• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Korean BBQ in Chicago

Hi All,

There used to be a decent place near me which is now gone :sad:, so I'm seeking recommendations for a good Korean BBQ place in Chicago. I prefer North Side, and I'm figuring, based on neighborhoods, that's the default location anyway. Northern or NW Burbs would be fine too.

Anyone know of any 'stand out' or memorable places?

Thanks,

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Thanks Dean...

The place that used to be near us featured a procession of what seemed to be dozens of tasty and colorful relishes/salads/side dishes and then raw, marinated meats which you cooked yourself on a grill in the center of your round table.

I've been to a few other Korean places (North Side) where the m.o. was about the same, but can't remember their exact names or locations. Since we are planning an outing with some kiddies (and some grown-ups who've never experienced it), I figure this type of place will be fun.

Good luck with the cooking today...I'll be hosting some family over here (ugh!).

=R=

Edited by ronnie_suburban (log)

The place that used to be near us featured a procession of what seemed to be dozens of tasty and colorful relishes/salads/side dishes and then raw, marinated meats which you cooked yourself on a grill in the center of your round table.

pretty much standard op procedure.

a few:

Gobawoo

2660 Golf Rd. Glenview

847-729-2505

Solliphana

243 W. Golf Rd. Schaumburg

847-519-1717

New Seoul Korean Restaurant,

638 W. Algonquin Rd, Des Plaines,

one a Korean friend of mine took me to:

Hai Woon Dae Restaurant

6240 N. California

Chicago, IL 60659

773-764-8018

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be"

Thanks for the tips SW....is Hai Woon Dae the only one you've been to? What did you think of it?

Again, I'm a bit foggy on the specifics, but I seem to remember having one Korean BBQ experience not too far from there.

=R=

Thanks for the tips SW....is Hai Woon Dae the only one you've been to?  What did you think of it?

Again, I'm a bit foggy on the specifics, but I seem to remember having one Korean BBQ experience not too far from there.

No I've been to more than a few Korean places, great stuff.

There are plenty of Korean places on the north side like Hai Woon Dae.

The largest variance has been the level of service and quality of the myriad of dishes served w/the BBQ, not really in the BBQ itself.

• 2 weeks later...

Ronnie Suburban and I went to Hai Woon Dae today for lunch. What a great place. We ordered Bul Gogi and Kal Bi (?, they were grilled short ribs). Everything was fantastic. They brought out 11 types of salads/vegetables, a big plate of some omelet type thing, and a bowl of kimchi soup. There was so much food that Ronnie and I couldn't even finish it all (if you met us that's saying a lot). This was my first time in a Korean restaurant and I loved it. I'll definately be going back.

I also learned Ronnie's real last name, it's not Suburban :laugh: .

Ronnie Suburban and I went to Hai Woon Dae today for lunch.

Is there a community-type forum on e-gullet? By community I mean threads listing when/where fellow e-gulleters are getting together.

Ronnie Suburban and I went to Hai Woon Dae today for lunch.

Is there a community-type forum on e-gullet? By community I mean threads listing when/where fellow e-gulleters are getting together.

SW, I was going to ask you if you'd like to hit Beinlich's together some time when you are in the area. It's just a few minutes away from my office.

Today's trip was persuant to another thread here about Penzey's...it was a 'spice run' for Guajolote and I with a really nice Korean lunch (on your recommendation) added in as a bonus. I take no credit for the day...it was Dean's masterful plan and it worked out wonderfully. I will post some pics of the food ASAP. I even received some cukes and 'maters from Dean's garden when we returned to his house. :smile:

=R=

Here are a few pictures of the food. It really was sensational. I only wish that we could have asked more questions about it. Unfortunately, there was a bit of a language barrier. I'd love to hear from anyone who could help detail some of the things in the pictures.

=R=

sidespread-small.jpg

The arrary of side dishes

soup-small.jpg

Soup

bulgogi-small.jpg

Kal-Bi

kal-bi-small.jpg

Bulgogi

pancake-small.jpg

Pancake

Edited by ronnie_suburban (log)

• 6 months later...

i couldn't see the pics so I can't help, sorry. For those looking for an easy intro into Korean food in a bit of a "hip" setting, Jinju is a good place, but getting down and dirty and heading to the "Korea town" area is the best for true Korean food. I will suggest a few of my favorites in the area when I have the chance. One of the side dishes, called panchon (i think), is ALWAYS going to be kimchi, which is the spicy, fermented cabbage (and probably takes other forms too). The omelet sounds like it was a dish called pajun (not Korean so sorry if spellin mistakes!) which often comes with assorted seafood in it (haemul pajun). I can say that any stop in that area for me undoubtedly requires a side trip to Great Seas on Lawrence a small Chinese restaurant run by Koreans with entirely mediocre food with the exception of their "spicy chicken wings", like nothing you've ever had before!!! So good!

Ironically, I just took the pics down last night and it's too late to edit the post. That's why the links are broken. :sad:

I'll try to re-upload them again asap. :smile:

=R=

I've been to Hae Woon Dae few times & really like it. One of the things I look for in a good Korean BBQ place is whether or not they use real coals. Way better than gas. Also they have a good array of panchan (small dishes).

Another place I like Kang Nam at 4849 N. Kedzie. It used to be a buffet a few years ago but they switched to table service. They have really big, long tables available, so it's a good place if you have lots of people.

My friend has a favorite place on Lawrence which is called, appropriately enough, "Korean Restaurant". I don't know if they have BBQ, but I'll check with her.

They don't have grill-your-own at the table, but the food is great. Especially late at 4 am! :biggrin:

Try Jangmo Nim, I have never been disappointed. I was taken their by my Korean friends. It's their favorite. They have a gas grill at the table, unfortunately no coal. They are open until 11am, yes thats 11 A.M. I keep forgetting to see what time they open every time I go.

Jangmo Nim

6320 N. Lincoln Ave.

Chicago IL 60659

773 509 0211

They have parking in the rear.

Another place I like Kang Nam at 4849 N. Kedzie. It used to be a buffet a few years ago but they switched to table service.

Speaking the unspeakable name! The service was always bad and there was the foreboding sign above the buffet threatening that any group that wasted food would be charged an additional fee that basically equalled the cost of dinner. Yet despite all this, the excessive amounts of meat and other foods available for an unbelievably reasonable price and coal grills instead of gas made it one of my favorite places in the city. It closed down for a little while and reopened without the aformentioned buffet. I've been back a few time since, its still good food, but the prices make me cringe (considering no improvement in quality) as I think back to the old days...

• 4 months later...

My wife and I tried Hai Woon Dae tonight and loved it. We shared the BBQ combo which was probably enough food for 4.

Question - the large beef bone that comes with the short ribs - how is that used? I wasn't sure whether to grill it and eat the marrow, or use it to clean our grill grate as I saw others doing, or what...

Went to san soo gap san after work at 1:30 am. A tasty experience. The grills were hot, the brews were chilled and my wife returned with me 3 days later. The owner was hilarious to add an edge of excitement as well.

Edited by inventolux (log)

Future Food - our new television show airing 3/30 @ 9pm cst:

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/tv/future-food/

Hope you enjoy the show! Homaro Cantu

Chef/Owner of Moto Restaurant

www.motorestaurant.com

• 1 year later...

My son and I went to san soo gap san yesterday. Hole in the table for the grill, big hood over the table, great spicy soup and nicely seasoned meats. A very good selection of condiments and Kim Chee. Oriental Brewery beer. Not quite as spicey as Gin go Gae but I don't think that Gin go Gae is in business anymore. Our first experience 20 years ago at Gin go Gae left both my wife and i a little queasey from the spice and the garlic. We split a six pack in short order beauase of the heat!

san soo gap san is open 24 hours/day and I reccamend it. -Dick

My son and I went to san soo gap san yesterday. Hole in the table for the grill....

to clarify, was it a charcoal grill? (as I've been to electric or gas/propane establishments as well)

My son and I went to san soo gap san yesterday. Hole in the table for the grill....

to clarify, was it a charcoal grill? (as I've been to electric or gas/propane establishments as well)

San Soo Gap San does indeed have live coals. It's becoming my go to place for Korean BBQ & it doesn't hurt that it's open 24 hrs/day either.

San Soo Gap San does indeed have live coals. It's becoming my go to place for Korean BBQ & it doesn't hurt that it's open 24 hrs/day either.

Jin Ahn, the maitre'd at trio, brought some friends and I to a place called Sol Ga which i found to be amazing. It is located west on Bryn Mar to either lincoln or milwaukee, my memory escapes me. Also, right on argyle is a place where you can get a plate of bbq duck or pork for $3.50 and if I am correct it is called korean Bbq.

"mmmmm purple" Homer Simpson

. . . Also, right on argyle is a place where you can get a plate of bbq duck or pork for $3.50 and if I am correct it is called korean Bbq.

I think this place is called Sun Wah BBQ but I could be mistaken. I've been there a few times; including once on a Saturday afternoon when 3 dudes were bringing a huge, whole pig up to the front of the store from the cooker somewhere in back.

If we're talking about the same place, here's their info:

Sun Wah Bar-BQ Restaurant

1134 W. Argyle St

Chicago

773 769-1254

=R=

Sun Wa is not a Korean BBQ as the food is already Q'd or more correctly slow cooked becuase I don't think they use coals and you don't Q it yourself. The duck is amazing which we always take a whole one home with us when in the area. More Chinese/Vietnamese than Korean. -Dick