• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Inexplicable/strange cravings

fifi

I did get corned beef hash. I am nibbling on the last crispy bits out of the frying pan. I haven't had corned beef hash in a very long time.

I am still not sure this rises to the level of weird as the original corn dog episode. (See the original post.)

snowangel... Come on... BACON? That can't be weird. :laugh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

No, bacon is not weird, but incarnated into a bacon, romaine and hummus sandwhich on Acme levain toast might be seen as odd. My winter take on the BLT.

For hash: if you have the Zuni Cafe cookbook, make the mock porchetta. Take the leftovers and make the best hash you will ever make. This is my family's favoriate two meals lately. Somehow it's even sweeter when the leftovers can be made into something equally as good -- if not better -- than the original.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

For hash: if you have the Zuni Cafe cookbook, make the mock porchetta. Take the leftovers and make the best hash you will ever make. This is my family's favoriate two meals lately. Somehow it's even sweeter when the leftovers can be made into something equally as good -- if not better -- than the original.

Great tip, thanks! :smile:

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

• 3 weeks later...

Peppadew sweet piquante peppers- not just the peppers themselves, which are amazing, but the syrupy brine that they are packed in. When I am craving it, I can think of almost nothing else until I get me some. I drink until my insides are aching and blistered, and then I start another round. I'm convinced that it will take a few years off my life, and I'm normally not crazy about any preserved foods, really, especially pickled ones... but every now and then, man, absolutely nothing else will do. I've made martinis with it, even. Sick, disgusting. They were great!

Am I going to Hell now?

i'm always craving cold freshly squeezed orange juice

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

I would say that Elyse's cotton candy craving qualifies. Suzilightning's chicken McNuggets probably qualifies. Orange juice does not. Also, cravings that repeat on a regular basis do not qualify. We are talking WEIRD here, folks. :biggrin:

Just an update... My craving for corn dogs has NOT returned. I went through three cans of corned beef hash before I got past that one. But I don't think that is qualified. After all, my mother used to fix it when I was a kid and it was always a special breakfast treat. I would occasionally get it if it was on the menu at a great breakfast place. I just hadn't thought of it in a while. Not incredibly strange.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Pork rinds are the food of the gods. Definitely not disgusting.

Is this craving incredibly strange?

BTW... If I haven't said so before, welcome to eGullet. Actually, even if I have said it before. :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

sigh

today was chicken mcnuggets - and i haven't been to a mcdonald's in about 25 years. resisted the temptation.

yesterday i scratched this itch and had a 4 piece all white meat serving of chicken mcnuggets. i really wasn't craving them but after 3 hours of running errands the mcd's place was right next to the vet's office where i was picking up some medicine for the allie cat.

they really weren't bad. definitely all white meat, not greasy with a crispy crust that had quite a bit of spice from black pepper. don't think i'll have anymore anytime soon, though but for 1.06 and some quick protein. not bad.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Pork rinds are the food of the gods. Definitely not disgusting.

Is this craving incredibly strange?

BTW... If I haven't said so before, welcome to eGullet. Actually, even if I have said it before. :biggrin:

thank you for the welcome and for confirming my suspicions that i am not the only person on the planet who loves pork rinds :smile:

see mike, they're not gross

n.b. mike, my husband, trims all the fat and grizzle from everything and needs absolutely no variation in texture or flavor in order to qualify it as meat

I might possibly be developing a craving for spam. Will not indulge.

Every so often I have a craving for "fake cheese" -- the kind that uses either Doritos or Kraft macaroni as a delivery system.

In closing: I have never in my life had a corn dog. Thank you.

Ah... A Spam craving! I do that with some frequency. This occurs about twice a year. I don't consider that an incedibly strange craving since I have been exposed to Spam since I was a kid. It is just something that comes up now and again. The corn dogs had no precedent.

Give... In... To... Spam... Craving...

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

• 3 weeks later...
Yesterday in the grocery I HAD to have grapefruit juice. What the???

I never drink the stuff. Is there some vitamin deficiency I don't know about that makes one crave grapefruit?

Sure hit the spot when I dropped the groceries on the floor of the kitchen and chugged a glass though. Good stuff.

make that unsweetened pink grapefruit juice

bought a can and have gone through about half of it by tonight since this am

what the h___? :wacko:

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Has the subliminal evil being that started the corn dog epidemic moved on to grapefruit juice? (Cue Twilight Zone Theme.)

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

:hmmm:

This is entirely possible. I got a gift box of beautiful Ruby Reds from a friend at Christmas, and promptly grabbed the reamer and a bowl to make a nice cold batch of juice. It took me a couple of days to work out the craving, and go back to eating grapefruit halves for breakfast the way I usually do.

Peculiar.

:unsure:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

Has the subliminal evil being that started the corn dog epidemic moved on to grapefruit juice? (Cue Twilight Zone Theme.)

don't know if it helps or not but alton brown just did "guy food" and made corn dogs from scratch....along with sliders. i now know why people put mayo on their burgers(don't agree with it but..)

can i have him for my 50th birthday?

anyway here's the recipe http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/re...6_25894,00.html

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

When I was pregnant, I used to get a rice and soy sauce craving. 11 years later, it hasn't gone away :biggrin: I'll go on a rice and soy sauce binge till my family begs for mercy :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

We go through about a dozen grapefruits a week in the winter months. Plus a lot of grapefruit juice. So, to me, it doesn't qualify as a strange craving.

This week's strange craving for was mandel bread (jewish biscotti). I travelled down to the Lower East Side to pick some up. It was good.

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I kind of feel like Maggie entering with some trepidation into MatthewB's treehouse but curiosity got the better of me: what is a corn dog and why would anyone crave one?

How can you not know what a corn dog is? Do you live under a rock? :laugh:

It is a hot dog coated in a corn meal batter and served on a stick. Go to your local grocery and get a box out of the freezer section. I just bought the Oscar Meyer brand and ate four.

As to why anyone would crave one, I haven't a clue. That is why I started this thread.

Yee-ah, an ignorance of corndogs sounds so preposterous as to be a certain affectation. Heck, folks who live under rocks are the most likely to subsist of a corndog-intensive diet.

Please, Dr. Crane, you're not trying to impress anybody here. You don't have to like them; hell, weenie sausages are one of the few things even I won't eat if starvation isn't an issue. But denying knowledge of them is a sure sign of ludicrous snobbery. Ookie beekie one of us.

Nam Pla moogle; Please no MacDougall! Always with the frugal...

I've had a pineapple juce craving before.

My normal cravings are for something slaty, and usually spicy as well. Especially if I am not feeling well (Either drink induced or genuine).

Recently I just had to have salt and pepper fried squid and prawns. Nothing else would satisfy my salt craving.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

I kind of feel like Maggie entering with some trepidation into MatthewB's treehouse but curiosity got the better of me: what is a corn dog and why would anyone crave one?

How can you not know what a corn dog is? Do you live under a rock? :laugh:

It is a hot dog coated in a corn meal batter and served on a stick. Go to your local grocery and get a box out of the freezer section. I just bought the Oscar Meyer brand and ate four.

As to why anyone would crave one, I haven't a clue. That is why I started this thread.

Yee-ah, an ignorance of corndogs sounds so preposterous as to be a certain affectation. Heck, folks who live under rocks are the most likely to subsist of a corndog-intensive diet.

Please, Dr. Crane, you're not trying to impress anybody here. You don't have to like them; hell, weenie sausages are one of the few things even I won't eat if starvation isn't an issue. But denying knowledge of them is a sure sign of ludicrous snobbery. Ookie beekie one of us.

Um, I didn't know what one was either. But then, we don't get a lot of this stuff in Canada. We have Pogo sticks. Are they close? :blink:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Yee-ah, an ignorance of corndogs sounds so preposterous as to be a certain affectation.

Art is from Canada. They presumably don't have corn dogs there. But what do you eat at the carnival in Canada if you don't have corn dogs? :unsure:

Alton's corn dogs looked fabulous. I might actually try making them this summer for Emma's birthday party.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

We go through about a dozen grapefruits a week in the winter months. Plus a lot of grapefruit juice. So, to me, it doesn't qualify as a strange craving.

but bloviatrix

that's what makes it a craving for me. i never drink fruit juices. if i have fruit i have it in it's whole form. at breakfast time i drink water, tea or coffee(ok- in the summer i will also have the odd coke). this stuff i was craving in the middle of the afternoon, too. :wacko:

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Yesterday in the grocery I HAD to have grapefruit juice.  What the???

I never drink the stuff.  Is there some vitamin deficiency I don't know about that makes one crave grapefruit?

Sure hit the spot when I dropped the groceries on the floor of the kitchen and chugged a glass though.  Good stuff.

make that unsweetened pink grapefruit juice

bought a can and have gone through about half of it by tonight since this am

what the h___? :wacko:

It's OJ for me. If I start craving OJ I know I am getting sick :angry: Otherwise I HATE oj.

Other things I crave on a regular basis:

Oysters on the half shell

natto

sashimi

hot dog with sauerkraut

vanilla latte

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe