• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chain Restaurant Guide

GordonCooks

Res·tau·rant : noun

-A business establishment where meals or refreshments may be purchased.

As a foodie, I really don’t frequent chain restaurants at all. I think better food can be had for the same money in a local establishment. I’ve eaten at Olive Garden, it’s not bad – the bread is fresh, the lettuce is crisp, the sauce is decent, copious amounts of cheese, etc, etc. For the most part, a decent meal can be had at any one of these establishments. That’s what I thought until I was in Nashville over the weekend

Buca di Beppo – “Italian immigrant dining” as the sign says, if this was the type of food being served, I would immigrate too. The cuisine at Buca di Beppo was inedible on so many levels. The only thing done right was it got to the table “hot”. The tomato salad was saturated with red onion, it was the only thing you could taste, the bruschetta was a carbon copy of the tomato salad chopped finely, the sauce was poor, the greens & beans were a soupy mush of beans, spinach, and bruschetta topping. The meatballs were devoid of any seasoning, etc, etc. On the positive side, the service is very good; the pasta is cooked al dente. The food seemed to be prepared correctly, it’s the recipes that are flawed. So, next time you’re thinking of Buca di Beppo – think again.

• 4 weeks later...

the bread is fresh at Olive Garden? where is yours located? the one near my house serves those oblong breadstick type things, which coem from frozen. actually the bread has gotten progressively worse over the last 5 years, now that i think about it. might just be that location, tho.

i prefer the local italian across the street from me, now. mmm..real live garlic rolls.

Edited by tryska (log)

The Darden's chain (Olive Garden, Red Lobster, etc.) is testing out a new concept in Orlando Fl.

It's called Seasons 52 and it's on Sand Lake Road in the newly fashionable "Restaurant Row."

The "gimmick" is that all the food is healthy, no dish over 460 calories, no butter, etc. Very classy restaurant, on a lake, with terrific wine list. Moderate prices (no entree over $20). Desserts (all under 250 cal.) are served in 3 oz shot glasses and are mini versions of standards like key lime pie and bananas Foster.

Food we sampled on one visit was excellent!

Landry's Seafood house is about as close to legitimate Cajun seafood as you can get in a chain. My only real beef with them is the blackened stuff they do. Blackened food only came about 10 or 15 years ago, and I blame Paul Prudhomme for it. Reasonable seafood prices as well.

This is the same company that owns Joe's Crab Shack and Rainforest Cafe, plus a few steakhouses and whatnot. The only one I've eaten at is Landry's, so I can only talk about that one.

And the best steak I ever had was at a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse.

Avoid Hard Rock Cafe (unless you are a Zippo collector) and Fuddruckers. nasty.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

• 4 weeks later...
The Darden's chain (Olive Garden, Red Lobster, etc.) is testing out a new concept in Orlando Fl.

It's called Seasons 52 and it's on Sand Lake Road in the newly fashionable "Restaurant Row."

The "gimmick" is that all the food is healthy, no dish over 460 calories, no butter, etc. Very classy restaurant, on a lake, with terrific wine list. Moderate prices (no entree over $20). Desserts (all under 250 cal.) are served in 3 oz shot glasses and are mini versions of standards like key lime pie and bananas Foster.

I don't think it takes a genius to work out that by reducing the serving size of restaurant meals, the calorie count for dish falls.

However, does a 3 oz qty of dessert satisfy the average diner?

Foodie_Penguin

http://www.seasons52.com/Seasons 52

Seasons 52 is a new test restaurant concept from the leaders in casual dining, Darden Restaurants (owners and operators of Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Bahama Breeze and Smokey Bones BBQ restaurants). A casually sophisticated fresh grill and wine bar, Seasons 52 features:

Seasonally inspired menus, some of which change every week to offer guests the freshest products available at the peak of their flavor.

High-flavored, delicious meals.

Great tasting and satisfying portions, that are also nutritionally balanced, with fewer calories than similar restaurant meals.

An attractive, casually sophisticated adult environment, including an international wine list and contemporary architecture and restaurant design.

What’s in a name? The name Seasons 52 refers to the fact that every week of the year different foods reach their seasonal peak of freshness and taste. Some of the restaurant’s menu will change at least that often to serve the freshest, best-tasting items available in creative ways.

Gustatory illiterati in an illuminati land.