• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[BEST] Kolaches in Texas

KAPDADDY

There is a great kolache shop on FM518 in League City just a little east of Highway 3. It is on the left heading east and easy to miss. They sell out earlly and often.

My parents live in League City. Can you tell me more about this place? What's it called? What's so special about their kolaches?

There is a great kolache shop on FM518 in League City just a little east of Highway 3. It is on the left heading east and easy to miss. They sell out earlly and often.

My parents live in League City. Can you tell me more about this place? What's it called? What's so special about their kolaches?

You have to be talking about 'kolache bakery' there on 518 -- it's very good (my parents live just west of League City).

Edited by mcdowell (log)

earlier this summer I was driving down to Ada, OK and when passing through Prague and there was a couple of koloache bakeries. This is off I-10 kind of close to OKC.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

• 2 years later...

There are at least four or five Czech bakeries in West, Texas. I can't remember the name of the one I like best - because they're all good.

But I think I've had best luck with the one where you exit I35 and head east, go over the railroad tracks and turn left, then about a half-block on the right. Next to the Czech butchershop.

They're good.

:rolleyes:

You are probably thinking about Gerik's Ole Czech Smokehouse and Bakery. I stopped there last Saturday on my way down to Lockhart and Luling for some BBQ. Here is a pic of the cherry kolache I bought

cherrykolache-20091010-190314.jpg

I thought this was better than the cherry kolache I got at Czech Stop on the way back home on Sunday. Most notably, the filling was better.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

• 7 months later...

There are at least four or five Czech bakeries in West, Texas. I can't remember the name of the one I like best - because they're all good.

But I think I've had best luck with the one where you exit I35 and head east, go over the railroad tracks and turn left, then about a half-block on the right. Next to the Czech butchershop.

They're good.

:rolleyes:

You are probably thinking about Gerik's Ole Czech Smokehouse and Bakery. I stopped there last Saturday on my way down to Lockhart and Luling for some BBQ. Here is a pic of the cherry kolache I bought

cherrykolache-20091010-190314.jpg

I thought this was better than the cherry kolache I got at Czech Stop on the way back home on Sunday. Most notably, the filling was better.

Doing a search for kolaches, and came up with this old thread.

And no, I wasn't thinking of Gerik's. I was thinking of a place actually in town, north on Main Street, next to the Czech butcher shop. But just came through there a week or so ago, and the place I liked has closed. The typical story - bought out by new owners, quality went down, had to close.

I do go to Gerik's now. Or Village Bakery, also in town on Main, but you turn right, about a block south.

Czech Stop is okay, but really pretty mediocre compared with other bakeries in town. Of course, in their defense, they don't have to be as good because they've got the best location and that's where all the "rubber tire tourists" stop.

So, whatever works...

Right?

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 10 years later...

Any Kolache options in East Texas that are really good?  I-20 or I-30 about 2 hours East of Dallas is pretty close to me.

TIA,

Sid

And no, I'm not into frozen bread and canned fillings!  Jalapeno and cheese sausage links in a Kolache are what I'm after.