• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

RobertM

RobertM

On 12/4/2019 at 3:55 PM, SchiehallionHandmade said:

Interested to see recipes with cornflour, here on the isle of Skye its always been added Semolina or ground rice.

115g butter, whip it till fluffy, beat in 55g of Caster sugar with a pinch of salt. Sift in 130g Plain flour and about 40g ground rice, fold all together. When making the biscuits don't roll out you will compress it too much, use your hands to pat down biscuit size rounds. Oven at 150C, cook depending on the shape you've used, if making fingers or a square will take longer. Always prick your dough, chill in fridge then in the oven till cooked but now brown, sprinkle caster sugar while still warm.

I just made a batch of shortbread from a recipe given to me by an English friend, almost your formula but with Semolina in lieu of the ground rice.   Best shortbread I’ve ever had.....hands down.  

RobertM

RobertM

On 12/4/2019 at 3:55 PM, SchiehallionHandmade said:

Interested to see recipes with cornflour, here on the isle of Skye its always been added Semolina or ground rice.

115g butter, whip it till fluffy, beat in 55g of Caster sugar with a pinch of salt. Sift in 130g Plain flour and about 40g ground rice, fold all together. When making the biscuits don't roll out you will compress it too much, use your hands to pat down biscuit size rounds. Oven at 150C, cook depending on the shape you've used, if making fingers or a square will take longer. Always prick your dough, chill in fridge then in the oven till cooked but now brown, sprinkle caster sugar while still warm.

I just made a batch of shortbread from a recipe given to me by an English friend, almost your formula but with Semolina.   Best shortbread I’ve ever had.....hands down.