• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cabo Verde rum

Alberto

Can you get it in Europe? I tasted a sample bottled fresh from the still and I must say it can be compared with french white agricoles, very good and drinkable. I think it was pot-stilled.

Thanks again,

Alberto

Edited by Alberto (log)

• 1 year later...

I was given two bottles of interesting Rhum from Cape Verde over Xmas. The giver has a boss from there who gave them to him, but he doesn't drink. :rolleyes:

It has a cachaça front end and a big molasses-style foundation. Never had anything quite like it. The Details:

1. Tropicana Grog Extra Special - 43% - Produced and distilled by Eduino Santos Oliveira, Campo de Cão Paúl - Santo Antão. This one has a cheesy label of, no doubt, the distillery and some sugar cane, painted by someone and printed. It is a bit darker than gold, but bright.

2. J&M Extra Special Aguardente Velha de Santo Antão - 40% - made from sugar cane distillate by João A. Monteiro & filhos LDA., Campinho - Ribeira Grande This bottle is more elegant in shape, has a gold-foil on black "tombstone" type printing. The flavor from this darker gold is stronger, but still has the cachaça hit with molasses.

I can't decide if it is the stuff locals drink there or a crazy tourist souvenir (the "grog" anyway). It didn't knock my head off like bad cachaça, but it did have the kick that pinga has. I haven't had Myers or Cap'n Morgan in ten years but I swear if someone had swilled a little Goslings in either of those, it might describe the finish.

On the other hand, cachaça that's left to sit for a decade or two, gets an interesting flavour and becomes darker.

Now that it's 12ºF and 50 knots blowing off the bay, maybe a proper mix with my new rhum is called for. Suggestions anyone?

Mr. Hamilton - what do you make of this stuff? :huh:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't drunk a lot of rum from the Cape Verde islands, most of my sailing friends finish it off before they get across the Atlantic.

What I've drunk from the Carpe Verde islands didn't impress me at world class spirits but the locals will swear by it, because it is what they're used to.

These rums are probably closer to cachaca than rhum agricole. Unfortunately sugar cane distillate doesn't really tell the story about where these rums are made from molasses or sugar cane juice. But in most cases, if it is made from sugar cane juice the label will tell you so. I believe there is a small sugar industry in Cape Verde so it would make sense that these spirits are made from fermented molasses, but probably not distilled to a high proof as are most rums distilled from molasses.

I would mix a little sugar and a squeeze of lime in a glass, add a measure of your rum, stir until the sugar is dissolved and then add crushed ice. The first sip isn't going to warm you up on a cold day, but by the end of the drink you'll be feeling the cold a little less.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Dumb question, but in which way are cachaca and rum prepared differently?

Well since there are few official standards for cachaca most of what we see here in the USA is "Industrial Cachaca" which is quite similar to the aguadentes found throughout South America. Traditional "cachaca amilbique" is quite different.

I define authentic cachaca as 1) being fermented from fresh sugar cane juices (like rhum agricole) 2) Fermented using naturally occurring yeasts (traditionally a measure of corn from the field) 3) having a short (18-24 hour) fermentation 4) being distilled using a pot still (like cognac) 5) having little or no water added before bottling.

Hope this helps.