• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

scott123

scott123

32 minutes ago, Soupcon said:

Recipes need to have rice flour as an ingredient.

Rice flour, in a recipe with some water, might produce a crispier and product, but, in this recipe, it's not going to lend the shortbread any structural integrity.

Some form of liquid (water, egg, etc.) would be the most sure fire way of gaining handling ability, but it would also risk toughness, and also perhaps stray from authenticity.  I would bet you any amount of money that Walker's get's an end product capable of being shipped by pressing their cookies.  If your baking pan is stackable, you might try pressing down on the shortbread very hard with another pan.  You could also find something rigid, square and flat that you could use to tamp the shortbread in the pan. That might give you the structural integrity you're looking for.

Or, you could try water- perhaps with a very fine sprayer.  But, like I said, be careful.

scott123

scott123

15 minutes ago, Soupcon said:

Recipes need to have rice flour as an ingredient.

Rice flour, in a recipe with some water, might produce a crispier and product, but, in this recipe, it's not going to lend the shortbread any structural integrity.

Some form of liquid (water, egg, etc.) would be the most sure fire way of gaining handling ability, but it would also risk toughness, and also perhaps stray from authenticity.  I would bet you any amount of money that Walker's get's an end product capable of being shipped by pressing their cookies.  If your baking pan is stackable, you might try pressing down on the shortbread very hard with another pan.  That might give you the structural integrity you're looking for.

Or, you could try water- perhaps with a very fine sprayer.  But, like I said, be careful.