• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Flavored Creme Brulee - How To

Wendy DeBord

how about these more exotic variations?

Kona Mocha Creme Brulee

Thai Creme Brulee

Mango Creme Brulee

Lilikoi Creme Brulee

Hawaiian Vintage Chocolate Creme Brulee

planning to make this Bailey's Creme Brulee myself :wink:

scroll down for fifty more variations!! even Creme Brulee au Parfum Saisonnier (Burnt Cream with Black Truffles) from France .. now that is quite different!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I did a champagne creme brulee (from Roland Mesnier's Dessert University cookbook) recently and it was wonderful - exactly as he describes it. He mascerates green grapes in champagne first and uses those in the recipe (you pour the custard over the grapes) but I just used the sugared grape garnish. There's a thread on it earlier that references the recipe; I think the recipe might be there. It's a stove top brulee, not a baked one; think pastry cream with champagne added.

I am looking for some ideas for creme brulee flavors

I found out the new owner of our restaurant loves small tastings for dessert, so I put a trio of small creme brulees on the new dessert menu and he loved it

I am trying not to repeat flavors to much,

I am looking for some new flavor ideas

I try and have the 3 flavors that i use compliment each other.

below are the flavors I have used allready..

Orange, lemon  lime  strawberry  blueberry  raspberry  peach  coconut  mango coffee  chocolate  toasted almond  rum  ginger  lemongrass  banana  pumpkin

up next week are

Maple, pear and apple cinnamon

thanks for your input.

Maybe thyme?

Maybe thyme?

How about a Scarborough Fair theme? Sage, rosemary and thyme (Parsley might be a bit overboard, no?). Sounds a little gimmicky, but I bet it would be yummy. Maybe with a different name... :wink:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Sweet spice: cardamon, cinnamon, star anise

"Pepper": green pepper, pink pepper, grains of paradise

Mexican: Mexican chocolate (with cinnamon), dulce de leche and, hmm... corn?

Tisane: verbena, mint and, hmm... linden?

Tea: Earl Grey, Lapsang Souchong and, hmm... Keemun?

Flower: rose, lavender, violet

Lavender, clementine, honey

Vanilla, basil, passion fruit (a riff on Montreal resto Brunoise's celebrated vanilla panna cotta with basil syrup and passion fruit pulp; don't know how the basil would take to cooking, though)

Three types of vanilla (e.g. Madagascar, Mexican and Tahitian)

edit:

Eau de vie: mirabelle, prunelle, kirsch

Three types of honey: lavender, thyme, chestnut

persimmon, walnut, sweet spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, clove)

Edited by carswell (log)

I'm afraid I'm pretty boring and pedestrian when it comes to creme brulee flavours. I generally prefer plain ol' vanilla to anything. I don't like the herb-infused creme brulees either, like basil, rosemary, etc.

Here are some ideas, but I admit they're not very creative:

-amaretto, Grand Marnier, dark rum

-caramelized banana, dark chocolate, dark rum

-toasted coconut, macadamia (would this be good? maybe the bits of nuts would ruin the creamy mouthfeel?), pineapple

-ginger, cardamom, cinnamon

-pear, vanilla with a reduced port sauce, blue cheese

Cocoa Nib

Spiced Grape

Plum

gianduja

praline

mango peach

tangerine orange

lemon tyme

peanut butter

port wine

jasmine

ricotta

pinneapple basil

currant

pistachio

white chocolate raspberry

cranberry orange

caramel

orange pomegrante

baked apple

double layered with ganache

rhubarb

cherimoya

brie pecan

honey milk chocolate

banana macadamia nut

espresso

coconut lime

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

I don't like the herb-infused creme brulees either, like basil, rosemary, etc.

Have you ever tried one made with fresh lemon verbena? If not, its haunting flavour might make a convert out of you (I say this as someone who generally prefers his CB flavoured with vanilla).

macadamia (would this be good? maybe the bits of nuts would ruin the creamy mouthfeel?)

The nuts can be ground, used to infuse the cream, then strained out through several layers of cheesecloth, which should be squeezed tightly at the end to eek out the lost drops of nut milk. This leads to the obvious suggestion: a trio of nut-infused crème brûlées (almond, macadamia, pistachio?).

pineapple

Considered this, too, when thinking about a kaffir lime, coconut, pineapple trio. But I wondered if it wouldn't prevent the cream from setting.

Edited by carswell (log)

It appears that I'm getting in under-the-wire with my contribution to the "build" of this topic. Nevertheless....

I have made both lavender- & maple-flavored crème brûlées (as recommended, above), and they deserve to be shortlisted. (Tip: In a food processor, blend sugar with fresh lavender flowers and use that mixture to make the crusts!)

The milk-chocolate-malted is a version I must bake off soon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At the bottom of each ramekin, place bits of dried apricots that have been slowly poached with Sherry & raspberry preserves. Top with a layer of génoise; then fill up with the custard.

Accompany “plain” crème brûlée with prune- & almond-filled risoles. Serve with Moscat de Beaumes de Venise.

Present your crème brûlées in tostada shells that have been lined with sliced peaches & bananas, drizzled with chocolate.

On each service plate, decoratively arrange cubes of cantaloupe & honeydew with kiwis & raspberries. Top with the crème brûlée, spangled with crackly golden caramel.

My other suggestions comprise:

►Crème Fraîche Crème Brûlée!

►Kabocha squash

►A lavender-hued Port crème brûlée (served with a selection of cheeses, dates, and roasted hazelnuts).

►Passionfruit

►Coconut (with coconut foam & tropical-fruit salsa).

►Cardamom (with pomegranate sauce).

►Chocolate (with kirschwasser-spiked cherries).

►Lemongrass (with mango sorbet & juilienned crystallized ginger ).

►Ginger (with white peach-Sangria sorbet).

►Banana (with chocolate-glazed madeleines).

►Key lime (with small banana fritters).

►Fig (served with icewine.)

►Duck-eggs!

[Edited, after recognizing that I wouldn't have aced today's wine-name spelling bee!]

Edited by Redsugar (log)

"Dinner is theater. Ah, but dessert is the fireworks!" ~ Paul Bocuse

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"At the bottom of each ramekin, place bits of dried apricots that have been slowly poached with Sherry & raspberry preserves. Top with a layer of génoise; then fill up with the custard."

For this one you mean

you fill with custard on top of the layer of genoise.

then you bake it like a regular brulee??

I bake there for I am....

Make food ... not war

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"At the bottom of each ramekin, place bits of dried apricots that have been slowly poached with Sherry & raspberry preserves. Top with a layer of génoise; then fill up with the custard."

For this one you mean

you fill with custard on top of the layer of genoise.

then you bake it like a regular brulee??

Yes, that's the exact sequence of filling the dishes.

"Dinner is theater. Ah, but dessert is the fireworks!" ~ Paul Bocuse

Just some ideas I don't think I've seen mentioned:

Fruits: Lychee, rambutan, mangosteen, mandarin orange, date (I like medjools best)

Sweet spice: Allspice

Sweet wine: Port

Disclaimer: I haven't made or eaten any of these types of creme brulee.

Michael aka "Pan"

pineapple

Considered this, too, when thinking about a kaffir lime, coconut, pineapple trio. But I wondered if it wouldn't prevent the cream from setting.

Yes, I was also worried that the acidity wouldn't work...hmmm, maybe a plain vanilla creme brulee topped with chunks of grilled pineapple?

Pistachio, Durian not together though :wink:. The saffron and rosewater suggestion upthread sounds pretty good, and I like Pan's idea of allspice, Penzeys makes a "Cake Spice" (cinammon, star anise, nutmeg, allspice, ginger, clove). I also think you might be able to make a chile or "hot" CB of some type, I like the idea of spicy dessert, but I also put black pepper on my vanilla ice cream so to each his own.

Speaking of ice cream my favorite is vanilla with cocao nibs and aged balsamic(25 year min) so why not vanilla, c.nib, and balsamic CB.

Edit: Spell etc...

Edited by M.X.Hassett (log)

Oh, the timing on this is just perfect! We do desserts for one of our restaurants, and the spice brulée (typical pumpkin pie spices: cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg) hasn't been selling so well the past few days. I want to think it's the nice weather that's deterring people, but if it doesn't pick up, we'll have to change it.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries