• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Inexplicable/strange cravings

fifi

On my way home from the office, I was thinking about what I needed to pick up at the store and what I was going to eat this evening. I was kind of wool-gathering on the subject when "it" popped into my head.

Corn dogs. I have to have corn dogs!

As I drove, the idle thought became a ravenous craving. I bought a box of 12 and just finished number 2.

I NEVER eat corn dogs. Not even at fairs and such. What is this all about? Does this ever happen to you? Did someone put an evil subliminal message on the car radio?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

What is this all about?

Dunno.

Does this ever happen to you?

No. Wait... No.

Did someone put an evil subliminal message on the car radio?

You listen to radio? Yes.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Maybe you are pregnant.

Honey, I am WAY past that!

(Oh... the horror!)

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Did you eat corndogs as a child? Maybe something you heard on the radio triggered a childhood memory and thus a craving. At least that's my psychological (aka bullshit) answer. :smile:

Kelli

Did you eat corndogs as a child?  Maybe something you heard on the radio triggered a childhood memory and thus a craving.  At least that's my psychological (aka bullshit) answer. :smile:

Uuuh... I don't think they were invented yet when I was a child. I never fed them to my kids, either.

elyse... When this happens to you, is it something totally off the wall?

(I am beginning to suspect eGullet. :hmmm: )

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

On my way home from the office, I was thinking about what I needed to pick up at the store and what I was going to eat this evening. I was kind of wool-gathering on the subject when "it" popped into my head.

Corn dogs. I have to have corn dogs!

As I drove, the idle thought became a ravenous craving. I bought a box of 12 and just finished number 2.

I NEVER eat corn dogs. Not even at fairs and such. What is this all about? Does this ever happen to you? Did someone put an evil subliminal message on the car radio?

My hatred for hotdogs is well documented. I make an exception on my once-every-ten-years visit to Wrigley Field or Sox Park.

But then, there are corn dogs! Sigh. When I visit my daughter in LA next week, I intend to indulge at the stand on Santa Monica Beach. ("Hot Dog on a Stick?") I love them.

My scariest craving is for raw ramein noodles. I know that I should reconsider my entire life when I bite open that dime bag of Oriental Soup Mix and toss the flavor packet.

(You can buy boxes of twelve? Where? Actually, don't tell me. Thanks.)

Edited by maggiethecat (log)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Actually, I dislike hotdogs, too. About every 3 or 4 years I do crave a hot dog... somewhat burned, on a toasted bun, with mayo. How sick is that?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

elyse... When this happens to you, is it something totally off the wall?

(I am beginning to suspect eGullet.  :hmmm: )

About the same. Odd things that I have never had a craving for, or never even eaten. Can't think of one at the mo.

Something about summer always brings on the hot dog, and to a lesser extent corndog, cravings. I usually cave and buy a pack of Hebrew Nationals, fire up the grill, and chow down. So good.

I found some servicable vegitarian corndogs (made by Morningstar Farms), that are better for you than the real thing, and almost as good. Almost. Good enough to more than satisfy this girl., and a quick and handy lunch as well.

I lOVE the Morningstar corn dogs. Taste like the real thing

When I was pregnant, in my 5th month I had cravings for Hostess Cupcakes. My car would drive itself into the grocery store parking lot every day after work. I would eat the 2-pack ( sometimes two 2-packs) between the store and home ( a 2 minute drive ), and throw the wrapper in the back seat of my VW Bug.

By the 6th month, I had curbed the craving. My husband likes to tell how one day he opened the door to the car and a pile of Hostess wrappers fell out.( There were only about 30, but he tends to exaggerate....)

That was 23 years ago.....

sigh...and I still love those cupcakes.

When I was a kid I used to have this periodic and strange craving for cocktail party rye bread. We'd buy it at the store and then by that night, I would have eaten the whole loaf(well, they were small little slices!).

I always have weird cravings for no reason and fulfilling the cravings just lead to more cravings. If I just had something salty, then I want something sweet to counter it, then maybe something creamy...etc., etc.

sigh...and I still love those cupcakes.

I had forgotten about those cupcakes. The chocolate were good but I really craved the orange flavored.

Uh oh.

Must... get... orange... cupcakes... Must... get... orange... cupcakes.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Yeah, I have cravings too -- I'll eat something till I'm sick of it. I was on a creme brulee kick for a while, but then when it got so popular that it was on every menu, I didn't like it any more.

I went on a caviar kick one weekend -- it was all I ate (the cheap kind, LOL -- too poor for the good stuff). :angry: Haven't had any since.

Then there's the salt and chocolate cravings for PMS. Whoever invented chocolate covered pretzels should get a medal. :laugh:

Glad to know I am not the only one! :biggrin:

Every couple of years I get these intense cravings for hot dogs or corn dogs, which I normally don't eat, and I can't ignore it.

Luckily corn dogs in Japan (they are called American dogs here by the way :biggrin: ) are the most vile things I have ever tasted and this ahs pretty much curbed my craving for them.

every summer I get cravings for American style cucumbers (those big, fat watery things with huge seeds) even though when I was living in the US I avoided them like the plague. :wink:

and for some reason before every trip I take back to the US I get intense cravings for taco bell and rush into the nearest one as soon as the plane touches down and then I toss it half eaten into the trash because it is sooo bad! :wink:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Next trip back, get the Steak Gorditas. They are really good. I have to have a Taco Bell fix every couple of weeks and these are my current addiction.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

I kind of feel like Maggie entering with some trepidation into MatthewB's treehouse but curiosity got the better of me: what is a corn dog and why would anyone crave one?

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

I kind of feel like Maggie entering with some trepidation into MatthewB's treehouse but curiosity got the better of me: what is a corn dog and why would anyone crave one?

How can you not know what a corn dog is? Do you live under a rock? :laugh:

It is a hot dog coated in a corn meal batter and served on a stick. Go to your local grocery and get a box out of the freezer section. I just bought the Oscar Meyer brand and ate four.

As to why anyone would crave one, I haven't a clue. That is why I started this thread.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Glad you understand my girlish trepidation!

A corn dog is a weiner inpaled on a stick, enrobed in an overcoat of cornmeal mush then deep fried. Preferably, in ancient , rancid oil.

Think: Southern Scotch Egg. They are, as Nero would say, heinous.

And so good.

Edit: fifi beat me to it. Fifi: the man's a Canadian!

Edited by maggiethecat (log)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

How can you not know what a corn dog is? Do you live under a rock? :laugh:

It is a hot dog coated in a corn meal batter and served on a stick. Go to your local grocery and get a box out of the freezer section. I just bought the Oscar Meyer brand and ate four.

As to why anyone would crave one, I haven't a clue. That is why I started this thread.

Not under a rock, but in Canada. How can you not know what peameal bacon is, eh? You live under a bush, eh? :raz:

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

Sheesh... I can't believe that corndogs didn't invade Canada. Mea culpa.

I'm still not sure that I know what peameal bacon is. But I sure want some. :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"