• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

mmlstarr

mmlstarr

I just used this yellow cake recipe for my birthday cake yesterday, and it was surprisingly good. I tweaked the method slightly to follow a reverse creaming method more precisely. The result was light, fluffy, and moist - but still held up to an old-fashioned cooked caramel icing.

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (do not sift the flour)
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1-teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups milk
Vegetable oil
1 stick butter (not margarine), softened
1-tablespoon vanilla extract
3 large eggs

350° oven

1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, baking powder, and salt.
  2. Add the butter and beat on low until the mixture looks sandy (paddle attachment)
  3. (Measure the 1-1/4 cups of milk in a 2 cup measuring cup….then add enough vegetable oil to bring the liquid up to 1-1/3 cups)
  4. Add the milk/oil and vanilla. Mix for about a minute (1/2 on low, 1/2 on medium). Scrape bowl
  5. Add eggs 1 at a time beating and scraping as you go - about 2 minutes all told
  6. After 1 last scrape, beat for another 30 secs on med-high
  7. Bake 20 to 25 minutes

Then I iced with a cooked caramel icing (start with a dry caramel, then boil with cream, sugar, and a little apple cider vinegar)

CaramelCake.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 10.37.47 AM.png

CaramelCakeCrumb.jpg

mmlstarr

mmlstarr

I just used this yellow cake recipe for my birthday cake yesterday, and it was surprisingly good. I tweaked the method slightly to folowo a reverse creaming method more precisely. The result was light, fluffy, and moist - but still held up to an old-fashioned cooked caramel icing.

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (do not sift the flour)
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1-teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups milk
Vegetable oil
1 stick butter (not margarine), softened
1-tablespoon vanilla extract
3 large eggs

Preheat oven to 350°

Cut wax paper to fit the bottom of (3) 9 x 1 1/2-inch round pans. Spray the pans with cooking spray, place the wax paper in the pans and spray the paper.
  1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, baking powder, and salt.

2. Add the butter and beat with an electric mixer at low speed, until the mixture looks sandy.

(Measure the 1-1/4 cups of milk in a 2 cup measuring cup….then add enough vegetable oil to bring the liquid up to 1-1/3 cups)
  3. Add the milk/oil and vanilla, all at once. Mix at low speed for 30 seconds, then increase the speed to medium and beat for 30 seconds.

4. Scrape the bottom and sides of the mixing bowl.

5. With the mixer running at low speed, add 1 egg. Increase the speed to medium and beat for 30 seconds.

6. Repeat this procedure with the second egg. Continue adding the eggs, scraping after each addition, until all 4 are added.

7. After the last egg is added, scrape the bowl once more, then beat at medium-high speed for 30 more seconds.

8. Bake at 350° for 20 to 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted near center of cake comes out clean, or until cake springs back when touched lightly in the center.
Cool cakes on wire racks for 15 minutes; remove from pans and cool completely.

Then I iced with a cooked caramel icing (start with a dry caramel, then boil with cream, sugar, and a little apple cider vinegar)

CaramelCake.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 10.37.47 AM.png