• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Inexplicable/strange cravings

fifi

FISHSTICKS!

I don't like fishsticks. I just finished off the eighth one. I am so ashamed.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Singapore... Is that an incredibly strange craving? Meaning you never eat it, probably don't like it but are suddenly struck with a ravenous craving... out of no where?

Hash browns with country ham sounds like a particularly tasty food group to me. :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

i don't know how "incredibly strange" this is, but i was feeling iron-depleted last night. i needed raw beef.

i ended up having venison tartare, which was awesome. :wub: and not something i eat daily... :laugh:

edit: fixed spelling.

Edited by gus_tatory (log)

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

FISHSTICKS!

I don't like fishsticks. I just finished off the eighth one. I am so ashamed.

Hm.

I did that once.

/shudder

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Singapore... Is that an incredibly strange craving? Meaning you never eat it, probably don't like it but are suddenly struck with a ravenous craving... out of no where?

Whups, pardon me, Fifi. I forgot to mention that my normal everyday diet is Chinese in nature. While I may yawn at shark fin soup, dim sum, and peking duck, western foods such as hash browns are pure exotica to me. :smile:

Be polite with dragons, for thou art crunchy and goeth down well with ketchup....

I've been craving fried frog legs for the past week. Haven't had them since I was a kid. I also get cravings for canned--not fresh--peas sometimes. And queso from a restaurant about 25 miles from where I live--and I actually make the trip!

SML

"When I grow up, I'm going to Bovine University!" --Ralph Wiggum

"I don't support the black arts: magic, fortune telling and oriental cookery." --Flanders

Froglegs, huh? That is pretty strange.

I think this might belong here... When I was in high school I was a latchkey kid. Mom would leave some money for me in case I had to go to the grocery. It was my job to start dinner. Nothing in the fridge or freezer appealed to me so I went to the store. There in the meat case was rabbit. Now THAT was unusual. I decided that we HAD TO HAVE rabbit. I had not had it in years. I had browned it off and it was on its way to an elegant braise. Dad comes in the door... "Hey kid, have you started dinner yet? I have this strange craving for rabbit." "Uh... It is in the pot." We were known to be somewhat spookily psychic. :blink:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

fifi--That is the best story! I have a similar relationship with my parents in that some nights I'll call them and say, "You've had chili for dinner, right?" They have no semblance of a schedule for dinners and I'm almost always right...weird. Maybe it's my grandfather's spirit urging me towards the frog legs...he always loved them.

SML

"When I grow up, I'm going to Bovine University!" --Ralph Wiggum

"I don't support the black arts: magic, fortune telling and oriental cookery." --Flanders

So... You obviously should give in to your craving in honor of your grandfather. :smile:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Sheesh... I can't believe that corndogs didn't invade Canada. Mea culpa.

I'm still not sure that I know what peameal bacon is. But I sure want some. :biggrin:

Maggie is arranging a shitload of peameal bacon for the new eGullet restaurant. (Shitload is a Canadian term for enough, or close to.) We are backward in these parts and frozen food is only available in most of Canada from November to April.

just what part of canada do you live in. frozen food only from november to april???as if. Where are you exactly on an ice flow or something.

I get cravings for "whopper Junior's with cheese please" God help me but I do. About once a month I"m on the look out for a burger king. My daughter swears that a junior cheese at wendy's is better, but after trying one, whoppper juniors is so much better.

when i was pregnant way back.... i craved yogurt, yogurt and more yogurt, raspberry flavored. I usually cleaned the coffee truck out at work. My son was born allergic to milk. go figure. and then when I was nursing him i must have eaten twenty + apple upside down cakes nuked with vanilla ice-cream. It's a good thing it was late september and the apple tree was full of the stuff. But my other two pregnancies had no such cravings that I could remember.

I live my life by my cravings (hence the fact my freshman 15 was a bit more)... my current thing is roasted potatoes with carmalised onions...I will do this..,.I'll somethign I'm craving several times a week for 2 or 3 weeks, and then not eat it again for months, maybe years....

I have a small obsession with carmalisation....onions, mushrooms, shallots...

Strange..???I like popcorn with a mixture of butter,soy sauce, tapatio hot sauce, the powder from onion soup mix (Ive actually devised a way to sift out the dehydrated onion pieces) and freshly grated parmesan cheese.

oh and burnt pop-tarts

Now fortified with extra Riboflavins!

But I don't think many of these are "incredibly strange". I mean... you LIKE it.

OK, Children. Go back to the first post. You don't necessarily even like it. You don't eat it (or never have). But you get a sudden ravenous craving.

Now that we are recalibrated, carry on. :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

It is mid-February. I, just last night while one of the kids was awake and poking me in the eye with an errant knee, had an unbelievable craving for fresh-off-the-stalk sweet corn, accompanied by a fresh-off-the-vine Brandywine. Perhaps accompanied by by BACON. I had bacon this morning. For the remainder, alas and alak, it will be a few months. In the meantime, perchance to dream...

Edited by snowangel (log)
Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

My hot and sour soup monster's been raising it's head for about a week. I can see China Buffet in my future. Like tomorrow for lunch.

And my particular Nogales-style machaca. A tin of Argentinian corned beef,frizzled in a cast iron pan with onion shreds and some hot chile vinegar. When good and crispy, crumble some good queso fresco and stick it all in a fresh hot corn tortilla, the homemade blistery fat ones! :rolleyes: Heaven!!

Edit to add, my canines are nearly dripping on the keys. Have mercy!

Edited by Mabelline (log)

Ah okay...stuff I normally never eat but just had to have...

Pumpkin seeds! They make my jaw hurt, but I just had to have some a few weeks ago..and not the crappy David's kind...I wanted to but an actual pumpkin, go through the trouble of scoopingout the guts and roasting them so they have that taste...and I was dying for it! But I couldnt find a pumpkin anywhere! So, I ate the david's and but it wasn't the same....

Now fortified with extra Riboflavins!

Okay, today, I had a bonifide, fifi-approved, harelip all the cows in Texas craving. I was given a new med today, and no sooner did I get it down, I HAD to have a Cream Soda. But I normally don't drink sodas, and this was bad enough that I ended up at the healthy-food store with 3 cream sodas & 2 gingerales. And they are gone. And I feel like fish are swimming around in a creme soda sea. Burp. Can truthfully say I will not need a fix of those for awhile. Where's the green-faced emoticon?

Yep, Mabelline... that is a classic. Cream soda??? WTF??? That is the sickly sweet stuff that I remember from my extreme youth. Was the car radio on? Remember my subliminal message theory on the corndogs up-thread?

*cue TWZ music*

Uh... Uh Oh... I want a Yoo Hoo. And I don't drink sweet sodas, either.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"