• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Hand Mixers

Richard Kilgore

Thanks for the feedback, folks. Andiesenji ... I found the Oreck last night ... it might be worth a try, certainly Oreck vacuums are good ones. And the Winnipeg branch of Oreck Canada will ship to me free. My only reluctance with a Sunbeam style stand mixer that can be used off the stand is the weight ... darn ... I sent one to the SallyAnn a few years ago! susan

I heard about the Oreck on a local cable channel (Antelope Valley) when a chef from a local restaurant was using one to mix quick bread batter, mashing chunks of bananas into the batter with the mixer. I have arthritis in my hands and the regular type put too much stress on my wrist - he noted how easy this was to hold so I ordered one. I figured I could send it back if it didn't work. I have a couple of Oreck vacuums and we have one at the office and I know, from experience, that their guarantee is good.

The wattage on this one is much lower than other hand-held mixers. I believe it is because of the way the power is transferred to the beaters.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 3 months later...

I've been asked to choose a farewell gift from work so I've asked for a hand mixer since my beloved Kenwood Chef won't beat 4 egg yolks...

I've read that the KitchenAid 9-speed hand mixer was rated the best by Cook's Illustrated. What do you all think, would this be the one to buy?

And, if the budget is about $200 or so, what else should be on my wish list? Nice-to-have baking toys that I wouldn't necessarily fork out for, myself? :laugh: What would YOU wish for? C'mon, I need ideas!

cheap & cheerful Braun multimix. Beats, purees, whisks, is easy to clean & store.

Extras? A selection of micro graters if you don't already have them

I second the Braun muli-mix which I believe was rated 3rd in Fine Living's testing, with Kitchen Aid at the top. I owned a Braun for years and when it finally died (I used it a LOT) I bought the Kitchen Aid and I can't say I'm that impressed. First, I don't need that many speeds. The Braun has 3 and that's enough for me. The biggest drawback is the quality of the whisks on the KA. They bend quite easily and once bent slightly off it's really hard to get them aligned again. Mine are always "clacking". You won't be disappointed with the Braun.

The micro graters are an excellent suggestion as well. Something else I use all the time is a selection of dishers. 1 oz up to 4 or 5 oz are very useful.

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I like the KitchenAid 9 speed mixer very much, but I've never used another and have no means of comparison.

Of all the kitchen gear I've purchased over the years, the microplane is my favorite. I have the original, but would be thrilled to receive some of the others with different size grates.

A stick blender is another idea.

Ilene

I got a Hamilton Beach for Christmas a few years ago. I love it because it's got a snap-on storage case that holds the beaters (two sets, plus a whisk) and the cord. To be honest with you, I've only used it about 4 times but the storage case makes it a keeper in my house.

Oh, I just looked at it and it has a sticker on it that claims to have received the "4 Forks Award" from epicurious.com. "#1 Mixer" it proclaims proudly. :raz: Not bad.

Something else I use all the time is a selection of dishers. 1 oz up to 4 or 5 oz are very useful.

Sorry about the dumb question, but what are these?

I am thinking "pinch bowls" small bowls in which to assemble ingredients for mise en place.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I had a Cuisinart for several years till the thing caught fire in my hands, that was fun. I picked up a 5-speed KA after that incident and that thing performed well, but tended to bind up on things I knew I should have tossed in the stand mixer.

This past Christmas, I was given a Dualit 5-speed and I love it! It has a lot of torque compared to other hand mixers. It can do on setting "1" what some can barely do when cranked up to the max. The price is higher compared to some other brands, but well worth it.

Gear nerd and hash slinger

Something else I use all the time is a selection of dishers. 1 oz up to 4 or 5 oz are very useful.

I am thinking "pinch bowls" small bowls in which to assemble ingredients for mise en place.

Good guess, but not quite. Sorry I guess I should have put a better description. Here's a picture of dishers.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I'd look at the one King Arthur is selling, although I think that might be the model that someone above had beater problems with.

I'm on my second Cuisinart, the chrome one. I don't have a stand mixer, so I use it for everything. I have a large mixing bowl, so it works pretty well. The first one died in the middle of a big thick gob of dough, I was pushing the envelope. I think I got ten years out of it. I have to admit, I like the shiny chrome, I'm a magpie.

I lust for a set of All Clad strainers. I think there's three or maybe four, they're 99 bucks. Ridiculous if you are buying them for yourself but they make a dandy gift. Incredible craftmanship, like all All Clad products.

Another nice thing for $200 is a 5 1/2 quart LeCreuset dutch oven, but that's not a baking toy.

If you're a pie person, a solid maple rolling pin sets a body back about 45 bucks and can't be beat.

I have a Salter scale I got from King Arthur that is just tops, sets you back about 70.

Ditto for an instant read pen thermometer (also from King Arthur, also about 70 bucks).

You have nice coworkers.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

Good guess, but not quite. Sorry I guess I should have put a better description. Here's a picture of dishers.

WOW - I have never seen them called "dishers" - thanks for the enlightenment.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Ah, not to be gauche, but you're in Singapore like me, right LittleIsland? There's a difference between 200SGD and 200USD.

Yep milady, I meant 200USD, I do have nice co-workers, it's a farewell gift as I'm taking a few years hiatus from the corporate world. So many more interesting baking toys in the US than there are here, I guess our market is too small. I love shopping online.

I have a set of digital scales - and wonder how I ever lived without them.

I was thinking about that brownie pan that makes all edges (from the KA flour site)- but I don't make brownies THAT often so something for more generic use would be better. Keep the suggestions coming!!

Remember that the voltage etc in Singapore is different from the US too.. so many things I wanna schlep back home from the US/Canada a few yrs ago but couldn't because of voltage differences (my flat hair iron was sizzling!) :(

Hmm. ideas for things other than mixers

Silicone Pinch Bowls ?

Cute bundt pans/cake molds?

Ah, not to be gauche, but you're in Singapore like me, right LittleIsland? There's a difference between 200SGD and 200USD.

Yep milady, I meant 200USD, I do have nice co-workers, it's a farewell gift as I'm taking a few years hiatus from the corporate world. So many more interesting baking toys in the US than there are here, I guess our market is too small. I love shopping online.

Lucky lucky girl!

Maybe it'll help if you tell us what exactly do you do make most often?

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

If you're a pie person, a solid maple rolling pin sets a body back about 45 bucks and can't be beat.

Ditto for an instant read pen thermometer (also from King Arthur, also about 70 bucks).

You have nice coworkers.

On the rolling pin, I bought a SilPin -- silicone rolling pin (actually I have two now, French and bakers) -- and won't go back to wood. If I had marble, that may be different, but the silpin sticks to nothing. Love it.

And as for that pen thermometer -- besides a scale, it is THE thing I love best. Hands down. No waiting.

Also love my 5 wheel adjustable pastry cutter. And my full set of tartlet tins. And my Cuisinart 12C food processor (my going away gift).

Love my assortment of microplane graters too.

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

Would love to know what makes a Silpin good. I have a Silpat and I don't use it anymore, not since I learned to love a pastry cloth.

I have a marble rolling pin and I don't like it -- it's too heavy, makes my back hurt.

What is a "complete set" of tart tins? How many sizes? How many of each size?

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

Would love to know what makes a Silpin good.  I have a Silpat and I don't use it anymore, not since I learned to love a pastry cloth.

I have a marble rolling pin and I don't like it -- it's too heavy, makes my back hurt.

What is a "complete set" of tart tins?  How many sizes?  How many of each size?

I like my pastry cloth better than rolling on a silpat. But, with a wood pin, ya know how ya have to flour it and little bits of dough sometimes stick to it? Then you have to get them off or they continue to cause trouble? Nothing. I roll pastry, I roll fondant (other thread, yeah, I know), I roll cookies. Nothing has stuck to it. Then, you just run it under water and clean as a whistle. Not heavy either. They come with handles, straight bakers pin (no handles) and tapered French pin. All colors.

And, my "complete set" of tartlet tins is 72 tins, 12 shapes, 6 of each, about 1 1/2" in diameter. Square, diamond, round, barquette, heart, some fluted, some straight sided. Like having them for making little nibbles for parties. You can fill them with anything....

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

CanadianBakin' - another dumb question: what do you mostly use the dishers for? To me they look like a bunch of different sized cookie batter scoops.

May - I like to bake cakes the most, sometimes cookies and bread, eventually will get around to pies (as previous couple of attempts have not been successful - too leaky).

Jasie - thanks for the reminder about the voltage. Had forgotten about that. Had an unused waffle maker lying around for years exactly because of that :angry: The hand-mixer will have to be something available here then. Need to check out the Braun. I like the cute coloured pinch bowls but realistically would not use them as I weigh all dry ingredients into the same bowl - gotta love the tare function!

Sweetside - great comments about the silicone rolling pin... I was wondering if it was worthwhile. I think I might add one to the list. I was using a Silpat for kneading and rolling my breads a while back... I really liked it. I've only ever used rolling pins with handles. Do the non-handled versions take some getting used to?

Instant pen thermometer - if I don't make candy and such, or roasts, what would I use it for? Is it good for syrups - like for frostings... which I haven't gotten around to, but will soon? Is a pen one better than one you'd clip to the bowl? I was looking at some and they looked kind of too long for any of my bowls.

OK just for fun, here's my shopping list so far... probably gone beyond budget by now :biggrin: Let me know if ya'll think any of it is a waste of time.

Wonder cup

http://shop.bakerscatalogue.com/detail.jsp...v=1152172739193

Small liquid measure

http://shop.bakerscatalogue.com/detail.jsp...v=1152172739193

Mix-n-Measure Liquid Measuring Cup

http://shop.bakerscatalogue.com/detail.jsp...v=1152173027584

Mini Dough Whisk

http://shop.bakerscatalogue.com/detail.jsp...v=1152173501638

Full-Size Classic Tube Pan

http://shop.bakerscatalogue.com/detail.jsp...v=1152174354201

Baker's Peel - Large

http://shop.bakerscatalogue.com/detail.jsp...v=1152174968929

Didn't find anything too lustable (?!) at Williams-Sonoma although it was very enjoyable screen-shopping. What other fave shopping sites do you have?

What other fave shopping sites do you have?

I like..

http://www.surlatable.com

Sur La Table

http://www.deandeluca.com

Dean and Deluca

http://www.everythingkitchens.com

Everything Kitchens- I think this site is kinda messy though

And there's a big list on Food 411 ( http://www.food411.com/index.php ) with sections on

General Resouces ( http://www.food411.com/general_food_resources.php ) and

Kitchenware ( http://www.food411.com/cooking_tools.php )

Hope this is useful!

-Jas