• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Hand Mixers

Richard Kilgore

I was sure this had come up before, but a search turned up little. So, what are the best hand mixers? Which ones have dough hooks and are they really useful?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Richard Kilgore (log)

I've had a Krups hand mixer for years that I like a lot. It came with an extra set of spiral shaped beaters that I think are supposed to be for dough, but they're pretty useless. If you're going to do dough in a mixer, you need a stand mixer

We have the current Kitchenaid hand mixer, but use it very rarely--on high speed it is barely possible to make a proper italian meringue buttercream. They're not useful at all in comparison to, say, a 5 Qt. Kitchenaid stand mixer, and have zero use when it comes to dough.

If you plan to explore baking at all, you should probably just skip ahead, put the $50 or however many bucks a hand mixer would cost, toward the Kitchenaid stand mixer--the good 5 quart model is available from Costco for like $249.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

Actually the only thing I use my hand mixer for these days is occasionally whipping cream and egg whites, which I have a tendency to overbeat in my stand mixer and I sometimes need in small quantities that are awkward to make in the Kitchenaid. Otherwise, everything goes in the Kitchenaid.

Rickster--very true. One other thing--as one gets more into this baking stuff, buying an extra stainless steel bowl for your Kitchenaid really helps, especially when whipping and folding things together. So in your opinion--which would be money better spent if you already have a K-aid: a second bowl OR a hand mixer? The cost is about the same.

I think I lean toward buying a second bowl.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

I have a stand Kitchenaide mixer (with two bowls and whisks) that I use a LOT at home, but I also have a Krups (probably the same as rickster has) that I find really useful for very small amounts and quick jobs. I got it at a garage sale with the dough spiral thingies and a stand it locks into - I agree that these parts are useless. However, I find the shape of the regular beaters seems to beat cream very quickly and incorporate more air than most hand mixers.

I've also found a second KitchenAid bowl to be very useful. You can get them on eBay all the time; just make sure you get the right size for the mixer.

I also use my seven-speed KitchenAid hand mixer for jobs that are too small for its big sibling. If you can find one at a big discount I'd recommend it.

$250 sounds like a really good deal.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I think I lean toward buying a second bowl.

When I bought my Kitchenaid there was some kind of promo that threw in an extra bowl free.

I have blessed my luck many times.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Hmm...gee I don't know. My Kitchen Aid (purchased in 1988) is at a friend's house right now and I've been using an old hand mixer. I kind of like it. Just made banana bread and it worked very well. It seemed faster to me and I had more control incorporating the ingredients. I agree with nightscotsman. For small jobs a hand mixer is great. I think it mixes better than the stand mixer. But God no, I would never use it for Italian Meringue.

I don't have a second bowl for my stand mixer because when making something like a jelly roll cake, I prefer beating my whites while the yolks and sugar are still being whipped in the stand mixer. I prefer the two machines going at the same time.

So, I'd opt for the stand mixer and a hand mixer, over the two bowls with the stand mixer. Ideally two stand mixers would be my choice.

Okay, I got the message. I'll save my pennies. Costco is a real deal at $250 for the 350 watt mixer!

You also might want to get one of those 20% off coupons from Bed, Bath and Beyond too. BB&B honors that coupon on all items (even the ones that are printed as exempt from the off at the bottom). They also take expired coupons too!

Good luck! I love my Kitchenaid!

Think before you drink.......I think I'll have another!

BB&B honors that coupon on all items (even the ones that are printed as exempt from the off at the bottom).

Don't count on it. My local store is very strict about the exemptions, as I discovered about a month ago.

Richard, you're right they don't carry the 350 watt model. They do have the 5qt 325 watt and the 6qt 525 watt model.

Rickster, that really blows that the store by you doesn't offer the extra 'deal'. I'm in Austin and never had a problem.

Cheers!

Think before you drink.......I think I'll have another!

I will tell you what I don't like. I have a Cuisinart hand mixer that I never use. The low setting is too fast. I agree with getting an extra bowl for the 5 qt. The 5qt model has a more cone shaped bowl that will allow you to make smaller batches. Ever since I got my KitchenAid, I really never use the hand mixer anyways.

Debra Diller

"Sweet dreams are made of this" - Eurithmics

• 1 month later...

Alrightie then! I've got two mixer threads going at one time. I was recently at Costco, looking at the KA stand mixer, and I saw a Hamilton Beach, 62005, 10 speed hand mixer with attachments and case. What's Hamilton Beach like these days? I just burned out my mother's Farberware mixer that she's had for over 30 years. :sad: My mixer (whatever it is) is on it's last legs, and I should buy one too. Dang. I don't remember the cost of the HB, but I think it was around $25...? Eh? Feh? Yeh?

• 5 months later...

I have a hand mixer, because my mother had one. In fact, my hand mixer may have been my mother's.

What I have that she did NOT have is a stand mixer. Soon after acquiring my KitchenAid I found that I was pulling out the hand mixer only at the holidays to mash the potatoes. Then I learned that a hand mixer is a terrible tool for mashing potatoes (even though my mother did it :wub: ), and the hand mixer has not seen the light of day for a couple of years.

Can I throw it out? Does anyone use theirs? Is it only of use for those (I feel for them!) who do not have a stand mixer?

I only recently aquired a stand mixer (and immediately fell in love). However, I still use my hand mixer for a few things like mixing pancake batter and sometimes making Ceasar Salad dressing. :smile:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

My hand mixer also gets used for whipping cream

Yes. I made strawberry shortcake yesterday, and as the KA bowl was occupied by rising focaccia dough, I was happy to haul out the hand mixer.

Please, don't toss it! The day you do, you'll need it.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

A hand mixer is fairly useless but a hand BLENDER is another animal entirely, and a very useful tool.

Braun Hand Blender/Chopper at Amazon

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

A hand mixer is fairly useless but a hand BLENDER is another animal entirely, and a very useful tool.

Braun Hand Blender/Chopper at Amazon

Well yes. I have both. I love my Bamix hand blender, but my hand mixer is just right for some things. :raz:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.