• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: SobaAddict70 - The horror! The horror!

Friday, 22 August 2003

I never eat breakfast at home, since I can just grab it at work.  Just had my first bottle of Poland Spring, along with a breakfast burrito:  scrambled eggs, roasted onions, peppers, tomatoes, spinach and feta cheese.  The cafeteria serves breakfast burritos as part of their staple breakfast items.  Past burrito fillings include turkey bacon and onions; roasted tomatoes, onions and peppers; chorizo, roasted garlic and chicken; and spinach and mushrooms.  Today's has got to be my favorite yet.

Soba, I think breakfast burritos are totally underrated, and I wish someone near the ol' day job here would sell them (and take on the responsibility for my waistline in the process).

Just discovered this week that Whole Foods does a good basic breakfast burrito. Just your classic eggs, potatoes, cheese, salsa, whole wheat tortilla, but well-balanced and it's so large that I cut it in half and it was two perfectly satifsying breakfasts. And I like large portions. Made the cost easier to bear too.

I'll find them at home and post 'em if anyone's interested (I'm pretty darned sure I can get permission to do that if I need to, since they're my cousins and all).

Yes, please. As long as they don't contain any baby chicks.

This is part of the reason why I'm not a fan of Christmas specifically and holidays in general.

:blink:

Long complicated answer but in short:

I get depressed during holidays, ESPECIALLY end-of-the-year holidays. Turkey Day is barely tolerable, but Christmas and New Year's are the worst, and I can't wait for them to be over as soon as the holiday season arrives. Pretty much the last two weeks of December are sad times for me.

Lunch looked um...interesting. Among the offerings downstairs are:

Buffalo Chicken Tender Wraps -- chicken fingers/tenders with a choice of toppings -- tomatoes, peppers, onions, roasted garlic cloves, sour cream, olives and a choice of sauce. I didn't look long enough to notice. :blink:

Other offerings included BBQ ribs, Maryland crab cakes, smashed red skinned potatoes, roasted asparagus, pasta sitting under a heat lamp, lasagna with either roasted tomato sauce or meat sauce, corn mini-cobs (cobs sliced in half and sititng in a bath of water :wacko: , vegetable chowder, and shrimp soup. I took the safe option and went for lasagna with meat sauce (mediocre) and the asparagus (actually, pretty good). An orange. Poland Spring (bottle #3). Since I prefer to eat in my office, anything that results in lots of mess (and grubby sauce-coated fingers) is out, which is why I didn't go for the ribs. I don't think any of my lawyers would appreciate me getting grease stains all over their opinions, for example.

I can't wait for 5:30 when I'm outta here.

Soba

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)

Yes, Kristin, the "70" refers to part of my birth year.  I was born in 1970 as well....but MY birthday is on Christmas Day.  :sad:  This is part of the reason why I'm not a fan of Christmas specifically and holidays in general.

I'm Christmas Eve, dude. It sucks.

Yes, Kristin, the "70" refers to part of my birth year.  I was born in 1970 as well....but MY birthday is on Christmas Day. :sad:  This is part of the reason why I'm not a fan of Christmas specifically and holidays in general.

I have a good friend from high school who was born on Dec. 29th. She hated her birthday being so close to Christmas because everyone just lumped the two occasions together. Her birthday never was the big deal it was supposed to be.

When she graduated college she informed her all of her family that she had decided to move her birthday. She now celebrates her birthday on June 29th and is thrilled with finally having a "real" birthday. Plus, the weather is far better in June, of course, so she usually has an outdoor party.

When Life hands you lemons, grab some salt and tequila and have fun.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I have a good friend from high school who was born on Dec. 29th.  She hated her birthday being so close to Christmas because everyone just lumped the two occasions together.  Her birthday never was the big deal it was supposed to be.

When she graduated college she informed her all of her family that she had decided to move her birthday.  She now celebrates her birthday on June 29th and is thrilled with finally having a "real" birthday.  Plus, the weather is far better in June, of course, so she usually has an outdoor party. 

doe she hate christmas and other holidays too?

I have a good friend from high school who was born on Dec. 29th.  She hated her birthday being so close to Christmas because everyone just lumped the two occasions together.  Her birthday never was the big deal it was supposed to be.

When she graduated college she informed her all of her family that she had decided to move her birthday.  She now celebrates her birthday on June 29th and is thrilled with finally having a "real" birthday.  Plus, the weather is far better in June, of course, so she usually has an outdoor party. 

doe she hate christmas and other holidays too?

It was just the year-end holidays for her. In part because the birthday/Christmas thing was coloring her world but it could also have been the generic "Holiday Blues".

Something else happened to change things around for her. She got married and she and her husband adopted twins. Using that as an excuse (the bother of transporting the babies, etc), she asked her family if it would be okay to hold the family holiday get-togethers at her house (which also was larger than her parents house). Maybe it was a control issue...I don't know, but she just blossomed once the dinners were at her house and she was in charge. The twins are 7 now and it's become their family tradition that they continue to have the holiday get-togethers at her house.

And her year-end holiday blues are gone.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

hate christmas and other holidays too?

Hate is a pretty strong word.

I'd say my attitude tends more towards a depression. Typical holidays like Valentine's Day and July 4th, the depression is barely noticeable. It's only the year-end period when things get acute.

Soba

Yes, Kristin, the "70" refers to part of my birth year.  I was born in 1970 as well....but MY birthday is on Christmas Day.   :sad:  This is part of the reason why I'm not a fan of Christmas specifically and holidays in general.

I have a good friend from high school who was born on Dec. 29th. She hated her birthday being so close to Christmas because everyone just lumped the two occasions together. Her birthday never was the big deal it was supposed to be.

Imagine having birthday parties and nobody coming. The 29th is a fucking dream date.

My birthday is two days after Christmas and I must attest that yes, you do get way fucking screwed over on gifts.

Especially after the age of 5.

It sucks big time...it's way worse now that I am an adult - - -

w/ three kids to appease I myself cannot afford to buy any birthday gifts at that time of the year.

Maybe in a couple months or maybe next year....yeah, right.

...I thought I had an appetite for destruction but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Imagine having birthday parties and nobody coming.

I never thought about that before. :sad: My sister's birthday is on the 27th. Now I feel bad...

Edit: careless typing

Edited by KelMH (log)

Kelli

Friday (continued)

I didn't leave the office until a little after 7 pm. :sad: At least I didn't have to stay any longer (although I could've...).

Instead of heading to the Village, I went home and picked up a few things from a local Food Emporium and Cantonese takeout palace. When in doubt, and hardly anything in the refrig, chicken breasts will usually win out. So, broiled skinless boneless chicken breasts, smeared with a good couple T. of EVOO, topped with halved grape tomatoes, diced onion and some diced bell pepper; seasoned with some lime salt and cracked black pepper. Green salad (Bibb lettuce, endive, arugula) with a white wine viniagrette. Couscous, with chicken stock from the Cantonese takeout palace. (I call them takeout palaces because they're above and beyond just a typical Chinese takeout place. Evergreen Shanghai and China Fun, two specific ones, offer cold appetizers, Hong Kong-style dim sum and stuff like tripe and jellyfish -- stuff you'd never see at a typical takeout place.) Iced blueberry oolong tea (it's basically flavored oolong tea, served iced.).

Might do the borscht thing this weekend, if I can drag myself out of the house. Who knows.

Macerated some berries with sugar and a splash of cassis. Had the berries over Haagen-Dasz vanilla ice cream for a late night snack.

Saturday, 23 August 2003

During the weekend, my eating patterns tend to be irregular, meaning I eat when I'm hungry and have no set meal times. I usually tend to sleep in late unless I'm hanging out late Friday or Saturday night. I actually intended to go hang out last night but fell asleep around 1 am. Didn't get up until a couple of hours ago.

Just did takeout -- scallion pancake, sliced chicken with broccoli, brown rice. Going to take a nap before I do my weekly food shopping. Ever since we tossed out stuff in the refrig due to the blackout, the refrig's been pretty bare. :shock:

(to be continued...)

Soba

Also -- spicy crunchy scallop maki roll (crunch provided by tobiko which coated the outside of each section) and saba sashimi.  You can thank Jinmyo for turning me into a mackerel freak.  :wink:  Evian.

Count me in among the mackerel lovers. And that scallop maki sounds pretty damn good too.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

could you start a blog outlining what goes on at "the office."

Can't do...heh. Confidentiality agreements and all that.

Oh, you were talking about day-to-day interaction and all that? Well....office politics aren't my cup o'tea anyway. It's nothing none of us haven't seen, especially to long-time eGulleteers. :blink:

Soba

chicken breasts :wub:

Bah.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

chicken breasts :wub:

Bah.

:angry:

Breasts :wub:

Breasts, sure.

But not skinless/boneles/pointless.

Except for Soba's, of course.

Now, skin on, freshly deboned, rubbed with EVOO and seasoned, skin side down five minutes in a moderately high cast iron skillet then flipped and bunged into a 425 oven for eight minutes. Sure.

Not great. Not as good as thigh meat. But acceptable.

Chicken without skin is pointless.

Chicken skin without the meat is better than chicken meat without the skin.

Except for Soba's, of course.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

I only brake for Soba's breasts.

I only brake for Soba's breasts.

Soba's so dreamy. :wub::wub::wub:

This just in. Here jackal10 provides an honourable use for skinless/boneless chicken breasts:

Beef is certainly traditional for beef clarification of beef stock. The difficulty is to get fat-free beef. Fat is the enemy of clarity, as I said. I find it much easier to use skinless and boneless chicken breast which is easily available and cheaper, and if the stock is well made you can't tell the difference in meaty flavour.