• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Inexplicable/strange cravings

fifi

That's a good choice.

I'm a Peanut Buster Parfait man, myself.

When the lovely Mrs Clothier was pregnant with #1, she got a craving for unfrosted brown sugar cinnamon pop-tarts.

Did you know if you ask the people at Kellogs nicely, they will sell you a case?

Ah... But are these cravings incredibly strange.

(Why do I have to keep asking this question?)

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I also look at strange food cravings as a sign the body needs something from the (craved) food. A mineral. A vitamin. An enzyme. But...corn dogs are basically Three Mile Island and a Coronary On A Stick... :biggrin: so I am unsure what the system would get outta eating one! I crave Cheese Doodles sometimes. Covered in their powdery, muppet-orange, Cheezy-dyed glory. That makes no sense to me...but once in a while I gotta have 'em.

i am reading the comics section of the paper this morning and did a spit take.

stephan pastis in his strip Pearls Before Swine has explained the meaning of corndogs here:

http://www.unitedmedia.com/comics/pearls/

if you are viewing any day other than sunday 7 march go to the comic for that day

perhaps he's a lurker?

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Fifi sent me over from the breakfast thread to report that last night, after not having had or thought about them for oh, at least 15 years, I had a sudden and intense craving for brown-sugar cinnamon Pop-Tarts.

I wasn't even sure they still made them, but I tracked some down at Safeway and had two (toasted and buttered) for breakfast this morning! Hit the spot.

Cheers,

Squeat

i am reading the comics section of the paper this morning and did a spit take.

stephan pastis in his strip Pearls Before Swine has explained the meaning of corndogs here:

http://www.unitedmedia.com/comics/pearls/

if you are viewing any day other than sunday 7 march go to the comic for that day

perhaps he's a lurker?

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Now THAT is passingly strange. :wacko:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Last week's strange craving was braunschweiger. I don't have an aversion to liver, but I've never ever bought liver sausage. I was trying to decide what kind of olives to buy when I suddenly wanted some braunschweiger. Fortunately, the grocery store had Usinger's. I ate some completely on its own as soon as I got home.

Last week's strange craving was braunschweiger. I don't have an aversion to liver, but I've never ever bought liver sausage. I was trying to decide what kind of olives to buy when I suddenly wanted some braunschweiger. Fortunately, the grocery store had Usinger's. I ate some completely on its own as soon as I got home.

Braunschweiger strange? nah. But then I'm from Cincinnati and I'm german. (With onions on rye please! Big dark beer on the side). :biggrin:

I get the strangest craving for lemons with salt on them. I also get that weird cornedbeef craving now and then; it must be a sodium thing.

--therese

Many parts of a pine tree are edible.

fresco, I think that in Canada corn dogs are called "pogos".

I think. :unsure:

yes, in Canada corndogs are called "Pogos", after a brand name of the leading manufacturer.

fifi: you may be delighted/alarmed to learn that there's a National Corndog Day, March 20th... :blink:

March is also National Frozen Foods Month. No better way to celebrate both than by going to the supermarket and picking up a dozen frozen dogs.

I'm still a little disturbed that no one thinks cottage cheese with olives and pineapple chunks is strange. Do people really eat that normally?

Gourmet Anarchy

Hmmm... I must have missed the cottage cheese with olives and pineapple. That is certainly strange but not incredibly strange if it is eaten all the time or at least frequently. I go through phases where I can't wait to get home and fix my next batch of jalapenos stuffed with tuna and sharp cheddar. That is not an incredibly strange craving. (Now that I think about it, that may be a bad example. the stuffed jalapenos actually taste good. :raz:)

For instance, the braunschweiger attack qualifies, simply because the attackee never eats it.

The very fact that there is a National Corndog Day is truly frightening. And if the National Frozen Foods Month even mentions fishsticks, I am going to run screaming into the night.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Hmmm... I must have missed the cottage cheese with olives and pineapple. That is certainly strange but not incredibly strange if it is eaten all the time or at least frequently. I go through phases where I can't wait to get home and fix my next batch of jalapenos stuffed with tuna and sharp cheddar. That is not an incredibly strange craving. (Now that I think about it, that may be a bad example. the stuffed jalapenos actually taste good. :raz:)

For instance, the braunschweiger attack qualifies, simply because the attackee never eats it.

The very fact that there is a National Corndog Day is truly frightening. And if the National Frozen Foods Month even mentions fishsticks, I am going to run screaming into the night.

Whew. I was a bit worried there. No, the very thought of cottage cheese usually makes me sick . But maybe once a year or two, I get a craving for it, usually w/pineapple. This time olives were also involoved. I'd never had that combo before. The really weird thing is that halfway through eating it, the cottage cheese is gross feeling comes over me again. But I have to indulge or I just don't feel right.

I did think that my best friend's combo of apple butter and cottage cheese was strange, but she ate it all the time and loved it *shudder*

Gourmet Anarchy

Can't say I have ever had a craving as strong as fifi's, but every few years have got to go back to New England for soft shell clams.

Although technically found to the mid-Atlantic region, have only found the clams on the menu in New England.

Fried or steamed is the problem, which to choose, which to choose?

There are a zillion (OK, I exaggerate a bit) clam shacks throughout New England, and almost all are great.

If you are ever in Boston can always try the Union Oyster House (has been there since colonial days, Daniel Webster was a regular). Maybe not the best fried clams in New England (people will argue for years whose are), but they put out a fine product and the place is worth a visit.

Would have mentioned Sabrett hot dogs but those I can get in Costco.

my local pathmark has oscar mayer corndogs for 2.24 - half off :laugh:

they also are selling fisher boy fishsticks

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

JennotJenn:  I'm still a little disturbed that no one thinks cottage cheese with olives and pineapple chunks is strange. Do people really eat that normally?

[The pineapple and cottage cheese is pretty normal, you can buy it that way ready-mixed. My mother depended on cottage cheese as a source of protein for managing diabetes, and routinely added pineapple so she could do a protein AND a fruit exchange in one, if she didn't buy the premixed (frankly a bit overpriced). And they have peach, and strawberry nowadays.

The OLIVES, though.....I will grant you that is weird. Although I suppose the brine and the sharpness contrasts with the sweet....what kind of olive? the pimento stuffed small green kind or some "olive bar" sort? Do you avoid olives usually? Perhaps you qualify, we need more details.

edited to fix quote source

Edited by klc14 (log)

JennotJenn:  I'm still a little disturbed that no one thinks cottage cheese with olives and pineapple chunks is strange. Do people really eat that normally?

[The pineapple and cottage cheese is pretty normal, you can buy it that way ready-mixed. My mother depended on cottage cheese as a source of protein for managing diabetes, and routinely added pineapple so she could do a protein AND a fruit exchange in one, if she didn't buy the premixed (frankly a bit overpriced). And they have peach, and strawberry nowadays.

The OLIVES, though.....I will grant you that is weird. Although I suppose the brine and the sharpness contrasts with the sweet....what kind of olive? the pimento stuffed small green kind or some "olive bar" sort? Do you avoid olives usually? Perhaps you qualify, we need more details.

edited to fix quote source

Pimento-stuffed. And it's not the olives or the pineapple that I think is weird. My mom used to mix pineapple w/cottage cheese all the time when we were growing up (80's diet food!), so I've eaten that before and I know that I don't like it. Besides, it's the cottage cheese itself that is odd. Normally I think it's vile. The mere mention of it makes me shudder. But once or twice a year, I think "I must have cottage cheese" even though I know I'm going to want to be sick halfway through eating it. And yep, I always feel sick once I realize that I'm eating cottage cheese. But I must have it or I can't think about anything else. And it's not like I'm thinking that if I keep trying it I'll like it, or that I even want to try to like it. I hate it and am ok with that. It baffles me. I get plenty of calcium otherwise, so my body's not wanting for that (besides, you'd think I'd have the good sense to crave ice cream).

Gourmet Anarchy

You know, the whole pineapple, olives, cottage cheese combo makes me think about a strange combo I craved once.

I love the foods separately but I've never wanted them together. It was the night before I had major surgery and I requested:

Pasta with meat sauce

Yam casserole: yams, brown and white sugar, pineapple, cinnamon and pecans

Green beans

I especially liked it when the yam ran into the meat sauce. Just thinking about eating those together again is nasty.

SML

"When I grow up, I'm going to Bovine University!" --Ralph Wiggum

"I don't support the black arts: magic, fortune telling and oriental cookery." --Flanders

Okay, JennotJenn, I think that qualifies, something you NEVER eat and can't stand normally. The twice a year cycle....maybe it links up with a planet or something?

Ah yes, cottage cheese the diet food of yore--they used to sell it at lunch counters and in diners with 1 canned peach half and a burger, "the diet plate. "

mcdonald's vanilla milkshake and crispy chicken skin

i can't stomach the milkshakes because they cause gastric distress - BIG TIME :angry: but i want one anyway :blink:

i don't remember the last time i had poultry skin. if i cook with it on a piece of meat it is removed before serving. yesterday was so cold and raw here i stopped and picked up a chicken. since we are going away this weekend i'm trying to use up stuff that is perishable so i stuffed that sucker with a cut up lime and shallots. kosher salt, pepper, thyme and oregano. the skin came out so crispy - i hoovered it all up, wrapping some of the roasted shallot in the skin, too. :shock:

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

aaahhh... It appears that you have joined the afflicted. :laugh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

• 5 weeks later...

Consider me an internet virgin :rolleyes: At age 70 this is my first posting, so bear with me. My craving is soy sauce on my oatmeal. I also often add tofu cubes which have been marinated in soy sauce with ginger and rice vinegar added. Most of my cousins think I'm odd :blink: but it really is good :smile:

CambyRat,

Your first post posted loud and clear. You couldn't have picked a better bunch to begin exploring this marvelous medium. Enjoy yourself and don't be shy. Nice marination for tofu BTW (By The Way)

Johnnyd

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Nestle drumstick sundae cone with dill pickle-flavoured potato chips. I have the drumstick about twice a year, the chips once every 3-5 years and this was the first time together. Definitely strange.

Whew. I was a bit worried there. No, the very thought of cottage cheese usually makes me sick . But maybe once a year or two, I get a craving for it, usually w/pineapple. This time olives were also involoved. I'd never had that combo before. The really weird thing is that halfway through eating it, the cottage cheese is gross feeling comes over me again. But I have to indulge or I just don't feel right.

I did think that my best friend's combo of apple butter and cottage cheese was strange, but she ate it all the time and loved it *shudder*

[i did think that my best friend's combo of apple butter and cottage cheese was strange, but she ate it all the time and loved it *shudder*]

:raz: Come now! Cottage cheese is a universal combiner. Like peanut butter it can be mixed with just about anything and it will most likely be good. Peanut butter sandwiches made with a good Dijon mustard an polish dills are delicious! :raz:

I crave Lea and Perrins Worcestershire so intensely that Ill soak bits of bread in it and eat it with a glass of orange juice which seems to enhance any lurking fishy flavor. I used to smear the bread with butter but found that it interfered with the flavor of the sauce. :wacko:

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks