lot more than I thought I would. But....

Downside, it weighs a TON. I know you have hand/arm weakness issues like I do, and after a few minutes, this thing makes me want to plotz. My hands just can't take it. I end up trying to control the bowl I'm mixing in with my stomach, and using both hands to support the mixer. That's really something to take into consideration.

I'd recommend both machines, the Braun Multi-Mix hands down over anything else, if you can get it. Sadly, Braun appears to have blown off the North American market. The Viking is a good unit, but heavy. Caveat emptor.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Thanks Pierogi.

Yet another sad kitchen story. :sad: What to do? :wacko:

I think in the end, I'll simply stick with the ugly cracked old Sunbeam, which doesn't work well, but works. When it dies, I'll revisit the issue. (She shakes her head in sorrow.)

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I bought a Breville hand mixer a couple of months ago and love it. Up to 18 speeds, plenty of torc, and nice and gentle on the low end. It's not cheap though.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Pierogi, the Viking sounds impressive. I don't have a standing mixer and can't really justify it given the limited baking we do, but I've been unhappy with the light-weight cheap hand mixers I've used since I stupidly gave my old workhorse KA to my daughter.

The Viking comes in a manual 5-speed and a digital 9-speed. Which do you have? The lowest price I could find on the 5-speed was $80 with free shipping from Cutlery and More, although I didn't spend a lot of time researching. The 9-speed digital is $99, also w/free ship. Both are described by the manufacturer as light-weight, but I guess that's relative. The pricier model comes in bright red with a black handle. Like hot lingerie. That must be the sexy one, yes?

Edited by Katie Meadow (log)

Pierogi, the Viking sounds impressive. I don't have a standing mixer and can't really justify it given the limited baking we do, but I've been unhappy with the light-weight cheap hand mixers I've used since I stupidly gave my old workhorse KA to my daughter.

The Viking comes in a manual 5-speed and a digital 9-speed. Which do you have? The lowest price I could find on the 5-speed was $80 with free shipping from Cutlery and More, although I didn't spend a lot of time researching. The 9-speed digital is $99, also w/free ship. Both are described by the manufacturer as light-weight, but I guess that's relative. The pricier model comes in bright red with a black handle. Like hot lingerie. That must be the sexy one, yes?

It's the digital 9-speed. Mine is the "chrome", which is actually metallic-colored plastic, but still very spiffy and shiny looking. And the cool, glowing blue speed readout is pretty sweet too. I would say the red is sexier, but I'm not going to look a gift $100 kitchen toy in the mouth !

For *most* people, the weight of the unit probably would not be an issue. Heck, when I was a young whippersnapper, I used to use my Mom's old Kenmore stand mixer, which would detach from the base, as a hand mixer ! (*THAT* was a feature, go figure.....) And that sucker weighed about 20 pounds ! However, now that I'm old and decrepit, it's an issue. FWIW, I have severe rheumatoid arthritis, and my shoulders, elbows, wrists and finger joints are shot and painful. I also have a blown tendon in my left arm, so my hand/arm strength is non-existant. Somedays I have a hard time with a full 5-pound bag of flour. That's really the only reason the Viking is an issue for me.

Other than that, if I didn't have the strength issues, I'd give it a 5-plus star rating. As I said, it's a beast in terms of power, and I really would put it up against my KA for creaming butter. The only thing I think it couldn't do is knead bread, but that's because it doesn't come with dough hooks. I don't think you'd be disappointed in the machine. And I would spend the extra $$$ and get the 9-speed. I think it has more guts, and the price really isn't significantly higher.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

For *most* people, the weight of the unit probably would not be an issue. Heck, when I was a young whippersnapper, I used to use my Mom's old Kenmore stand mixer, which would detach from the base, as a hand mixer ! (*THAT* was a feature, go figure.....) And that sucker weighed about 20 pounds ! However, now that I'm old and decrepit, it's an issue. FWIW, I have severe rheumatoid arthritis, and my shoulders, elbows, wrists and finger joints are shot and painful. I also have a blown tendon in my left arm, so my hand/arm strength is non-existant. Somedays I have a hard time with a full 5-pound bag of flour. That's really the only reason the Viking is an issue for me.

Time to trade us both and the hand mixers in on new models I fear. :raz:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I looked at and tried the various mixers, including the Viking digital 9-speed, and chose the Waring not only because it was cheaper, but it felt better in my hand and I really like having the timer.

The others I tried were Cuisinart, Kenmore, Dualit, Hamilton-Beach and Morphy Richards, which Sears just began carrying at my local store.

I looked at both the 5-speed and 9-speed Vikings and both had gaps where the motor housing meets the front assembly where the handle is anchored, possibly due to being handled by shoppers.

I used the Waring this morning to mix some fairly stiff banana-walnut scone dough and it handled it well on speed 3, with no stalling (a complaint I had with the KA).

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

The Waring Pro WHM 100 10-speed is available at Macy's for $20 right now, not including tax and shipping, which still brings it in at just under $30. Most other sources are currently charging about $39 for it, some with free shipping.

This Waring and the Viking both have a 250 watt motor, for what that's worth.

Just noticed that the chrome 9-speed Viking is on sale for $85 on Amazon, but that does not included free shipping.

Edited by Katie Meadow (log)

The Waring Pro WHM 100 10-speed is available at Macy's for $20 right now, not including tax and shipping, which still brings it in at just under $30. Most other sources are currently charging about $39 for it, some with free shipping.

This Waring and the Viking both have a 250 watt motor, for what that's worth.

Just noticed that the chrome 9-speed Viking is on sale for $85 on Amazon, but that does not included free shipping.

I got my Waring at Sam's Club because I had a gift card. I can't recall the exact price but I bought the mixer and a small item for the $50. gift card and some change. There is no price on the box.

I think for less than $30.00 it would be a great buy.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

Okay, one last question for both Waring and Viking users. I'm left-handed. I want my cord exiting from the driver's side of the machine, or at least from the middle of the back. When faced with right sided cords for hand-held appliances like mixers or irons, I want to hurl the thing out the window. I can't find any details about where the cord is on either of these mixers, so lemme know, since this could be a deal-breaker. Thanks!

Okay, one last question for both Waring and Viking users. I'm left-handed. I want my cord exiting from the driver's side of the machine, or at least from the middle of the back. When faced with right sided cords for hand-held appliances like mixers or irons, I want to hurl the thing out the window. I can't find any details about where the cord is on either of these mixers, so lemme know, since this could be a deal-breaker. Thanks!

Looking at it from the front, the Waring cord is on the left side centered on the motor housing near the rear, the Viking has the retractable feature which puts the cord up next to the handle.

At least with the Waring, a leftie could secure the cord to the back of the unit with duct tape - I've done that with one appliance that was awkward for me to use. (electric carving knife)

So I'm screwed, with both of these mixers having non-adjustable cords on the passenger side. At least the Viking cord is sort of higher up, which might make it somewhat less annoying. Clearly the only reason I bought the newer KA that I now own is because I was suckered in by the clever 3-position swivel cord set-up. But in every other way it is junk. One of the blades fell out during mixing. In addition, the blades are difficult to lock in and the button that unlocks them for removal requires super-human strength. Oh well, maybe I should consider this as part of a campaign to build up my right biceps.

• 2 weeks later...

To follow up: consultation with husband resulted in the purchase of the Viking. I think the manly heft and extra blades did it. Anyway, I couldn't be happier. It purrs and feels like a tool instead of a toy. Sprang for the red one. The retractable/adjustable cord is super convenient, and the position of it is not as annoying as I feared. Never did get up close and personal to the Waring, but it's got to be a great deal for the price.

• 1 year later...

Any one know of an exceptional quality hand mixer for a professional kitchen without breaking the bank? 200-350 dollar range.

I have been looking at dynamic and bamix but dont know anything about that brand.