• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rugalach

Malawry

Since yeast is already not rugelach to me, it might as well be chocolate. Zabar's is only blocks away...

I'm sure I'll love it. I'll just have to call it something else. :raz:

Rochelle, let me suggest another favorite from Maida's Book of Great Cookies: brown sugar butter cookies sandwiched with a browned-butter filling. The dough works well in a cookie press.

I've made a second batch of dough. It's chilling in the fridge right now. I repeated the ingredients from the Joan Nathan recipe, but I used a mixer this time. I think the dough has a better texture, plus it stayed nice and cold. We'll see how it turns out. Thanks for all the tips, everybody.

Edit: Just to clarify, I only own Joan Nathan's book. I don't own any Heatter books. :unsure:

Edited by Malawry (log)

I got a second batch of ruggies going yesterday. I used many of the suggestions sent here and via my email, especially WRT keeping the dough cold all steps of the way. The results definitely look and even taste better, and I'll be making a couple more batches so I can take some to the cousin's bat mitzvah. Thanks for all the tips, guys!

Malawry:

It just so happens I was testing out some rugelach in my new shop. I have used Martha's recipe in the past and tried it again, it has no sugar which it clearly needs (personal prefernce). I dont think yeast is an option, that seems more like danish than rugelach.

We decided to make some different flavors: chocolate peanut butter, raspberry cinnamon, chocolate chocolate, sundried cranberry. The dough came out firn. I made it in the mixer, pulsed it with the butter then mixed in the cream cheese, then the buttermilk. I chilled the dough over night then split in 4. Work one piece at a time. Roll out into 12 x 14 strip I brush lightly with melted butter tahn whatever else I'm using. Roll in a tight log length wize and chill for 15 minutes, cut then chill 15 minutes. Brush with egg white and sprinkle liberally with cinnamon sugar or sugar in the raw. I tend to cook them a little longer than Martha (I like them cooked through but still moist-barely cooked). Sometimes I make huge ones and call them " Atomic Rugelach "

Try this link

http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?ty...true&resultNo=1

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

I'm at work, so I don't have my recipes handy for reference, but I usually make my rugalach with a cream cheese/butter/flour dough (the same dough I use for my pecan tassies). I think one of the spiral-bound Sisterhood cookbooks I have gives a recipe for dough made with vanilla ice cream (!). Will see if I can find it for you.

For the filling, I follow my mother's recipe: four-fruits preserves topped with a little bit of cinnamon sugar and some shredded coconut. The coconut gives it a nice chewy testure. I think chocolate-raspberry sounds divine also. We never use nuts because a few people in our family are allergic.

I had some old correspondence with jaybee about rugelach but I recently cleaned out my archives :sad:.

Malawry, sounds like it's going to be a beautiful bat mitzvah. When I had mine, the tradition in our synagogue was for girls to have their bat mitzvot on Friday evening, followed by a lovely oneg shabbat.

. . . I usually make my rugalach with a cream cheese/butter/flour dough (the same dough I use for my pecan tassies). 

I, too, use the classic pecan-tassie crust for rugulach. The recipe is just 3 oz. cream cheese, 4 oz. unsalted butter, one cup all-purpose flour, and 1/8 teaspoon salt.

Actually, I use the pecan-tassie crust recipe for lots of things: tassies, rugulach, pig-in-a-blanket, crust for sweet and savory pies, crust for sweet and savory tarts, crust for cobblers, fried pies, fruit turnovers, and the most delectable melt-in-your-mouth biscuits (made with the addition of 1 teaspoon baking powder and 1/8 teaspoon more salt).

One of the joys in life is finding one recipe that works for lots of dishes, making life simpler.

We decided to make some different flavors: chocolate peanut butter, raspberry cinnamon, chocolate chocolate, sundried cranberry.

Brian -- would you be willing to provide how-to info on your fillings? We've had lots of discussion about dough but I, for one, want to know about this too.

Thanks in advance.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

You can use almost anything for the filling as long as it is not too loose or liquidy. Jams and preserves work great. I almost always sprinkle with cinnamon sugar or sugar in the raw.

Peanut Butter-

I spread a thin layer of peanut butter first (thin!) or it will overpower the dough and any other flavor. Make sure you use good quality chocolates or chips.

Peanut Butter & Jelly-

self explainatory

Raspberry White Chocolate-

raspberry preserve , grated white chocolate (or finely chopped) then a sprinkly of coarsley chopped almonds

Double Chocolate-

make cocoa flavored dough, spread ganache then sprink with a mixture of cinnamon sugar and chocolate cake crumbs. Roll, brush top with egg white then sprinkle with granulated sugar

I have made grated apple and ginger preserve, good but only if you like ginger.

You can try fig jam..................

Anybody else have any ideas?

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

I'm thinking of the caramel-pecan filling and the almond filling I use for hamentashen. Brian -- when I put chocolate ganache inside hamantashen they boil up and out of the pastry when baking. Wouldn't it work the same with rugelach? What should I do differently?

So long and thanks for all the fish.

• 2 weeks later...

JF,

When spreading the ganache on the rugelach dough I seal it in with dry chocolate cake crumbs and you can also sprinkle in same chopped hazelnuts. I bought some nutella, I'm gonna try it tonight. I will let you know.

Bri

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

FWIW I added challah crumbs to the homemade jam I used to fill my second, successful ruggie attempt. The bat mitzvah is this weekend and I can't wait to show the cookies off. :wub:

I personally prefer the yeast version of this item.

You're only half-Jewish, right? :wink:

I'm 100% Jewish, though I have one non-Jewish grandfather. But the yeast version is the one favored in Israel, as well as the one made by Green's and sold at Zabar's. I have a fundamental problem with Green's rugelach, and any of the yeast based rugelach for that matter - they're pareve. This means they don't have any milk product in them, and as far I'm concerned, the best rugelach are dairy.

actually, sometimes one has to have pareve desserts with a meat meal, if kosher dietary laws are to be properly followed :unsure:

That said, (audible sigh) all of the best desserts are always dairy and, preferably, made with real butter .... (second sigh)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

• 5 years later...

I haven't got a drop of Jewish blood in me, but a Jewish friend was visiting me recently, so I treated her to some homemade rugelach. VERY DELICIOUS indeed :)

gallery_43137_2974_64844.jpg

I used this recipe from Clarissa Hyman's book "The Jewish Kitchen: Recipes and Stories from Around the World". It's an American-Jewish recipe, using cream cheese. I used a mixture of hazelnuts and walnuts in the filling.

I haven't got a drop of Jewish blood in me, but a Jewish friend was visiting me recently, so I treated her to some homemade rugelach. VERY DELICIOUS indeed :)

gallery_43137_2974_64844.jpg

I used this recipe from Clarissa Hyman's book "The Jewish Kitchen: Recipes and Stories from Around the World". It's an American-Jewish recipe, using cream cheese. I used a mixture of hazelnuts and walnuts in the filling.

Those are absolutely beautiful.

I made rugelach a while ago using Dorrie Greenspan's recipe, which I think is excellent. However, I do not have the same "control of the dough" as you obviously have!

I baked 16 dozen rugelach the other day to bring to my sister-in-law's house for Rosh Hashanah. Perhaps a bit over the top, considering there were seven guests in total. :rolleyes: Eight dozen were walnut-raisin-cinnamon with apricot preserves and the other eight dozen were chocolate chip-cinnamon with raspberry preserves, a version I developed when DH was under the impression he was allergic to nuts. He still prefers the raspberry version.