• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stocking up for emergencies

fresco

Wow, Melkor, do you live anywhere near Palm Desert??? I wanna be with you when the big one hits, LOL!You've got the whole disaster thing put into perspective in my book....champagne to wash down whatever has been cooked in the brick oven!  I wonder if I have a brick oven built in the backyard (and it's on the list at the moment) if it would be usable in case of disaster. And I do have to laugh at everyone who has said that one of their emergency items is a "manual" can opener....I've got ONLY a manual can opener; man, does that make me feel so out of it! :wink:

I'm in Napa. I'd love to have a brick oven, but I can make do with the gas grill to bake bread in a pinch. Next natural disaster we can have an egullet potluck at my place. :biggrin:

Living in the middle of tornado alley, we always have emergency supplies on hand. Even heavy winds can knock the power out for a couple of days.

There's usually an overabundance of canned goods and dry goods in the pantry. I tend to stock up when there's a sale, so I have a couple of cases of canned veggies and fruits tucked away in back. I buy my rice in bulk, 10 pounds of arborio at a time, so there's plenty o' that.

Upstairs there are a couple of dedicated emergency flashlights (off-limits to the kids). One of them is a 4 D-cell camp/work light that has an adjustable head and can stand on its own to illuminate a room. One drawer contains spare batteries for various flashlights and the NOAA weather radio. The weather radio is always on "standby," which means that when there is a storm warning it comes on automatically. There are several packs of long-burning camping candles and water proof matches in the kitchen.

I don't even have to mention the fire extinguishers in the kitchen, garage and both cars, do I?

Downstairs in the tornado room is our emergency kit, a large duffle bag that contains most of what we might need, even if we had to evacuate the house for a while. Contents below. There are also individual packs for the kids with a change of clothes/underwear/socks, toiletries, a sweater or sweatshirt and perscription meds. If we have to spend the night in a motel or a friend's house we don't have to pack in a hurry or, God forbid, dig through rubble to get out quickly.

Emergency kit:

• Four flashlights, two normal with extra batteries, two SureFire lights -- incredibly powerful with lithium batteries that have a 10-year shelf life.
  • Emergency blankets (surplus from Cheaperthandirt.com)
  • 12'x10' tarp (can be used as a shelter or just to cover broken windows)
  • Duct tape
  • 100' parachute cord (550lb strength) -- can be combined with tarp for shelter
  • Coleman two burner propane camp stove
  • Four bottles of propane (extras in the garage)
  • Pump-style water filtration system and water purifying solution
  • Large first aid kit (augmented with Immodium, Benedryl and tampons)
  • Extra toothbrushes, toothpaste and camping soap (Dr. Bronners)
  • Camping towels
  • Hand sanitizer
  • Small hatchet
  • Four family-size freeze dried meals
  • Propane heater that uses the same canisters as the stove
  • Waterproof matches & more long-burning candles
  • Cayalume light sticks
  • Chemical hand warmers

There is 15 gallons of water in six 2.5 gallon dispensers that are rotated yearly along with two empty four-gallon water carriers that can be filled if needed (remember that water filtration system?).

Seems like a lot, I know, but the gear was assembled after a lot of reading and several conversations with a friend who is a former FEMA emergency manager. He reminded me that contaminated water is one of the biggest problems with any sort of storm-related emergency -- and most emergencies in general. It usually takes a couple of days for FEMA and/or the Red Cross to get their shit together, so it's good have some water on hand or have an effective way to filter and purify it. After that comes shelter & warmth. Food is last on the list. As I said, all of this fits in a duffle bag that can be easily carried by one person if necessary.

And, yes, I'm a competitive shooter, so there's usually a couple thousand rounds of ammo and several pistols in the gun safe.

It's nice to know I'm not the only safety whacko around here :biggrin:.

Chad

Edited by Chad (log)

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

I divide my time between two places-the northern California coast, which loses power on a regular basis during winter storms, and Oakland, where I live essentially on the Hayward fault. You've all mentioned most of the things I do.

One thing no one's mentioned is a portable butane cannister powered stove. Mine is called "Mr. Stove." They put out an amazing amount of heat; I've cooked a wide assortment of meals on it over the years.

Also, I keep a tiny little Magnalite flashlight in my purse (the one that comes free w/ the big flashlight.)

The best way to do this planning is to think about your most likely disaster scenario, then plan for it. If I was a New York City office worker, what would I have wished I had last week? (These all the same things I keep on hand at my office, so if the earthquake happens when I'm at work, I can walk the 4 miles home to my house to see if it is still there.)

Comfy shoes to walk home in-stashed in your desk

A few bottles of water to have during that long walk home-not too hard to keep on hand

$ to pay for a cab when I got tired of walking-tuck some in a corner of your wallet next time you're feeling flush

a little flashlight-if you don't have a purse, at least keep it in your desk

a cell phone-keep it on you, not in your car

lots of gas in the car, so you don't have to abandon your car halfway home

I keep much less food in my fridge and freezer at the house that regularly loses power. It is too annoying to have to throw food away; much better to spend my money buying lots of flashlights (Coleman makes a lantern that lights up a whole room) and candles for the inevitable outage.

I should be better about keeping more water around. In the case of a big earthquake, we are going to be without ANY water for quite some time; I'll be grateful if the straps securing the water heater hold, so I can drain that. Somewhere, the city's pipes will break, so filling up the tub is not going to be an option. Somehow I'm not as worried about the food. I figure I'll find something to eat for the first few days. For those of you who have lived through earthquakes, the constant aftershocks make you pretty queasy, it is like being on a boat in a storm. I doubt I'll have much of an appetite for anything substantial.

I also keep a well-stocked emergency kit in my car. (I do a lot of driving.) Water, no food, comfy shoes, an old sweater, a big Magnalite flashlight, a first aid kit, and heavy gloves and rope in case I have to move something out of my way so I can keep driving. I also keep some cash stashed in there; it's hard to say just how much I'd be willing to pay for a tank of gas (or some food) if the conditions were right, but I know if that day comes they won't be taking credit cards!

Edited by marie-louise (log)

If I was a New York City office worker, what would I have wished I had last week? (These all the same things I keep on hand at my office, so if the earthquake happens when I'm at work, I can walk the 4 miles home to my house to see if it is still there.)

Comfy shoes to walk home in-stashed in your desk

A few bottles of water to have during that long walk home-not too hard to keep on hand

$ to pay for a cab when I got tired of walking-tuck some in a corner of your wallet next time you're feeling flush

a little flashlight-if you don't have a purse, at least keep it in your desk

a cell phone-keep it on you, not in your car

lots of gas in the car, so you don't have to abandon your car halfway home

Just a few items are off for NYC.

You would needs lots of $$$$ for a cab ride home - if you could have found a cab. Some were gouging for rides back to the boroughs. Also, with the amount of people on foot in the streets in the City, traffic was almost at a standstill. There was disregard by pedestrians for vehicular traffic - unless they could hitch a ride with them.

It was almost impossible to get a line out for a cell phone call. Carriers couldn't handle the volume. Same thing happened 9/11. Many people spent their batteries trying to get calls out.

I've now ordered emergency kits for everyone in our office - just a few handy things that they could use. Got the 1 Person Fanny Pack. Don't want anything too heavy when you have to walk down from the 41st Floor of an office building.

Emergency Kits

Talking afterwards with co-workers and co-commuters, we all agreed that although this was not of the magnitude of 9/11, we got the feeling that NYC still does not really have an effective immediate disaster emergency plan in place. Scary. :shock:

don't discount cell phones lamb.  they did work to some extent on both 9/11 and thursday.  on either day, i would have been completely fucked without one.

Must have been my carrier. I had better luck with my cell on 9/11 than on "Black Thursday". Shows just how dependent you are on them. I used another commuters phone to call home. My 16 yr old son said "Huh? There's a problem in the City? When will you be home to cook dinner?"

:wacko:

Living in Los Angeles (another area of earthquake country) we do try to be prepared however, I never seem to be able to go out and get all the individual things you are supposed to have. We buy those pre-packaged kits and keep one at home and one in the trunk of each car with a pair of comfortable old shoes thrown in. Flashlights and batteries are always around. I should probably remind myself of how and where the gas shut-off is.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Am I the only person who has done/gathered absolutely nothing? Which is in no way to say that preparation is a trivial and/or bad thing.  If I had dependents, I would have something.  Kind of like life insurance.

Nope. I haven't lifted a finger yet, either.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

No guns or ammo though.  Perhaps I should think about that...]

Katie, and others, if you've never been around guns before - and particularly if guns make you uncomfortable - Think before you get one.

If you're thinking of getting a gun for personal protection but you are uncomfortable being in the presence of a gun, don't do it. You'll never feel right about it and it could do you harm. Should you ever have to confront someone with your gun, you have to be ready to pull the trigger without a second thought. Never aim a gun at anyone unless you're fully capable of blowing them away. For that matter, if you feel threatened, don't even reach for a gun unless you're willing to use it.

If you've passed that test and feel you need a gun, get some expert advice on what kind of gun you should have and what you'll feel comfortable with. If you've never been around guns before, or didn't grow up with them, get some firearms training - especially on the safe handling of firearms. Learn to handle a gun safely before you even think about shooting.

Just a few thoughts from someone that's been around guns for more than fifty years.

Am I the only person who has done/gathered absolutely nothing? Which is in no way to say that preparation is a trivial and/or bad thing.  If I had dependents, I would have something.  Kind of like life insurance.

Hey... I got three cans of wasabi peas when Claudette was headed here. Does that count?

(I really have to get my act together.)

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

guns also come in handy to intimidate people over the internet.

Sorry you feel that way Tommy. Considering recent events and all, and what people may be thinking, I was just trying to offer a little advice. I'd hate to see an eGulleteer head the wrong way when it comes to this.

ditto. I'm counting on the Midwest to save me.

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

Can't forget the french press for coffee, and a pound of ground beans. Life's essentials.

I keep the propane bottle on the grill filled above half always, moving from hurricane country to earthquake country.

And, of course, a house rabbit (but don't tell the girlfriend that he's part of the 'preparedness kit' :biggrin: )

Hey... I got three cans of wasabi peas when Claudette was headed here. Does that count?...

Only if you had plenty of water as well!

Hey... I cleaned and filled my bathtub. It is kind of a hurricane ritual down here.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Sorry you feel that way Tommy. Considering recent events and all, and what people may be thinking, I was just trying to offer a little advice. I'd hate to see an eGulleteer head the wrong way when it comes to this.

Nick... Don't apologize. You just repeated the advice my daddy always gave his two girls. We are accomplished gun totin' ladies. I agree with your advice whole heartedly. It has been very comforting to know that I can hit that water mocassin with my 22 when it comes swimming toward my submerged bottom step. Guns are very useful things in the hands of those who respect them. They are an abomination in the hands of "cowboys" or the untrained.

(BTW... I have a very liberal interpretation of "water mocassin". :biggrin: )

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

oh nick, you misunderstood. i wasn't referring to your above post, which was clearly level-headed, helpful, and came from a good place.

No guns or ammo though.  Perhaps I should think about that...]

Katie, and others, if you've never been around guns before - and particularly if guns make you uncomfortable - Think before you get one.

If you're thinking of getting a gun for personal protection but you are uncomfortable being in the presence of a gun, don't do it. You'll never feel right about it and it could do you harm. Should you ever have to confront someone with your gun, you have to be ready to pull the trigger without a second thought. Never aim a gun at anyone unless you're fully capable of blowing them away. For that matter, if you feel threatened, don't even reach for a gun unless you're willing to use it.

If you've passed that test and feel you need a gun, get some expert advice on what kind of gun you should have and what you'll feel comfortable with. If you've never been around guns before, or didn't grow up with them, get some firearms training - especially on the safe handling of firearms. Learn to handle a gun safely before you even think about shooting.

Just a few thoughts from someone that's been around guns for more than fifty years.

I'm with Nick. I'm a serious competitive shooter, but I'd never encourage anyone who isn't willing to invest a little time in learning how guns work to buy one or keep one around the house.

These things are dangerous. That's the point. If they weren't dangerous, there would be no need to have them around.

Having a gun is a moral commitment to learning how it operates and how to use it safely so that you don't endanger anyone who doesn't deserve endangering.

When you have a life-taking weapon in your hands, you'd better have 1) a basic understanding of how it works; 2) A serious understanding of why you're pointing it at someone in the middle of the night; and 3) A sure-as-if-God-himself-had-asked-you knowledge that you are willing to pull the trigger to protect your family and loved ones, no matter what the consequences are to you.

If you don't have those things, don't keep a gun in the house. It'll only be a problem.

Chad

Edited by Chad (log)

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com