• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

This is what happened when you offend the Food God

pim

BWAH!!

I usually think lamb just tastes dead, dead, dead—and then they served it (two different ways) at Sunday's farm dinner, and by golly, it was good. I had seconds. No way was I going to be a picky eater in front of Alice Waters.

I can't eat anything with liver. I think to myself, "Animal diapers. I'm eating animal diapers."

You are too funny :laugh:

I had liver last night at Cafe Constant (thanks Loufood for the rec.) and I kept thinking about your comment. :laugh:

The conversation in my head was like this...

(Tana said animal diaper :blink: Yuck

ymmm but this is so good hmmmm

but she said......:wacko: )

Fortunately it didn't stop me. It was way too good, and le Mâitre himself was popping in and out, looking over at my plate and asking if it was ok everytime he went by. No way I was going to leave anything on my plate in that case...I'd rather tip the remainder of my plate into my gucci bag! Luckily it never came to that :biggrin:

chez pim

not an arbiter of taste

The point of ordering the dégustation menu for me is not only to try many things, but also to let the chef design the prosession of the food for me.  Batterave en gelée followed with Batterave Rôti was just too much, except perhaps for a dégustation menu of beets, but that's not the case here.

Rather missed the point for you didn't I? :unsure:

But others are quite happy to declare that they won't eat common ingredient x under any circumstances, which can be a little limiting.

I am eating at the French Laundry for the first time in a couple weeks, the tasting menu. And I already know, I am going to have to eat the only food I am phobic about: eggs. I am not allergic...I have no problems when they are disguised in a cake (though I won't eat merengue and the thought of homemade mayo gives me the heebies). I have not eatan an egg since I was 5 when my parents gave up forcing me. Even worse, I know at FL the egg will be a barely cooked, runny disgusting yolk egg. But just like you Pim, I am gonna try it. And if I find the eggs at FL nauseating (as I fully expect) I will never eat one again. Of course, I hope the experience will be a turning point and I will love eggs ever thereafter. :rolleyes:

Lobster.

My biggest food aversion for years was eggplant. There was something about the texture that made me gag, but then a few years ago had it it crispy fried in small little cubes with salt & pepper and lo and behold it was good. Since then I have steadily increased my ability to eat and even enjoy eggplant. My wife (who loves eggplant, but doesn't eat veal - so we're even :smile: ) was impressed when I came home from the farmer's market a couple of weeks ago with a Japanese eggplant.

By the way, lamb is probably my favorite meat. I buy a whole lamb at a time from a local farm - 3 Corner Field. No, I do not eat it all at once. I put it in the freezer.

Beets were never a favorite and I used to avoid them, but then I had a pasta with beets at the restaurant Obelisk in D.C. and that did change my mind. I still don't go out of my way for them, but I will occassionally even cook them.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Be patient with me, this is my first response, but I gotta add. As a teen, I worked for a crop duster as a flagger in AZ. We started at 4 a.m. and were done by 11:30 or so because of the heat, and the chemicals. Anyway, me and this other highschooler were dropped at a short field (about 160 acres) AND we were buzzed by two sprayers, so we were ready to be picked up in about, ummm, 6.7 mins.(joke). However, the crew truck had broken down (unknownst to we two), & TMALSS, we were out on a caleche road for 5 hours waiting to be got otta there. Now to the part that is relevant. The field next to us, and the field across from us, was an already harvested canteloupe patch. Now the cattle had been turned in to clean it up. 118 degrees, Brahma cattle (and cattle flies and cattle manure) and rotted busted open canteloupe for like 6 hours. I can still not stand to smell canteloupe! Thereby meaning if I want Prosciutto con melone it better be a honeydew.

The point of ordering the dégustation menu for me is not only to try many things, but also to let the chef design the prosession of the food for me.  Batterave en gelée followed with Batterave Rôti was just too much, except perhaps for a dégustation menu of beets, but that's not the case here.

Rather missed the point for you didn't I? :unsure:

c'est pas grave..

Don't worry about it. Sorry I was a bit :angry: before. Must have still been bitter about the >400euro I had to shell out for all those beets!. :blink:

chez pim

not an arbiter of taste

Anchovies. Not only are they both fishy AND oily, they make the entire apartment reek for days when Sam cooks them. I can taste even a teeny-tiny bit in food, and it makes me want to hurl. *york* Ugh. Ugh Ugh Ugh. I have to eat bacon cheeseburgers and fries for DAYS to even out the offense to the food gods--and do you know what seven days of that does to my waistline?????

I also can't stand salmon.

Used to hate avocado until I had a really fantastic guacamole about five years ago...now I can't get enough of 'em.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

I know what you mean about suddenly liking something once you have a 'good' version of it. I always disliked BBQ

*ducks*

until I ate BBQ at Willie Mae's in West Memphis, Arkansas. I remember eating it and thinking, "So THIS is why people love BBQ so much." I guess I just never had GOOD bbq before. But I'm from Massachusetts, so what do I know? :laugh:

But one thing I can't abide is CELERY! Why did you put celery in my kung pao chicken? why did you put celery in my tunafish? Why did you put celery in my potato salad.... chicken salad.....

It tastes nasty, and those STRINGS!! AAAARGH! Nasty taste, nasty texture, and those strings getting caught in your teeth... Why does anyone eat celery?!

OK, rant completed. Thanks for listening. :laugh:

When you have kids and they start developing palates of their own, you do sometimes start to wonder how you must have offended the food gods. My husband and I must have done something that made the gods very angry. How else can we explain why we are now suffering the punishment of:

A three-year-old who wants ketchup (horrors!) on her hot dog?

Or the six-year-old who views collard greens as a food only barely to be tolerated and, to boot, leaves all the luscious "pot likker" in his bowl?

Or, in my husband's case, how an oenophile like him ended up married to a woman who has no appreciation for wine so that, when the two of us eat out alone, he often has to settle for ordering a glass or half-bottle instead of some of the more interesting wines on the list?

Or, in my case, how a Southerner like me ended up with a husband from NY who detests pimento cheese and might contaminate our children with his Yankee prejudices?

A three-year-old who wants ketchup (horrors!) on her hot dog?

Or the six-year-old who views collard greens as a food only barely to be tolerated and, to boot, leaves all the luscious "pot likker" in his bowl?

Awww, she'll grow out of it. Anyway, I did (but I STILL prefer my hot dogs well-done).

So will the boy, if you don't make a big deal out of it.

wait.

There's something wrong with ketchup on a hot dog? :shock:

Say it isn't so, please.

K, who also likes ketchup on her hot dogs, as well as mustard, chili and raw onions. And cheese. But not relish. Ick.

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

wait.

There's something wrong with ketchup on a hot dog?   :shock:

Say it isn't so, please.

Must be a regional thing. Maybe it all traces back to Germany, where no one puts ketchup on a frankfurter?

Well, I get grief for putting mustard and mayo (plus ketchup) on my hamburgers, so we're even. And mustard on a hamburgers is a regional thing, Southern in fact.

Edited by browniebaker (log)