• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Ess

Ess

realized flour type difference

I won't be baking until later in the week, but I wanted to write the two recipes down. So when I went to do this, I found that they're almost identical!

On 2017-02-17 at 11:23 PM, JohnT said:

8oz cake flour
4oz cornflour
6oz butter (all butter here was salted in the 50's and 60's)
4oz caster sugar

6 hours ago, helenjp said:

8 oz flour

3 oz cornflour (cornstarch) - or 2oz rice flour?

6 oz salted butter

4 oz fine sugar

The only difference is the cornstarch amount! And both grandmothers seem to use the same method of just pressing into the pan.

Is 'caster sugar' and 'fine sugar' the same?

Okay, so if two Scottish grandmothers agree like this, we must be getting close to a 'best' recipe...

Edit: Just realized JohnT's uses cake flour, and I would assume helenjp's uses all-purpose. Wonder if it will make that much of a difference? Canadian all-purpose is a lot higher in protein... More things to consider!

Ess

Ess

I won't be baking until later in the week, but I wanted to write the two recipes down. So when I went to do this, I found that they're almost identical!

On 2017-02-17 at 11:23 PM, JohnT said:

8oz cake flour
4oz cornflour
6oz butter (all butter here was salted in the 50's and 60's)
4oz caster sugar

6 hours ago, helenjp said:

8 oz flour

3 oz cornflour (cornstarch) - or 2oz rice flour?

6 oz salted butter

4 oz fine sugar

The only difference is the cornstarch amount! And both grandmothers seem to use the same method of just pressing into the pan.

Is 'caster sugar' and 'fine sugar' the same?

Okay, so if two Scottish grandmothers agree like this, we must be getting close to a 'best' recipe...