• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Inexplicable/strange cravings

fifi

Anchovy and pickled ginger pizza

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Interesting that no one but me has brought up the difference between Corn Dogs and Pronto Pups.

Having had the real thing, deep fried moments before consumption, I could not stoop to a previously fried, frozen and then re-heated so-called Corn Dog.  Just not the same.

What's a Pronto Pup???

I didn't include you in the statistics since you were going to the fair and I assumed you were expecting to eat a corn dog. For purposes of this thread, I was looking for those cravings that are totally unexpected and make absolutely no sense.

I am sure you are right, that the real thing is deep fried as you are standing there. I don't know. I haven't had one at a fair or any other gathering where they are doing that so I have no standards. :laugh: When the craving hit, I had to have a corn dog and the frozen ones were the most accessible. I can't imagine deep frying them at home. Would I contaminate a bunch of frying oil and smell up the house for a corn dog? (Well... I might if I didn't have the frozen ones available, given the rabid craving.)

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Anchovy and pickled ginger pizza

I can't even imagine what that might taste like.

Was this an incredibly strange craving that just popped in your head? Was there any precedence for this horror?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Was this an incredibly strange craving that just popped in your head? Was there any precedence for this horror?

A night of sampling different sake offerings in Nebraska with a Japanese national chemistry researcher and discussing regional "cuisine" in America.

:huh:

:hmmm:

:blink:

:biggrin:

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

We have 3 reports of unexplained cravings for corn dogs: me, bloviatrix's husband, torakris's kids. I am not sure that the frequency requires a full blown eGullet ALERT. (Is there such a thing?) But it is passingly strange.

Cue Twilight Zone music. :laugh:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

That is pretty weird but it sure doesn't beat the anchovy and pickled ginger pizza. (Actually, I don't think that anything ever could.)

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

That is pretty weird but it sure doesn't beat the anchovy and pickled ginger pizza. (Actually, I don't think that anything ever could.)

Great, now I'll have to cave on the craving and let you all know how it was...

Um, how about frozen corn niblets on pepperoni pizza?

I seem to recall something that Kristin mentioned about that somewhere on the Japan forum.

As for me, I get cravings whenever I read about Jin's dinners.

Soba

the Japanese pizza thread:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST...T&f=19&t=19219&

I have never seen pickled ginger on pizza and don't think I want to.................... :blink:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

We have 3 reports of unexplained cravings for corn dogs: me, bloviatrix's husband, torakris's kids. I am not sure that the frequency requires a full blown eGullet ALERT. (Is there such a thing?) But it is passingly strange.

Cue Twilight Zone music. :laugh:

I flipped on the TV last night as background noise while folding laundy. What the hell was on but an "Unwrapped" special about - you guessed it - corn dogs.

Freaky.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I crave corn dogs too! can't find them in NYC! there has to be some place I don't know about! Can Anyone help?

I can't help you there. But I do have to ask if this is an uncommon or completely off-the-wall craving? Do we need to add you to the list of the mysteriously afflicted?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

I crave corn dogs too! can't find them in NYC! there has to be some place I don't know about! Can Anyone help?

I can't help you there. But I do have to ask if this is an uncommon or completely off-the-wall craving? Do we need to add you to the list of the mysteriously afflicted?

Yes Yes, add me to the list...Maybe its fried food thing. Sometimes I crave sour cream and onion potato chips or chili cheese fries. I dont know whats wrong with me. But I', glad I'm not alone!

Let's review the statistics:

This thread has had 524 views. You can't see anymore who is viewing so we don't have any idea how widespread the audience really is.

Let's wait and see what else turns up. Unfortunately, sort of like Schroedinger's cat, the fact that we are now looking at it may change the dynamics of the phenomenon.

Updating the statistics...

We now have, what?, 1120 views on this thread. I am adding ambra to the list. That makes 4.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Thanks, Fresco for finding out exactly what a corn dog is! I was ignorant of it, too. I can say I've heard of them, but never seen them or (luckily) had to eat one.

No offense to your cravings Fifi, but it sounds horrible!

I'm more familiar with the more traditional cravings - chocolate chip cookies. I do remember going through a phase years ago when I craved the previously mentioned chocolate covered pretzels. But, it passed. Haven't even thought of them in years.

How horrible a corndog might be depends on what you think of wieners/hot dogs in general. If you like hot dogs, you will probably find a corndog amusing. Think of a wiener wrapped in cornbread. I don't particularly like hot dogs, that is why this craving was so bizarre.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

• 5 weeks later...

Great. Thanks everyone... Now *I'm* craving corn dogs. They were one of my favorites as a kid, I once ate 12 in one sitting. Haven't had them in a year, so time to get some more.

torakris: Are you sure those were corn dogs, not some pancake-wrapped sausage on a stick? I've seen those before around here. Corn dogs should not be eaten with maple syrup, only with mustard and katsup(if you must)

Edit-added second paragraph

Edited by Myste (log)

I moved from NYC to the Heartland about 30 years ago. Since then I have known the joys of Vernor's, Stroh's, elephant ears, fresh morels, and other indigenous delights. But to this day I have steered clear of corn dogs. (Resistance is futile; the corn dog will be assimilated.) Must resist...must resist....

For a time when I was young I would eat only lamb chops and English muffins. Does that qualify as a strange craving or just a strange kid?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Let's review the statistics:

This thread has had 524 views. You can't see anymore who is viewing so we don't have any idea how widespread the audience really is.

Let's wait and see what else turns up. Unfortunately, sort of like Schroedinger's cat, the fact that we are now looking at it may change the dynamics of the phenomenon.

Updating the statistics...

We now have, what?, 1120 views on this thread. I am adding ambra to the list. That makes 4.

fifi-

i only wnat one from outside the wal-mart in new boston tx.

shoot - i KNEW we should have stopped when we were through there last april. :laugh:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

torakris: Are you sure those were corn dogs, not some pancake-wrapped sausage on a stick? I've seen those before around here. Corn dogs should not be eaten with maple syrup, only with mustard and katsup(if you must)

Yeah I am pretty sure they were the Japanized version of corn dogs, this was the first time I had ever seen them with sryup, they are a common staple in convenience stores where they are normally served with ketchup. I have seen recipes for homemade version using a hot cake mix though............ :blink:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"