• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine pairing suggestions

guajolote

Matthew and I are having dinner together

Our menu is:

Asian Style Tuna Tartare (NV Champagne)

Seafood Cocktail Campeche (Alsatian Riesling)

Composed Summer Vegetable Salad (Tavel Rose)

Pork Loin stuffed with Sausage and Apricots (Red Burgundy)

Berry Gratin

Please help us with wine pairings for each course. My initial thoughts are in the parentheses but I would like some guidance from experts.

Thanks

Matthew and I are having dinner together

Our menu is:

Asian Style Tuna Tartare (NV Champagne)

Seafood Cocktail Campeche (Alsatian Riesling)

Composed Summer Vegetable Salad (Tavel Rose)

Pork Loin stuffed with Sausage and Apricots (Red Burgundy)

Berry Gratin

Please help us with wine pairings for each course. My initial thoughts are in the parentheses  but I would like some guidance from experts.

Thanks

Here are some ideas . . .

Spanish Cava with the Tuna Tartare

A good "soave" (like the Anselmi San Vincenzo--can you pick this up, G? I can't find any in GR right now) with the seafood campeche

A white Bourdeaux with the vegetable salad

(I agree with the red burgundy with the pork)

Not sure either on the berry gratin pairing.

An alternative to the burgundy with the pork could be the Alsatian reisling or a gewutztraminer. Another potentially interesting possibility would be to do a dinner with different expressions of pinot gris (e.g. Italian, Oregonian and Alsatian).

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

An alternative to the burgundy with the pork could be the Alsatian reisling or a gewutztraminer. Another potentially interesting possibility would be to do a dinner with different expressions of pinot gris (e.g. Italian, Oregonian and Alsatian).

Im with doc here.

Future Food - our new television show airing 3/30 @ 9pm cst:

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/tv/future-food/

Hope you enjoy the show! Homaro Cantu

Chef/Owner of Moto Restaurant

www.motorestaurant.com

My heavens, that really sounds like a delightful menu!

Your initial thoughts are all wonderful, but as a wine professional, I'd have to ask a few questions/make some comments.

For the tuna tartare, I like the idea of pairing it with bubbles, but go with something light and dry, a blanc de blancs that has some racy acidity, rather than one that is Pinot based (a tad too heavy for the dish and the weather, I think) If you like, you can even try a nice Vouvray Brut (such as Foreau, Fouquet or Huet, to my mind the three best growers in Vouvray) or a well-made Prosecco Frizzante rather than a Brut. (Bisson is the best I've had in this regard - it tastes like great Muscadet with bubbles!).

For the seafood cocktail campeche, I congratulate you on selecting a Riesling, which I consider the King of white wine grapes. Alsace Riesling is wonderful, but select carefully. To my mind, the two best growers in Alsace are Boxler and Deiss, with Albert Mann, Bernard Schoffit and Charles Schleret being personal favorites. (No disrespect to Olivier Humbrecht at Zind-Humbrecht, but that house style is on the sweet side) Any of the recent vintages should suffice.

Tavel for the Composed Summer Vegetable Salad? Brilliant. Guajolote, your sensibilities are spot-on. Almost any rosé would be great, but I would lean towards the less weighty ones, such as Tavel, but consider Sancerre rosé if you can find some. Get 2002's if you can, but some slower markets might have 2001's or even 2000's that are still perfectly delightful.

Red Burgundy for the Pork Loin? Why not? Any excuse to drink red Burgundy is a good one, and I am a sensualist by nature, so it is always an appealing idea.

Sure there are other recommendations I could make, but your instincts are excellent, and my first rule of wine recommendations is this: Drink what YOU like, not what someone THINKS you should like, but always keep an open mind. We aren't born liking these things, after all. I am personnally quite proud that you are embracing some of the best, though least popular wines sold in the U.S.A. Good for you, and bon appetite. à santé!

i love the champagne with the tuna, especially if it's a bit spicy.

my only question is what time and what should i bring. :biggrin:

i'm not sure what "Campeche" is, but if it's acidic (please excuse my ignorance), i'd avoid sweeter wines. but i'm a freak.

the vegetable salad. are they grilled? how's that done.

I'd actually see if you could find a sparkling Riesling for the Tuna tartare. I've had this with sashimi and it's tremendous. Really compliments the saltiness (assumption: "Asian style" means there's soy or ponzu sauce?) and the fattiness of the tuna.

I like the idea of Pinot Gris variants - particularly with the seafood cocktail. Or perhaps a Spanish or Portugese white like a Verdelho would be complimentary. Or Muscadet de Sevre et Main. Depends on the sauce. Acidic wouldn't be good, but simple and briny would be delicious with one of these.

YAY! Someone else who drinks pink wine! Bravo! Tavel is very tasty, or perhaps a light weight Bardolino Chiaretto or a Garnacha rosado from Spain.

Pork loin - I confess I don't eat a lot of pork, but an elegant Burgundian Pinot Noir (see if you can find one by Ampeau) sounds luscious if you really like to drink red with it. Or else an Alsatian Gewurztraminer would be lovely with the sausage and apricots, but hard to go to after the Rose. It would have to be closer to off-dry to follow. Or perhaps a Marsanne? Another red alternative would be a Cotes du Rhone with a few years on it so it's softened a bit.

For the berry gratin I'd have a glass of Brachetto d'Acqui. I LOVE Brachetto with berries. A light red sparking Piemontese wine that smells of berries and is incredibly refreshing and not heavy after a big meal.

Sounds like a really yummy dinner!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

For the berry gratin I'd have a glass of Brachetto d'Acqui.  I LOVE Brachetto with berries.  A light red sparking Piemontese wine that smells of berries and is incredibly refreshing and not heavy after a big meal.

Sounds like a really yummy dinner!

I agree wholeheartedly with Katieloeb on the pink wines.

For the gratin, I would go with one of those lovely red sparklies, or (if your palates aren't overworked already) a port. But, I think a mid-range pink sparkling wine would be great, just like a tentatively flawed pink wine goes so well with those super-fresh big summer tastes.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

I find the menu and wine accompaniments you've selected to be quite tasteful.

I like the Champagne and Tuna Tartare suggestion and I wouldn't mind if it's Pinot-based or Chardonnay, just so long as it's well-balanced and quite dry & crisp. I'm also a fan of some of the Rose Champagnes...Laurent Perrier is quite good and really berryish and crisp.

With the seafood cocktail--I might alter the selection to some sort of Sauvignon Blanc, especially if the Campechana "cocktail" has the cilantro and jalepenos which are often a part of Yucatan cuisine. I suppose a stony, minerally Riesling might work, but for my personal taste-buds, I'd opt for a bone dry, crisp, limey New Zealand Sauvignon...but the key here is something youthful and racy. Muscadet, given the tendency towards spiciness in this dish, is probably too light and delicate. Pinot Gris, for my taste, doesn't usually have enough "snap" to stand up to this.

The Tavel Rose, providing it's not one of the "sweet" ones, should be marvelous with the vegetable salad. If the Tavel has nice spice notes, I'd be sure to grind some pepper atop the salad before serving.

You shouldn't need much of an excuse for drinking Burgundy. I can appreciate others' suggestions for Pinot Gris given the apricots in the pork, but I would opt for a berryish, cherryish Pinot (rather than a more earthy or gamey styled wine) in this instance. A lighter styled, fruity Zinfandel should also work well in this case. And in this weather, it should be served with a slight chill (cellar temperature being about 55-degrees).

The berry dessert can be matched, if you're still thirsty, with the Brachetto (suggested earlier), a fresh, lively Moscato, a late-picked Austrian or German wine, etc.

I think the progression of flavors/intensities, etc. should make for a memorable culinary experience!

Happy hedonism! :rolleyes:

Great suggestions and a great choice of dishes for this time of the year.

Here are some different pairings that might work well:

Est Est Est, Poggio Dei Gelsi by Falesco

with

Asian Style Tuna Tartare

Regaleali Bianco [ Sicily ]

with

Seafood Cocktail Campeche

A good Vinho Verde

with

Composed Summer Vegetable Salad

A Sardignan Cannonau by Argiolas or similar

with

Pork Loin stuffed with Sausage and Apricots

And a Recioto Della Valpolicella Classico by Giovanni Allegrini or similar

with

Berry Gratin

Take a walk on the wild side...tu. tutu..tutu....

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.

You've got good ideas (both your own and the ones posted here). A couple thoughts:

The Tavel rosé is a good idea, just make sure it's a fresh one from a good producer. Another great rosé that might work is the Il Mimo, the only Nebbiolo rosé I know.

If you go with red Burgundy for the pork, I'd stick to something that strives more for elegance - maybe a Lafarge or d'Angerville Volnay, or a Chambolle from Roumier or Mugnier (the Lafarge Bourgogne is a good budget choice). I'd stay away from appelations that strive more for power, and from producers like Dominique Laurent.

In addition to the Burg and the other ideas posted here, another thought for the pork might be a Smaragd (or equivalent) level Grüner Veltliner.

Please be sure to post your report!