• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Inexplicable/strange cravings

fifi

... I had cravings for  Hostess Cupcakes. My car would drive itself into the grocery store parking lot every day after work. I would eat the 2-pack ( sometimes two 2-packs) between the store and home ( a 2 minute drive ), and throw the wrapper in the back seat of my VW Bug. 

That was 23 years ago.....

sigh...and I still love those cupcakes.

I, too, am a Hostess Cupcake junkie -- BUT not the Chocolate, not the Orange, but the Baseball version, only available during the season. White cake, same white filling, white icing and red squiggles to look like the laces on a baseball. Tastes like the wedding cakes from my childhood. Now I've got to run to the convenience store to see if there are any left since it is so late in the season!

I love corndogs as well. Haven't had one in years. But today I had a strange craving: Libby's canned Corned Beef Hash. Out of the can in one cylinder, slice it, throw the slices in a hot pan and let it sizzle away until there is a thick crust on each side. Ate the whole can, save one slice.

I am soooo thirsty right now!

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

heh heh...

I can't believe this came back up.

Let's review the definition of "strange craving"... It has to be a craving for something that you maybe never had, probably don't like that much, and it hits like a bolt from the blue. That would make it strange. :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

• 2 weeks later...
I crave corn dogs too! can't find them in NYC! there has to be some place I don't know about! Can Anyone help?

i found this in my paper catalog - thn in the online one. maybe it will help all the corn dog cravers :laugh:

http://www.lighterside.com/website/store/s...eyword=corn+dog

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Oh. My. God.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

• 4 weeks later...

inspired by the toaster bag thread

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST...T&f=13&t=30747&

i have been craving toasted cheese sandwiches for the last two days. had one for dinner last night and one for breakfast before i went to the hawkwatch. yesterday was my last piece of swiss cheese with some black forest ham on 7 grain bread. today land o'lakes white american on shoprite white and honey mustard.

gotta go - johnnybird just got back from the big birthday dinner in poughkeepsie and we are having homemade vegetable noodle soup - and toasted cheddar sandwiches :raz:

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

At least you are not having corndogs.

I can't believe this thread popped up again.

edit to add: Is this an unusual craving? Like something that you never want to eat?

Edited by fifi (log)

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

At least you are not having corndogs.

I can't believe this thread popped up again.

edit to add: Is this an unusual craving? Like something that you never want to eat?

i was thinking about buying that corndog/fried twinkie machine if we decide to do something for my 50th next year.

i think i've had 2 toasted cheese sandwiches in the last 10 years so this is a certifiable craving. we used to have them all the time when i was a little girl - ususally for sunday dinner with some soup. we had used the machine that made them earlier in the day because it was one of those presses with a plate for pressed sandwiches on one side and a waffle form on the other.

then reading jason & rachel's thread i started remembering - the gooey chesse(usually rat cheese) and the crispy, toasted bread how it smelled, the texture of the unctious cheese and the crunch of the toast - AND HAD TO HAVE ONE. then one wasn't enough. today, after my workout on my way to work i had to stop at home and make one for my lunch - and i had a piece of lasagna, au gratin potatoes, flounder and coleslaw with me for my lunch and dinner. but on my way out of the arsenal all i could taste in my head was grilled cheese and had to have one.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Yep... that is ceritfiably strange. :biggrin:

Damn... Now I want one.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

I don't know about suzilightning, but my dad used to call that generic orange hunk of cheese in the grocery store, possibly posing as a cheddar(?), "rat cheese".

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Er... rat cheese?

my grandparents used to buy it by the piece off a wheel in dawson's market. it was aa bit sharper than even the 4 year aged cheddar from cabot i've had and it had a unique mouth feel - sort of like aged parm-reg and crystaline - don't have the words right now to explain it.

plus we used it with peanut butter to bait the traps for the mice.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday in the grocery I HAD to have grapefruit juice. What the???

I never drink the stuff. Is there some vitamin deficiency I don't know about that makes one crave grapefruit?

Sure hit the spot when I dropped the groceries on the floor of the kitchen and chugged a glass though. Good stuff.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

Yes, in Canada they are called Pogos. Funny thing... I had a party a couple of weekends ago, and a girlfriend of mine brought a box of Pogos. I thought it was the weirdest thing, since I haven't eaten them in years. We didn't end up making them, I think they're still sitting in my freezer. Hmm... perhaps they ARE sending out subliminal messages. :blink:

Yesterday in the grocery I HAD to have grapefruit juice.  What the???

I never drink the stuff.  Is there some vitamin deficiency I don't know about that makes one crave grapefruit?

Sure hit the spot when I dropped the groceries on the floor of the kitchen and chugged a glass though.  Good stuff.

Caveat being that I do like grapefruit juice, sometimes late at night (2:00 or so) I will get an intense craving for copious amounts of icy, grapefruit juice (nothing else will do)-and I have to gulp down 2 large glasses... (haven't correlated it to anything--but truly, it is one of the strongest cravings I get). I didn't think of it until I saw your post though...but I had the same feeling you did; is there some vitamin deficiency driving this?

My strange craving recently though (came out of the blue, with no obvious promptings) has been for clams--fried or stuffed and baked. I grew up in New England but have lived out west for over a decade. So, it is true that I don't get clams much out here. This craving started in the summer and has percolated in me since. I made a spontaneous, and inevitably, ill-advised attempt to silence this need by ordering fried clams on the Santa Cruz Pier in Augusts and was rewarded with greasy rubberbands enrobed in a thick tasteless batter... I'm going back East during the holidays and clams are at the top of my list!

Noticed I shared company w/some other people craving fried clams earlier in the post.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I go through cravings for clams every month. I will also crave shrimp cocktail(the old fashioned kind). Some days I have to go and find crab.

I have days when I need Korean food. Some days I MUST eat Chinese food.I also have days where it has to be Thai.

I have never eaten (or craved a corn dog). I can';t stand the smell-plus hotdogs do nothing for me (though I like real sausage).

Every once in a while, if I stay out really late, I absolutely crave a glass of really cold milk. I crave it so much, that I actually get cranky and start snapping at anything anyone says to me.

Friend: "Hey, should we catch a cab down on U St.?"

Me: "Don't you 'cab' me, jerk!"

Makes absolutely no sense.

perhaps more annoying or weird is getting the craving, eating whatever it is, and having it be really disappointing. :angry:

i was craving BBQ pork buns (char siu bao) for two weeks, and when i had one it was gummy and bland. :blink:

it was like i had built up some image of the perfect bbq pork bun, and it was all downhill from there. this also happened to me with pho (viet tonkinese soup).

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

I love corndogs as well.  Haven't had one in years.  But today I had a strange craving: Libby's canned Corned Beef Hash.  Out of the can in one cylinder, slice it, throw the slices in a hot pan and let it sizzle away until there is a thick crust on each side.  Ate the whole can, save one slice.

I am soooo thirsty right now!

I crave this once in a while too! My mom used to make it for us as a "treat" for breakfast on the weekends. Mmmmm, corned beef hash rounds...

Damn. Must... Get... Corned Beef Hash... Must... Get... Corned Beef Hash.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"