• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sticky Buns

Suvir Saran

Now that I have made far too many cobblers in just a few weeks, I feel I need to try something new.

Is there a great recipe you all can share with me for Sticky Buns?

I love them when they are great. At Taylors Bakery around the many stores they have in NYC, the sticky buns, when available are superb. Gooey and really sticky.

Are they difficult to make? Do I need to have a starter dough?

Can I make them easily in my home kitchen?

What all stuff do I need?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

I've worked my way thru this obsession. When it comes down to it the similar is better imo. No you don't need a starter, but you could if you wanted to. Yes, you can make them at home. You can buy a frozen dough if you want and just go from there.

Gooey and really stick sound yummy, but it doesn't tell me enough about what kind of roll you like so I could stear you in that dirrection.

There's all kinds of sticky buns what's your ideal one like? Hey, you could mail me one from Taylors bakery....... :laugh: and skip the written description.

There's all kinds of sticky buns what's your ideal one like? Hey, you could mail me one from Taylors bakery....... :laugh:  and skip the written description.

If you PM me your address, next time I am at Taylors, I can pick some up and mail them to you.

There is a post office next to Taylors on Hudson Street in West Village. Makes it really easy. :smile:

I love the Nancy Silverton recipe. There is a TON of butter in there. Suvir, you can probably access the recipe through the martha stewart Website. She made them on the show.

Are these the one's? They certainly look delicious, but there is no attribution so I can't tell if they are Nancy Silverton's. The recipe calls for 1 POUND of butter to make a dozen buns. I suspect this is the one you're referring to. Just looking at the picture put extra pounds on me!

--------------

Bob Bowen

aka Huevos del Toro

I love the Nancy Silverton recipe. There is a TON of butter in there. Suvir, you can probably access the recipe through the martha stewart Website. She made tham on the show.

Lesley, I have found trusting your taste to be a fine and wonderful adventure.

I will prepare this recipe and see if it is the one that will make me addicted for the next several weeks.

My waist line could do without anymore sweet addictions, but my eyes, my taste buds and my mind sure could use an endless supply.

I make those salty, sweet and tender crisp brownies you led me to all the time and to much acclaim. Thanks Lesley! :smile:

I love the Nancy Silverton recipe. There is a TON of butter in there. Suvir, you can probably access the recipe through the martha stewart Website. She made them on the show.

Are these the one's? They certainly look delicious, but there is no attribution so I can't tell if they are Nancy Silverton's. The recipe calls for 1 POUND of butter to make a dozen buns. I suspect this is the one you're referring to. Just looking at the picture put extra pounds on me!

And many thanks for the link. :smile:

I've made Reinharts and Silvertons recipes from sticky buns and I have a desenting vote on them. Although they are both wonderful doughs I think they are the wrong type of dough for this item. They are more similar to brioche and danish dough which I believe to be an over kill in sticky bun or a cinnamon roll.

Granted it's just my taste and my idea of what a good sticky bun is. That's why I tryed to ask you what you were looking for in detail- texture.

What I like is a plainer dough with sticky buns and cinnaman rolls. It should be on the soft side but not tightly grained (like a broiche) and not flakey (like a danish dough). My dough of preference for these is a potato dough. It's got enough body to hold up to heavy caramel, is plain enough so your toppings are highlighted and the potato factor keeps them moister longer then a regular sweet dough.

I've made Reinharts and Silvertons recipes from sticky buns and I have a desenting vote on them. Although they are both wonderful doughs I think they are the wrong type of dough for this item. They are more similar to brioche and danish dough which I believe to be an over kill in sticky bun or a cinnamon roll.

Granted it's just my taste and my idea of what a good sticky bun is. That's why I tryed to ask you what you were looking for in detail- texture.

What I like is a plainer dough with sticky buns and cinnaman rolls. It should be on the soft side but not tightly grained (like a broiche) and not flakey (like a danish dough). My dough of preference for these is a potato dough. It's got enough body to hold up to heavy caramel, is plain enough so your toppings are highlighted and the potato factor keeps them moister longer then a regular sweet dough.

Very well said. I'm of the same school.

The dough needs to be a foil for the butter, sugar, and goo of the cinnamon-and-brown-sugar swirls and the topping.

The idea of a pound of butter to six cups flour in Silverton's dough makes me, frankly speaking, queasy.

Edited by browniebaker (log)

Sinclair-

What ratio of butter(or shortning) to flour do u use?? Reinhart's recipe uses 5 Tbsp of fat to 3.5 Cups of flour. Is that really too much???

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I made those recipes as written (first you learn- then you improve/tweek, and I don't think I could improve on either one of those excellent bakers recipes). I can't remember off the top of my head what the proportions were at all. but...The fat to flour proportions worked fine in each recipe.......it's not like butter was oozing out of either. Silvertons is basicly a danish dough with rolled in fat, that equals steam/lift/flake.......so the butter proportions were fine- it's a rich dough.

But very much to my supprise I liked the coffeecake dough, danish and broiche recipes from Gisslens pro book (#4 I believe) better then Reinharts or Silvertons recipes for the same. It's almost embarassing to post that seeing how respected Reinhart is!

Edited by Sinclair (log)

This morning for breakfast I tried for the first time adding one medium sweet potato, boiled and mashed, to the dough for my cinnamon rolls (and decreasing the amount of flour by about 1/2 cup). The rolls were delicious, the sweet-potato dough soft, bready, very moist, golden in color, substantial enough in texture to stand up to the filling and icing, and with a subtle flavor of sweet potato. I think sweet-potato dough would work well in sticky buns, too, especially with the pecans.